my 1st Marine Tank - big move, pics! questions too

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stuquarium

Aquarium Advice Activist
hey guys,
on day 2, it looks like the move was a complete success!

the fish are healthy and active. the tank is in postion and i've taken some pics. it's a 55g tank, housing 15kgs of live rock, even the anenemas are starting to sprout! 2 percula clowns, a blue damsel and a humbug

it came with a stunning marine blue light. i have questions too..
how long can i leave the light on for? 8+ hours? also with the anenema, will they need feeding? if so what? also is it ok to add a starfish? and one of those cleaning crabs?

heres some pics
humbug, and damsel
clowns1.jpg

Percula Clowns 1
clowns2.jpg

Percula Clowns 2
clowns3.jpg

the Damsel (he's actually blue but you can't tell fomr this pic)

dam1.jpg

The Tank from the Left
tankl.jpg

the tank
tank2.jpg

The tank with no lights on
tanknolights.jpg

Where is the anemone?? You will have to add some white lighting for the anemone, they need good lighting (somebody chime in if I am wrong). Am I understanding that the tank was an established tank that was given to you?? If not your in trouble. Good luck with the tank, SW is an adventure, but well worth it.

a3.jpg

there it is. theres smaller ones sprouting on different prts of the rock

this was an establish tank, he brought as much of his water with him as he could, and i had mixed water ready to go,
it was like a 50% water change for them.

Now I see the anemone :lol: ! How long did he have it set up? I guess if that was the lighting that he had and the anemones are healthy, it may be enough. If you want to add corals and such (which you will because this hobby is like crack, you always need more) you will have to add lighting.

lol thanks mate

for a while there i was worried that the anemeoes where a apatisia, but luckly they are not.

when i can afford it i will deffinatly add coral. i know how this hobby sucks you in,
i've been a discus owner for a while now ;)

Love the stand great color!!!! Please post what lighting you have, (power compact, metal halide or high output) how many bulbs and what wattage the bulbs are. That will help to determine that ability for future coral addition.

Your going to want to consider a lighting upgrade soon. Very soon.
Till then leave your lighting on for 12-14 hours a day and replace the blue bulbs with bright white lights. I suggest the "Power-Glo" bulbs available at your LFS. the blue ones are not doing you any good right now.

go ahead add a clean up crew. probibly 20 or so miniture blue-legged crabs and about 2 dozen nassarius snails.

do you have any other form of filtration besides your LR? Either add about 50 lbs more rock quick or add a canister filter or something. You don't want to have your nitrates start creeping up on you.

yup i have an Ehiem cannister filter for the tank, power head too.

i might just get a power-glo bulb, i like the blue, but yeah if it's not doing anything apart from being blue i'll change it... oh when i change the globe do i still leave the light 12 + hours?

thanks for the info!

Back
Top Bottom