My 180 Gallon Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I went ahead and ordered the two 36 inch Finnex 24/7 SE. They were 119 each with 15% off from Dr Fosters and Smith. Couldn't pass it up. I hope they are worth it. I just wish they made a 72 inch one instead of two 36 inch.

I got the last baffle in place and taped off. I only put silicone on one side since there is only 1" between the two baffles. It is non load bearing and just a bubble trap so I think it will be ok. I think it turned out pretty good for my first sump I built.

The bubble trap got me thinking about overflow standpipes. What does everyone run? Durso or Herbie? I have 2 holes in each weir so I could do the Herbie but I would have to plumb my return over the back. Wouldn't be too big of a deal though. I have read the Durso can be kinda picky as far as flow rate and noise. I think they take a lot of tweaking. Just looking for thoughts and opinions.

Attachments

• IMG_5646.jpg
    IMG_5646.jpg
    187 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_5647.jpg
    IMG_5647.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_5648.jpg
    IMG_5648.jpg
    200 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_5649.jpg
    IMG_5649.jpg
    221.6 KB · Views: 81
I think my 180 would be considered durso?
It is an aqueon with factory Megs flows...
https://www.amazon.com/All-Glass-Aq...id=1492546202&sr=8-1&keywords=aqueon+megaflow
They are not silent but not horrible..I have run overflow boxes that were much louder..

Great build I love how you did the baffle holder in place. I once had a mega overflow 125 from Aqueon and i used the durso mega overflow kits on mine I had a little gurgle and burping on one return side that went down to the skimmer section but I pushed the return pipe down to where it would stop and the sound went away and all i ever heard was the skimmer pump in my tank. I sold that tank and now my 180 Aqueon dual overflow will be here Tuesday evening.
How are you going to plumb your tank?

I am going to do the durso in the overflow. Run 1" drain line and return line with pvc. I'll probably use schedule 40 pvc because I am having a hard time finding thin wall in the smaller diameter. I am going to install a few unions for ease of maintenance and use a section of flexible tubing coming right off the return pump to reduce vibration. Probably a gate valve for flow control but I'd rather have an adjustable flow D.C. pump. Don't know about lengths yet. I'll just have to get it set up and in place first.

Got my Finnex 24/7 SE in and put one on my 45 gallon. I like it so far. My only complaint is the moon phase could be a little dimmer. The colors are a lot more rich than with the straight 6500k bulbs.

I also got the sump totally done and started painting the inside of the stand and doors. It shouldn't be too much longer!! Maybe a in a few months...[emoji38]. Seriously probably a few months. Ha

Attachments

• IMG_5653.jpg
    IMG_5653.jpg
    204.6 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_5654.jpg
    IMG_5654.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 69
Well I have been working on some finishing and painting. Sanded it all down and put three coats of polyurethane on the doors to see how it looks. I like the look so far.

Attachments

• IMG_5670.jpg
    IMG_5670.jpg
    258.7 KB · Views: 61
Update: I got the stand finished and painted. I am pleased with the way it turned out. Lots of sanding and three coats of semigloss polyurethane made a lot of difference. Ignore the pop up cramed in the shed. LOL

IMG_5677.jpg

Also put two coats of gloss white on the inside of the stand and hood to make it look clean.

IMG_5678.jpgIMG_5679.jpgImage1494899876.199266.jpg

I think this weekend I am going to move the critters from my 20 gallon to my 45 gallon and take the 20 gal down. I am going to put the filter from the 20 on the 45 to keep it cycled so I can use the 20 and filter for a quarantine for incoming stock. I don't know yet if I am going to take the 45 down yet. I had originally just planned to have only the large 135 tank but when I told my 6 year old daughter she told me to put the 45 where the 20 gallon was, put her princess castle and submarine in it, and leave it going. I don't know. I built a really nice stand for the 45 and it will fit perfectly where the 20 gallon is so why not?!?

So recap:
(1)-20 coming down and use for quarantine filter going on 45 for safe keeping for now

(2)-45 moving to the spot where the 20 was per instruction from the 6 year old mini boss (it will probably have like 10,000 guppies in it [emoji849]). It is actually a good spot because it is in the family room and I can look at it while sitting on the couch. The large tank is going in the dining room and I don't have a couch in that room.

(3)-135 stand and tank moving to the spot where the 45 was in the dining room. When I get the sump wrestled in and the tank on the stand I am going to look at plumbing options.

All this work the last two weeks was done in like 30 minute to one hour blocks. I would come out after the kids went to bed and slap on a coat of poly. It actually worked well because I didn't get impatient and sand before the first coat was dry.

Anyways I can't wait to get it in the house and start on everything else.

I also made some stands for the media in the sump and put together some of the bio balls that I got with the tank originally. I am going to do sponges and floss in the first chamber, more sponges or try the bio balls in the second, and grow the devil ivy in the third. I also have to test it out. Got to rig up a bucket with some bulkheads sometime. Image1494902215.774129.jpgImage1494902015.770167.jpg

Nice work on the stand...
No excuse for having more then one tank even if one is big is needed in my book...

Got the other two tanks moved and got the 135 in its final resting place. It is starting to come together!

Attachments

• IMG_5697.jpg
    IMG_5697.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 64
  • Image1495922950.271202.jpg
    Image1495922950.271202.jpg
    178.3 KB · Views: 56
Got the plumbing all glued up today. I am going to let it cure for a day before doing leak test. Hopefully everything will work as planned.IMG_5699.jpgIMG_5700.jpgIMG_5701.jpgIMG_5702.jpg

Back
Top Bottom