My 20G Planted Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

callisto9

Aquarium Advice FINatic
After a four gallon and a six.6 gallon, I finally decided it was time to upgrade. I moved a few things around and found a spot where I could have a bigger tank. We have a really small house and space is at a premium. We have two large birdcages in the livingroom and moving them was not an option. ;)

I finally settled on a 20G tank (instead of 26G) since it was easier to find a stand for it and it fits better in my bedroom. Filter is a Marineland Penguin 150. Lighting is LEDs.

marineland%252020G%2520tank.JPG

I have Carib Sea Eco Complete for the substrate. It will arrive Tuesday.

I have manzanita on the way from eBay.

manzanita%2520branch%2520093012.JPG

And I also ordered a few blue and pink ramshorns from eBay, too. :)

ramshorn%2520copy.jpg

Also have a magenta/purple mystery snail coming, too. OK, so it appears I like snails...

I can't wait to get started! I am thinking of doing a fish-in cycle, but the jury's still out on seeding from my previous 6.6 aquarium. I've had some guppies die in there, but of what, I don't know. The two remaining guppies and my mystery snail are doing well.

My plants will be getting moved over, too; anubias, java fern, amazon sword, marimo moss balls, water wisteria, anachris and hornwort.

I know I'll need to upgrade my lights from the LEDs that are on that hood, but I'm trying to figure out what I'll need to cover the tank with once new lighting is on (since it won't cover the entire top). Any suggestions are welcome. I do not want to dose ferts, but am open to root tabs. I've been doing fine without either in my 6.6 tank.

I've had some recommendations on fish and I'm interested in:

• galaxy rasbora
  • neon green, ruby, ember tetra
  • red cherry shrimp
  • pygmy cories
  • chili rasboras (need low pH) - this might be out for me.
  • celestial pearl danios
  • endler's livebearer (males only)

Any advice there would be appreciated, too.

Your tank doesn't need to be covered if you get a fixture that has legs and sits a few inches off your water. I love pink ramshorns!

Your tank doesn't need to be covered if you get a fixture that has legs and sits a few inches off your water. I love pink ramshorns!

What if a fish jumps out? Does that happen, ever?

I can't wait to get the rams. So excited. I don't think they develop their color until later, but with pink and blue in there, they will look neat. :) If they breed, I'll offer up some for sale/free.

I've just removed my Eco complete substrate after months use, it gets very silty and dirty looking very quickly - really disappointed in it.

I've never had an issue with fish jumping out and none of my tanks are covered. It can and does happen. Alot depends I think on the type of fish people keep. It's really a matter of choice.

Put me in line for pink ramshorns! (y)

I've had a Firemouth jump right out onto the carpet, got to excited at feeding time and a weather loach that used to be an escape artist in one of my old tanks which was uncovered - he is well covered now. Shrimps jump out of tanks regularly also.

I've just removed my Eco complete substrate after months use, it gets very silty and dirty looking very quickly - really disappointed in it.

I've really liked it. I've had it for about a month now with no problems. Water is always clear, even when I vac the substrate. Is yours combined with anything else?

I've never had an issue with fish jumping out and none of my tanks are covered. It can and does happen. Alot depends I think on the type of fish people keep. It's really a matter of choice.

Put me in line for pink ramshorns! (y)

You betcha. I really do hope to have some to share!

I've had a Firemouth jump right out onto the carpet, got to excited at feeding time and a weather loach that used to be an escape artist in one of my old tanks which was uncovered - he is well covered now. Shrimps jump out of tanks regularly also.

Good to know. I do plan on putting some sort of cover on top.

Why do you want different lighting?

I have LEDs in that hood and have heard they are not good for planted tanks.

Dwarf gouramis are prone to dwarf gourami disease. I'd go with the honey gourami (colisa chuna) or the thick lip gourami (colisa labiosa).

I've got Dwarfs & they do have some beautiful coloration but bettaowner is right. Everything l've read says that they are very susceptible to disease. But I'll just love mine til the end lol

Ah, so it's only the dwarf gouramis that are prone to that problem. If they have it, can they pass it on to others in the tank?

callisto9 said:
Ah, so it's only the dwarf gouramis that are prone to that problem. If they have it, can they pass it on to others in the tank?

Don't think so. Seems to be the genetics in the Dwarf Giuramis but only if they come from certain areas. But I'm still trying to find out more about it.

Dwarf Gourami Fact Sheet

I may be wrong! This article says they may be able to pass it to others.

Hmmm. Hard to know. I'll have to ask the guy at the LFS what he thinks. I mean, they're not all sick. I wonder how you know if they have the disease.

http://www.fishchannel.com/fish-health/disease-prevention/fish-viral-disease.aspx

Looks like it's contagious and considering it can take awhile to show up, quarantine could be... months? And even then, how would you know?

Back
Top Bottom