My 29 gallon....what would you add/change?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

John2.0

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Here is my tank. It has been setup like this for about a year or more. I can't exactly remember now. LoL

img_2825461_0_7fa590afa6b2ab0ea6a3115ca82f850b.jpg

I know the sword in the left corner has some nutrient deficiencies. I had some issues going on that left me with little to no time to take care of this tank properly. Since then I have been back on my game with this tank and the sword is putting off new leaves that are healthy again. I do plan on trimming those off during my next water change.

I am thinking it might be a time for change in this tank. It is a low light planted tank with just two T8 bulbs that stay on for 8 hours a day. It gets Flourish Comprehensive 2x a week now like it did before. So if this was your tank what would you do(It has to stay low tech. Upgrading isnt an option for me right now.)?

I am also looking at getting some more fish for this tank. Right now it has 14 Boraras urophthalmoides. These lil guys are really hard to get a pic of but here is a pic I got once.

img_2825461_1_2bca6fc5cd7f71c1818ec732bd967471.jpg

I also have some Corydoras habrosus. I want to increase their numbers but my LFS doesn't have anymore right now.

img_2825461_2_0604fa96582d8dffea9344b82cb0edcf.jpg

I'd just drop a nice piece if dw in the middle and call it a day. Tank looks great! Love my habrosus..

Thanks! I do like it just think it needs something extra. It has a small piece in the middle that the Java fern is growing on. I was at the store yesterday thinking about adding a different piece.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

There is but ever time I have swords I end up having to dose liquid ferts as well with the root tabs or I get leaves like that. Right there are some Flourish root tabs in there.

Yes, it should be a given that water column ferts are used and root tabs are an addition. Make sure you are dose macro as well as micro ferts. Flourish alone is not a complete fert regime. OS.

Has always worked fine by itself for me but what do you suggest for macro ferts with it?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The plain flourish is strong on the traces but doesn't have much N, P, K & Mg. Seachem does make the flourish + but a lot of shops don't carry it except in the larger cities. I read about many peeps in here that use Flourish by itself then have trouble with all but low light plants. OS.

I have read the same about flourish not having much N, P, K, and Mg has never been that big of a problem for me as my tanks are low light and most of the plants are low light plants as well. I have in the past played around with the idea of getting dry ferts and doing pmdd instead of using flourish but never have. Anyone have any experience with this method of dosing?

Not sure I could get much more colors as I only have low light on this tank and don't dose any Co2 of any kind in there.

I as I have ready said Flourish has always worked for me but it is expensive in the long run. So was looking at different fertilizers. Something that I have looked at many times in the past. It seems that lots of ppl like the PPS-PRO package. How well do these work on low to medium lighting tanks? I don't necessarily need MgSO4 that's in that package as my GH runs around 7.
So would it be better/cheaper to order the EI dosing package/bottles and just mix it like pps-pro?

If you need I can send enough of the frets to make a 100 ml bottle this should last 20 or so days it would be sent via USPS lower 48 this would slow you to see if you like it . I like pps- pro more due to there not being a need to do massive water changes weekly I just do %25 weekly and 50 monthly and I get amazing results.

Back
Top Bottom