My 29 gallon reef tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Glad I did not spend a lot on the power heads. Those things create so much flow my fish get thrown around and small waves spear at the water line. And that's with one running. Any suggestions on a nice calm flow power head something corals like.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Mushrooms are a good coral. They can reproduce quickly so you'll need to keep an eye on them to insure they don't crowd other corals

Here's a status update on my tank. I'm dealing with a little bubble algae break out, but it's getting better. My frogspawn maybe getting ready to split heads, and my acan is going through another unhappy phase but that may be just since I popped a cluster of bubble algae nearby on accident.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Ok it may not be the bible algae affecting the acan. I just finish squirting apostaia x on some apostaia on the rock ajecent to the acan. Would have added this to my previous post but it won't let me edit for some reason.

Bubble algae is most likely an indicator as to what is going on. Nitrates and phosphates in the water column.
When it comes to aiptasia-x, the answer is no. This stuff won't harm corals. I've even had my carpet anemone ingest a good amount of the stuff, keeping in mind it kills glass anemone, and the next day it was doing just fine and still is to this day.
With that said, my suggestion is to slow down. Have been answering lots of different questions and so forth over the last several weeks and it seems that more and more is being crammed into your tank. This is a young tank and it simply hasn't had any time to establish itself. As tanks mature they go through many different swings with parameters as both it and you learn what is going on.

I'll slow it down, I have not added anything into my tank in almost 4 months though. I'll also try to keep the page to pictures of my tank. I will also avoid questions unless it's life and death (of something in the tank). I hope my new set goals for this page will work.

You aren't picking up what I'm putting down. I'm simply stating that your tank is going through a process of maturing. Questions are great. It is just all too common that systems get set up and packed full and overwhelmed, which leads to crashes and frustrations.

Oh ok, what I thought you said first was I was asking to many questions and I was changing to much in my tank. I get what your saying now.

Ok so I'll worry about corals later. For now, power heads. I got 2 sunsun 101 power heads off amazon they look great but they created too strong of a flow.

Edit- after some digging I found out the pump I have is a koralia 425. I think I'll pick up another one of them.

New pump came in. It's a koralia 425. I have it running right now and it much better then the 2 pumps I bought a couple weeks ago. The frog spawn is a little un happy since it's not used to a flow from the right. Plan on waiting a month before getting corals.

Here's a status update on my tank. I'm dealing with a little bubble algae break out, but it's getting better. My frogspawn maybe getting ready to split heads, and my acan is going through another unhappy phase but that may be just since I popped a cluster of bubble algae nearby on accident.

Popping bubble algae will make it worse if your doing it in the tank. It will release spores into the water column and spread. Best bet is to turn water flow off and try to remove without popping. I am dealing with some in my tank now too

Yah I know about the spores of bubble algae I just got unlucky with that pull. Anyways the bubble algae break out is over.

Have any thoughts on your next coral?

I have a plan since the tank is now adjusting to the new pump. I'll get slow growers first and then some fast growers last as a filler. Besides that I'm still working on specifics. I may go out to the store this weekend or next weekend to pick something up though.

Going to get water today, also might be picking up a coral. My main supplier has some birds nest corals and zoas. His zoas are very dull so might not get them, but I may pick up one of the birds nest or other branching corals.

Edit- so I realized I have a lot of green corals what are your guys favorite corals that come in other colors besides green and is easy to care and get my hands on.

Going coral shopping at a store that actually varies a good variety of corals tomorrow.

I have been thinking of just keeping my tank clowns and coral is this fine or are there some fish I should add( I'm talking about once all the coral I want is in).

New corals are inImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1474737143.264737.jpg the one at the bottom is a blue Florida recordia, above that is a Duncan, and to the left of my acan is a bam bam zoa.

Moved things to where they should be, every thing is opening up now.

nothing better than watching a reef grow , I remember my first reef it was the best experience ever . my very first reef is also what gave me a win in TOTM , the only real way to see it grow is through the photos of progression I took daily pictures to compare that small amount of growth on a daily basis, it's almost invisible to the naked eye, very nice start your reward is just around the corner just have patients , (y)

Thanks now it is just the waiting game. The Florida recordia is smaller then I thought it was. May have to get more colors down the road. I'll share a photo of everything opened up when I get home.

Back
Top Bottom