My 225g build!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PAwrangler08

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello all!! I Am very happy to announce that I am upgrading to a 225G tank!!!! I absolutely can't wait!!! So this will be my build page for it. As far as stocking, and set up, I have no clue what I'm doing yet haha. I'm open for ideas! I currently have a 120g with a semi agressive community. Everything from cats to barbs to cichlids to sharks.

I found the tank on Craigslist. $300 for tank, stand, lids, and a light which I think is an absolute steal! I go to pick it up Saturday. I'm pretty nervous about the move as I have to drive about an hour to bring it back and it'll be in the back of a pickup truck. There will be 4 of us moving it. I'm assuming it'll weigh about 400lbs. I have never had a tank this large before, nor have I moved one this large. So any suggestions or advice is greatly appreciated. I plan on putting a few old comforters down and strapping it down so it doesn't bounce or slide. As far as tank set up I am by no means in a rush. First thought was to put my stocking from my 120 into the 225 and make the 120 a SW since I just started cycling my 30G breeder for a SW FOWLR setup.

Thanks everyone!

Do a shelldweller tank, jk.
You should do a biotobe or a huge planted tank

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

If I do the 225g as a reef it'll take me some time to do that, I would slowly have to piece everything together.

Is there anything I should be looking at when I pick up the tank? It's used (obviously) and just want to make sure I'm not getting screwed. I know to obviously look for cracks and chips.

Leak test it. It's your only protection of a possible problem.

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!

To do that properly it should be filled up all the way, not? I feel like that's just going to take waaaaayyyy too much time and end up adding more weight to the tank. I know wen re calling for light snow Saturday afternoon and temps will be high 20's (Fahrenheit)

Good idea. I actually have a pump I could use to unload it. I would agree about the red flag. I'm still nervous since I asked for more pictures and she said she can't get to it easily since it's packed away in a garage next door at her parents house.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424321534.745852.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1424321566.257014.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It actually doesn't look too bad from the pics and may be in fair shape. If the wood looks good all around as with the seals, you may be okay. But nothing beats a leak test. Or a gut feeling. Kinda like answering your phone at work.

It actually doesn't look too bad from the pics and may be in fair shape. If the wood looks good all around as with the seals, you may be okay. But nothing beats a leak test. Or a gut feeling. Kinda like answering your phone at work.

Haha wellll being a 9-1-1 dispatcher, I HAVE to answer the phone or bad things happen. But I'll see what they say about doing a leak test for me. I'm just overly excited for this tank. Getting it is half the problem, choosing a place for it in the house is a completely different story lol.

That's what I meant about the gut feeling and answering the phone. Sometimes you just know when something's not right.

That's what I meant about the gut feeling and answering the phone. Sometimes you just know when something's not right.

Hmmm ok. Anything I should be looking at as far as the stand, again I've never had a tank this large and haven't had to totally worry about the weight of the tank and what it's doing to the stand and/or floor.

Sturdiness would be one thing right off the start. Does it look solid, feel solid ? Give a good shake !!! Look on the inside for how it's assembled. Screws, bolts, staples ? Broken or missing ? Is the wood swollen or warped ? Could indicate a leaky tank, but not necessarily that one. Any mold present ? That would be a definite no for me.

Sturdiness would be one thing right off the start. Does it look solid, feel solid ? Give a good shake !!! Look on the inside for how it's assembled. Screws, bolts, staples ? Broken or missing ? Is the wood swollen or warped ? Could indicate a leaky tank, but not necessarily that one. Any mold present ? That would be a definite no for me.

Very good ideas. I think with my excitement I would have probably over looked that. Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Jump up and sit on the stand, to test the cabinet for my 55 usgal tank me and two mates got on the cabinet and combined we weigh about 230kg so that seemed ok to me ?

Sent from my iPhone using my fat fingers covered in chocolate...

Jump up and sit on the stand, to test the cabinet for my 55 usgal tank me and two mates got on the cabinet and combined we weigh about 230kg so that seemed ok to me [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using my fat fingers covered in chocolate...

Haha that's one way of doing it!!!

Does anyone have any filtration ideas? Multiple canisters (I'm a fan of the sunsun's) or canister and fuge or just fuge?

Does anyone have any filtration ideas? Multiple canisters (I'm a fan of the sunsun's) or canister and fuge or just fuge?

Multiple canisters seem fine unless you go reef and want a big dump system.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Welllll I asked about doing a leak test and she said its way too much water to waste....so I guess I'll just go and see what it looks like

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom