My 120 has cycled and want to add Livestock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

InfernoST

Aquarium Advice Addict
My tank just completed it's cycle today and have a few questions regarding livestock choices. Please note i have not yet done the 50% PWC yet (I've been busy with the canopy, it's almost done too) These are the parameters as of today.

PH = 8.2
KH = 14
HN3/HN4 = 0 :D
NO2 = 0 :D
NO3 = 12.5 mg/l
Specific Gravity = 1.022
Water Temp = 80

I'm going to do the 50% over this weekend and re-post the new readings, what I would like to add is two types of clown fish or two of the same, naturally one of them has to be an authentic NEMO. The clean up crew I'm not to sure about exactly what to get. Please help me I need to get the stickers off of the tank, my daughters adds fish stickers daily.:)

Inferno - can I ask what type of 'test kit' you use?

You are able to measure at very specific numbers (ie. N03 = 12.5) ... where as I can barely tell the different between 5 and 10 on my API test cards.

Inferno - can I ask what type of 'test kit' you use?

You are able to measure at very specific numbers (ie. N03 = 12.5) ... where as I can barely tell the different between 5 and 10 on my API test cards.
I'm using the Tetratest test kits and the graduations on the NO3 color chart are 0,12.5,25,50 & 100 mg/l. The colors from the actual test to the chart are really good the only time it's hard is when it's way of the chart which I found with the NO2 test while cycling My 120. I must say it was a really, really, dark pretty shade of red but when it came back into range it's pretty easy to determine the value. I also like to read them outside or held up to a window with the chart because the lighting indoors seems to exaggerate the test results (In my case for the worse). I also confirmed the readings with three LFS in my area so I know the way I'm reading the tests is good for me.

Congradulations!!!!

Now is the scary time. All this planning and now you have to really do something. Have you any idea of what fish you want? I would suggest that you think of all the fish you would like in the tank at the end (make sure you consult your daughter). In fact my daughter is next to me making sure I type correctly:)

Once you have worked that out; you can see if they fit in your tank (quantity and size) and also see is they fit together. I have had my 1st tank now for 4 years (now my daughter), and my 'new' tank is 12 months old. When I started to think what fish I wanted; I have a list of about 15-20. After a little research and planning I came up with my stock plan. And all is good.

Saying this, I still would go out and 'find nemo'.

I am no expert; however, I would say that to get 2 of the same species and not to mix the clowns, I have seen it done well with a largish tank. See what others think.

Good Luck - Good Planning

A mated pair of clowns would be great. I might have missed it earlier but what type tank is this going to be.

Congradulations!!!!

Now is the scary time. All this planning and now you have to really do something. Have you any idea of what fish you want? I would suggest that you think of all the fish you would like in the tank at the end (make sure you consult your daughter). In fact my daughter is next to me making sure I type correctly:)

Once you have worked that out; you can see if they fit in your tank (quantity and size) and also see is they fit together. I have had my 1st tank now for 4 years (now my daughter), and my 'new' tank is 12 months old. When I started to think what fish I wanted; I have a list of about 15-20. After a little research and planning I came up with my stock plan. And all is good.

Saying this, I still would go out and 'find nemo'.

I am no expert; however, I would say that to get 2 of the same species and not to mix the clowns, I have seen it done well with a largish tank. See what others think.

Good Luck - Good Planning
Thanks man, I didn't tell my daughter yet that mother nature said we can now by fish (I started taking the stickers off of the tank, she hasn't noticed yet). I have a list in my head which I should put on paper, i did research them to verify compatibility and that they reef friendly (with My daughter). Now that you mention it 2 of the same species is OK,Thanks for the reminder.
I'm going to make the list and post it. Talk to you soon, take care

A mated pair of clowns would be great. I might have missed it earlier but what type tank is this going to be.
It's starting out as 120 FOWLR with provisions for reef capability. I'm going to do the 50% PWC this weekend then re-post the water test results.

120g you will have a lot of fun with this.
Look forward to seeing your stock list.
How old is your daughter?
Do you remember the thread I found Marlin & Nemo in/on my tank? She is 5 and has plastered the tank with stickers.:p

Sorry; yes I do. When I did this I had my daughter jabbering in my ear; and at 10yo boy does she jabber!!!!!!!!!!!!! (she is next to me now), so I was not thinking straight. (she is the best-so she said)

I'm using the Tetratest test kits and the graduations on the NO3 color chart are 0,12.5,25,50 & 100 mg/l. The colors from the actual test to the chart are really good the only time it's hard is when it's way of the chart which I found with the NO2 test while cycling My 120. I must say it was a really, really, dark pretty shade of red but when it came back into range it's pretty easy to determine the value. I also like to read them outside or held up to a window with the chart because the lighting indoors seems to exaggerate the test results (In my case for the worse). I also confirmed the readings with three LFS in my area so I know the way I'm reading the tests is good for me.

Thank you ... I'll check out the TetraTest kit next time I'm at my LFS.

:D
Sorry; yes I do. When I did this I had my daughter jabbering in my ear; and at 10yo boy does she jabber!!!!!!!!!!!!! (she is next to me now), so I was not thinking straight. (she is the best-so she said)
Not a problem, when they start going with their little mouths they can really mess up your head.

InfernoST, great advice above. Go for it.
Thanks TC. I tried my point and shoot Sony to see if I could get better shots close up and you know what My Sony really stinks, back into the case it goes. I'm going to start looking for a macro for the D70.

Back
Top Bottom