My 180 Gallon Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here are some closer pics. I was thinking about 3 coats of semigloss polyurethane and buff it out real nice. Not use any additional stain. The poly will give the natural pine a little softer yellow. May need a little more sanding on the darker spots on the front.

Attachments

• IMG_5624.jpg
    IMG_5624.jpg
    183.5 KB · Views: 79
  • Image1491778301.125818.jpg
    Image1491778301.125818.jpg
    180.9 KB · Views: 76
I like it the way it is but what do I know im siting in a camo recliner lol

Well I'm kinda clumsy so I got to have a little water protection on it. There is usually at least a half gallon of water everywhere after a water change. I really like the grain too. Here is the other side before sanding.

Attachments

• Image1491778655.205499.jpg
    Image1491778655.205499.jpg
    220.7 KB · Views: 70
If we're voting definitely distressed, my vote never counts at work, at home, politics, etc. Lol

Finally, a chance to make a difference in the world!

Possibly go over with a lighter stain? Then the darker stain would show through? Wood is yellow pine though. Not hardwood unfortunately.

I like the oil rubbed idea.

Coffee stain?

And What isn't there to like about coffee?!?

Natural stain very nice. I also like natural, less chemicals...

What about the coating of the hydrophobic spray when all done (not natural :oops:) but seemingly useful.

Apparently called super hydrophobic spray, going by many brand names. I always thought the next time I plan to use a wood table/stand it would be a good addition. Especially on the open end cuts of wood which usually wick up the water like a straw anyway!?!

I think your plan is good. Too me real wood is beautiful. Dont matter what it is. Could wax it ??

So I have been thinking about stocking and I kind of want some Clown Loaches for this tank. Do you all think it will be big enough for a shoal of 5?

Inside dimensions are 71 L x 19 W x 24 H

Calculates out to 135 gallons. I would also have a few Angelfish, maybe 1 Gourami, and a possibly a small school of Rasbora or similar. Filtration will be a 40 gallon breeder sump with Mag 9.5 return.

You got my blessing on the clown loaches but know they own the tank...
Some writing says they may live 50 years...
My 11 are between 12 -17 years old I would guess.
I would also say get more then 5 ,but they may dominate the tank as they grow...

On your return pump you will want something bigger I think..
I use the 9.5 on my 75 reef with one overflow ,so with one tube set correctly it is not pushing more then 700 gph as most overflows handle no more then 750 aprox.
I won't push jeboa even though I use them.If you get one ,then get it's replacement with it..
But digital is the way to go..No ball valves as you can just turn it up or down by pushing a button.
They are quieter and cooler..I do think mags are little loud, and they transfer heat.Possibly +5 degrees in the summer from my experience.

Well the Mag 9.5 came with the tank. Probably upgrade later when all the fish get a little bigger.

Oh and check out this baffle jig I built. I am gonna put a clamp across the top and barely snug it to keep it in place. No moving glass when you are running a bead. I think it will work pretty good.

Attachments

• IMG_5629.jpg
    IMG_5629.jpg
    238.9 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_5630.jpg
    IMG_5630.jpg
    217.5 KB · Views: 65
You got my blessing on the clown loaches but know they own the tank...

Some writing says they may live 50 years...

My 11 are between 12 -17 years old I would guess.

I would also say get more then 5 ,but they may dominate the tank as they grow...

On your return pump you will want something bigger I think..

I use the 9.5 on my 75 reef with one overflow ,so with one tube set correctly it is not pushing more then 700 gph as most overflows handle no more then 750 aprox.

I won't push jeboa even though I use them.If you get one ,then get it's replacement with it..

But digital is the way to go..No ball valves as you can just turn it up or down by pushing a button.

They are quieter and cooler..I do think mags are little loud, and they transfer heat.Possibly +5 degrees in the summer from my experience.

I agree with the 750gph per 1" drain overflow, I've got a 1375gph pump wide open on my 180g and it's pretty much got both my overflows maxed. Could maybe handle a little more so it's almost dead on the 750 in my estimation.

Oh and check out this baffle jig I built. I am gonna put a clamp across the top and barely snug it to keep it in place. No moving glass when you are running a bead. I think it will work pretty good.

That is slick !(y)
Jigs rule when it comes to build..You better patent that one quick..:dance:
Lets think....:whistle: The company name; Baffling Solutions ,the product
The Stabilizer....:lol:

I like to look at reflections in peoples tanks ,but when I get to sneak peaks in people shops/garage I take notes..

As far as the Clown Loaches, I don't mind keeping them for years. In fact I would rather enjoy it. Some people keep birds that live for 80 years. There is a sense of accomplishment that goes with longevity too. Oh and that would be a great conversation piece. "Wow nice aquarium!" " Yeah I have had those fish there for 20 years!"

But as far as numbers go what would be a good number for a group of clowns in this size tank? I really want a few Angels also so I would need to account for them too.

As far as the Clown Loaches, I don't mind keeping them for years. In fact I would rather enjoy it. Some people keep birds that live for 80 years. There is a sense of accomplishment that goes with longevity too. Oh and that would be a great conversation piece. "Wow nice aquarium!" " Yeah I have had those fish there for 20 years!"

But as far as numbers go what would be a good number for a group of clowns in this size tank? I really want a few Angels also so I would need to account for them too.

It's a swear word but, I ------- love the way you fixed them baffles! I get the job done but not like that. Cheers. Stolen.

Yeah it is a good feeling to say I've had them for x years (since 2005 if you're wondering) it's like an accomplishment.
And like coral, I'm another bloke that's got 11 lovely loaches, you won't get bored with them mate.

Also a fan of DIY stuff.... Cheers.

Back
Top Bottom