My 2 freshwater tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Abrams96

Aquarium Advice Activist
Here are my 2 tanks.
65 gallon tall community tank, was planted til acquiring 2 silver dollars. Now they are fake plants.
55 gallon long NA native tank. Kitty Litter substrate. Everything else including fish I have collected near my house.

ForumRunner_20120506_175713.jpg

ForumRunner_20120506_175956.jpg

Currently it has some creek Chubs and a variety of different shiners. And I use Walmart brand special Kitty cat litter. It's %100 baked clay and great for live plants.

can you post pics of the chubs and shiners? not entirely sure what chubs are and have only seen the emerald shiners in wy renegades bog tank

edit: maybe i should have refreshed before i posted...

I have 10 fish in total in the 55. It's hard to get pictures of them as they are all quite quick. The top are my 2 largest Chubs the bottom is a mimic shiner and juvenile Chubs

that looks awesome. I had no idea you could use kitty litter as substraght.
Is that driftwood on the surface?

Yes if you google it, you will find lots of information. It's cheap and looks great depending on where it's coming from. And yes that is driftwood floating on the surface.

Abrams96 said:
Yes if you google it, you will find lots of information. It's cheap and looks great depending on where it's coming from. And yes that is driftwood floating on the surface.

wow ill have to look into that. and try it with a new tank. I like it!

Very interesting on the cat litter. I'm tired of my pool filter sand and want something new.

Fishandmusic81 said:
I love the 55 tank it looks completely natural the way the driftwood is at the top and casts a shadow real nice 

Thank you, I tried to make it look as natural as possible so the fish feel at home since they are all wild caught.

Mudfrog said:
Very interesting on the cat litter. I'm tired of my pool filter sand and want something new.

yes I have some PFS in my tropical tank but it's useless for plants. I highly recommend the kitty litter, just make sure the only ingredient is baked clay, non clumping, non scented.

Loafingstone said:
Looks great, what type of plants are they ?

Thanks, so far there is hornwort, some type of aquatic grass, the skinny guy at the back i'm unsure of but is everywhere around my house and a Java fern that I rescued from the silver dollars in my tropical tank.

FreshwaterTropical said:
We're do you catch these fish, net?

They are all caught in ponds and streams around my home using a small dipnet. Just be careful that the fish you catch are legal in your area to catch as many natives are very similar in appearance. Some being legal and some not.

Back
Top Bottom