Mussel question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

khrake

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Greeting I have 9 large mussels all seem healthy and have moved them selves to different parts of a 40 gal tank all but one have dug themselves into the substrate and seem to be happy as a clam. One however has this stuff on it it is nowhere else in the tank and it open and closes like normal but somehow I feel some thing is up with it can any one tell me what it is and if I should be doing something about it

Attachments

• FE48320E-1426-4BBC-8150-30E3CCFC278E.jpeg
    FE48320E-1426-4BBC-8150-30E3CCFC278E.jpeg
    30.1 KB · Views: 60
These are freshwater, clams???
Are you talking about the white part on the shell or
excess fluff, maybe algae around the opening?

Where did you get these? From a market, aquarium store, online, a lake?

You can make sure the shell is closed an gently brush around the shell with a new (dollar store) soft toothbrush. Ysing tank water in a container safe for aquatic creatures. To avoid this stuff from being in the tank water.

If its is the white on the shell, be very delicate, the brown part wears off if bumped and scraped.

The tank has been running for about two months and as to where the mussels came from well they were purchased online from a person in NC and I was told that they came from a pond on his property. It just seemed strange that only one out of 9 has this on it. I have been running a tank like this for the past two years until December when one of the older veterans put something in it and killed every thing in the tank. Had to relocate the tank to safer area where it was secure. I feed the mussels with algae tablets one time a week and that and the fish I think should be ok. I cleaned the shell as recommended and it did look like algae an it was very active when I touched it I closed up tight real fast. I have been trying to find out how much I shoul be feedin them and have not found any way of telling each mussel I have are about 3 to 4 inch

Back
Top Bottom