My 20 gallon fresh water tank so far

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishguy22

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone!
I recently got into this hobby about 2 months ago and it has been a fun learning experience. I have a 20 gallon vertical tank. My tank has 1 apple snail, 2 orange dwarf gouramis, 2 peppered corey catfish, 1 golden plectomus ( I think it is, just hard to tell ) 2 Madagascar rainbow fish, 3 zebra danios, and then 3 kuhli loaches. ,150 watt heater, 5 plants , pool filter sand for substrate, 2 5100k lights with timer. 1 whisper 10 air pump and 1 whisper 40 air pump. I recently converted the tank with pool filter sand , I used to have gravel but I saw that the loaches do better with sand. When I did that i removed 50% of the water and put a new charcoal filter in my EX20 water filter. Before I did that change I had the tank setup for 4 weeks. Now my question is when i did that, did I reset the water cycle in my tank by putting new substrate and a new filter ? I saw that a cycle for a new tank takes 6-8 weeks ? Also I read somewhere where people use biological ceramic rings instead of the charcoal filters because its better at keeping the ammonia and nitrate levels down ? My water perimeters so far are a PH of 7.1, Ammonia at 2.0 and Nitrate nearly 0. I know that ammonia level is too high but isn't it ok for a cycling tank ? For the past week I was doing daily water changes and brought the ammonia from 4.0 - 2.0. And with each water change I was adding AMMO lock and that API stress zyme stuff. How can I bring my ammonia level down ? At week 7 with my tank and did all those changes at about week 5.
Any opinions would be great! IMG_3893.jpg

IMG_3894.jpg

IMG_3895.jpg

IMG_3896.jpg

Charcoal does not remove ammonia, nitrites or nitrates. The ceramic rings are what beneficial bacteria can colonize on and process those three as the filter passes water through them.

So could i still keep my water filter but get those Ceramic rings put them in a net bag then put that in the water filter to replace the charcoal filter ? thank you

Yes, you can throw them in a mesh bag or something similar and throw it on your filter. Typically after a sponge or filter floss which will take care of bigger chunks of waste (mechanical filtration).

cool, well when I do that will that restart my water cycle? Still learning about it and trying to understand it.

What's in your filter now? As long as you are not introducing new bioload, i.e. new fish, you won't be starting a new cycle. The bacteria is everywhere in your tank already doing its thing. The ceramic media just provides a great surface area for the bacteria.

Whisper EX Aquarium Carbon Filter, about 2 weeks old, so i would take that out then add the rings instead ? then i should see my ammonia drop over time ?

You can leave the carbon in there, it's not doing any harm, plus the fabric prob has some bacteria on it that you might want to keep until the new media gets its own.

Whatever you decide to do, keep up with the water tests and partial water changes, that ammonia is really hurting the fish. Are you checking for nitrites as well? I'm concerned with the fact that you are showing 0 nitrates. You should be showing some if your water is properly cycled. As your water cycled you should have seen a rise in nitrites and then a subsequent bump in nitrates...

ok, well my nitrates was at 40 a week ago then started doing daily water changes and brought it down, sorry its between 0-5 on the color chart for right now. I ordered the API master test kit that comes with everything.

So I recently got those ceramic rings to replace my charcoal filter and they seemed to help a little bit with the ammonia. I got the API master test kit and here are my results. PH of 7.2 , High range PH was 7.4 Ammonia is 2 , Nitrite is 0 and Nitrate is almost 5. Any reason why my ammonia has not gone down yet after putting that new ceramic rings in ? Or do I have to wait for those to colonize with bacteria ? Also every few days I have been doing 25% water changes. I read that when using AMMO LOCK it removes ammonia which i have been using but when testing for Ammonia it will still show up on the test but in non toxic form ? One of my plants is decaying but all my fish seem fine. Would that decaying plant raise my ammonia level?
Also I will post a link to a similar question to my issue
http://www.myaquariumclub.com/hello.-my-tank-used-to-show-0-ppm-ammonia-and-nitrite-while-5.0ppm-nitrate....-1373414.html

So now my test results are 7.1 ph ,7.4 high ph , ammonia went back up to 4 and i have been doing 25% water change every other day and adding AMO LOCK and water conditioner everytime. Nitrate is at 0 and nitrite is at 0. Are those ceramic rings just taking along time for beneficial bacteria to grow or what going on with my tank ? All the fish seem to be acting fine as well. Also I noticed the water has been cloudy over the past few days and I learned that I need a UV sterilizer. Any thoughts on my issue ? thanks

It seems your numbers all over the place. Yes it takes time for bacteria to colonize. The cloudy water may have been a bacteria bloom. Get rid of any decaying plant matter. Also, are you vacuuming uneaten food and other waste/detritus? All these will increase the level of ammonia in your water. If your aquarium has cycled properly you should only be seeing nitrates. If your nitrates are zero then something is not right.

So is a bacteria bloom good ? The tank is at 8 weeks now. And no I have a gravel vacuum just haven't used it yet and I should. I took one plant out that was decaying but all the other ones seem to be doing fine and when adding AMMO LOCK it makes the ammonia non toxic right ? But it will still show up on the test. Also I will be getting a UV sterilizer soon to take care of the bacteria problem. Any other thoughts ? thanks again for your help

You don't need to test Low and High range PH. It can't be both. The high range PH test is only there incase your pH is off the charts in the low range.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Alright thank you! UPDATE: so today i bought a Green killing machine to take care of the bacteria bloom that is currently happening in my tank. Changed 25% of the water. Also I tested the ammonia twice and got .50 which is way better then 4.0 from the other day so what ever happened the ammonia dropped which is good. Also tested the nitrate and got 0. Did that Bacteria bloom help ? thanks again for help

Alright thank you! UPDATE: so today i bought a Green killing machine to take care of the bacteria bloom that is currently happening in my tank. Changed 25% of the water. Also I tested the ammonia twice and got .50 which is way better then 4.0 from the other day so what ever happened the ammonia dropped which is good. Also tested the nitrate and got 0. Did that Bacteria bloom help ? thanks again for help

I really can't say, because your numbers are everywhere. The bacteria bloom was not a bad thing and would have cleared up on its own. You should be seeing nitrates and nothing else if your tank is fully cycled, which is why this is confusing because you are seeing ammonia and no nitrates. At first glance, that means your tank is not cycled. How about nitrites? Are you seeing nitrites?

This is just my opinion and take it for what it's worth, but it seems like you are not allowing your tank to do its thing as it tries to reach equilibrium. All it should take is proper water changes to ensure the levels don't get toxic for the inhabitants. Don't know what else to tell you at the moment.

Nice, but I am near positive that those plants on the left are non aquatic. Did you happen to buy it in a small container labeled aquatic combo?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Yes they were, they had a jello like substance in the container with them. They were in the fish section of petsmart Are they not aquarium safe ? Should I through them out ? The other 2 I got from a more LEGIT pet store locally that I will from now on be getting plants or fish.

Well now I checked ammonia , nitrate and nitrite. Ammonia went back upto 4 :( , 0 nitrate and 0 nitrite. 2 weeks ago I had nitrate even though the ammonia was high. What i'm doing wrong ? I've been doing 25% water changes and adding water conditioner , ammo lock and stress zyme everytime. so 5 gallons every week. Is there a different method I can approach this ? EthanBeltramo thinks my plants to the left are non aquatic , if so could they be the contributing factor to my high ammonia levels ? The water has cleared up a little since adding that UV sterilizer. Thanks again for all your help

Back
Top Bottom