My 1 1/2 week old 90G will be a reef tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stacy9901

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Thought I ould post a picture of my new tank. Right now there is about 45lbs of live rock, hoping to add some small fish this weekend, waiting on the RO/DI so I can do a water change first. I also have new LED lights on order, should be here this weekend. I will post more pics as I slowly make progress!

Attachments

• 90G Saltwater.jpg
    90G Saltwater.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 210
Looks good! Have you been testing through your cycle? Week and a half seems like a short cycle to be adding fish so soon. Def wait for your ro-di and your first water change ;) what's your plan for stocking? I would love a tank that big...

looking good Stacy
welcome to AA
I would wait till your tank cycles before adding fish
SW fish are not cheap so you don't want to risk loosing stock

I am testing every day, and having the LFS verify the results. One of the kids there has 4 saltwater tanks and has a ton of knowledge. Taking water in on Sunday, he thinks we will be good to go for some damsels to help the tank along.

As for the stock, I am still trying to figure that out. I'm being very picky about the fish, I want to eventually get to SFS and LFS. New lights are on the way to handle that, but taking it very slow. But of course, I do want to clowns!

be sure you want damsels in your tank cause once there in they are almost impossible to catch ,a lot of ppl here despise them as demons of the saltwater hobby

Agree, skip the damsels and wait for the fish you want to keep long term - there are so many threads on here from people having to tear their tanks apart to catch unwanted damsels!

That is great info regarding the damsels. It has been the first fish everyone has thrown out there I have talked to. I am going to post my tests when I get home tonight, get opinions from people on my progress. I haven't had a saltwater in about 8 years, really wanting to start this one off right!

Remember, clown fish are also damsels. I have had a few damsels in my tank for ages. If there is enough room, they just stake out a small territory and do fine after that. I have 5 yellow tails that are over 12 years old. But in a crowded tank it can be a different outcome.

I've been pretty busy, just had surgery on my hand. Here are some pics of what is in there now. Everything is thriving, parameters are great. Added an in tank refugium which has helped tremendously. Fish are 1 yellow eye tang, 2 pajama cardinals, and 2 maroon clowns. One thing to note, one maroon has no tailfin, rescued it from petco and he is thriving!!

Attachments

• image-3009197110.jpg
    image-3009197110.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 157
  • image-1303626804.jpg
    image-1303626804.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 143
  • image-3822592729.jpg
    image-3822592729.jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 146
  • image-2222760198.jpg
    image-2222760198.jpg
    180.1 KB · Views: 151
  • image-2572208614.jpg
    image-2572208614.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 145
  • image-2515540164.jpg
    image-2515540164.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 141
  • image-1543704727.jpg
    image-1543704727.jpg
    199.3 KB · Views: 155
Just added the new lights on the tank, taotronics dimmable. They are awesome!! Changes the entire look of the tank! I have sloped ceilings so I had to find the right hangars. Also configured the protein skinner and a new hob refugium getting its innards tomorrow!

image-1518013009.jpg

Amazon. This is a list of the newest additions, finished up the last piece last night, started Tuesday night:

Aquatic Life stands, 2-pack for the lights
TaoTronics 120 watt dimmable
Aquafuge Small Deluxe w/light HOB refugium
Coralvue Technology BH-2000 Octopus w/extrnal 2000 pump HOB skimmer
Aquatop 300 watt Titanium submersible heater w/external control

These items are in the mail right now:

Tunze Aquawing Aquarium Fan
ReefKeeper Lite + SL-1 Expansion Unit w/pH probe

That should be the last of the upgrades for right now. The skimmer is awesome, barely makes any noise. Pulled out a ton of stuff in the first day and the micro bubbles are almost non-existent now. Refugium is minimally stocked right now, have an order in right now to finish stocking. Looking very foward to getting the ReefKeeper, can't wait to get the lights on a timer and test out the wave function.

After this, just going to let it sit and let all the corals go so I can frag and transfer them to my nano that is set up, ready for more corals.

Attachments

• photo (2).JPG
    photo (2).JPG
    92.2 KB · Views: 149
Back
Top Bottom