My 30gal attempt, opinions, advice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

elliott_001

Aquarium Advice Freak
Here is my tank. It's my first tank, when i started it i didn't really know what layout or theme i would go for, but have found myself wanting more and more plants, and a natural look.

Im would love to move onto the next level of planted aquariums, what i need is more light! I only have 1wpg at the moment, i also use DIY Co2.
I need to get some different plants in there, but most need more light.

But so far, what do you think? I have a bit of an algae problem at the moment, but i think it's coming along nicely so far....

Thanks,
David.

Attachments

• dsc08608_157.jpg
    dsc08608_157.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 52
Ya very nice.......very well scaped IMO.
You definately have a "natural" look there.

Thanks for the kind words everyone! I tend to be always thinking of moving things around! I think soon im going to do some re-arranging.
Is there anything i should be doing to reduce the algae growth? I have so many different types in there! lol.
Here is another couple of pics.. excuse the blurry fish! :)

Attachments

• dsc08629_714.jpg
    dsc08629_714.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 37
  • dsc08601_160.jpg
    dsc08601_160.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 37
Do you have any algae eating fish? Some otos or a BN pleco or two would help with the algae. Also, what are your nitrate and phosphate levels? At 1 wpg with CO2 things might be a little out of whack, but should be easy to fix.

Otherwise, great job! Tank looks nice, and great plant growth with only 1 wpg. Nice clear water, too.

Thanks mate, not sure on my levels at the moment, will get them soon though. My nitrates are normally high.
I have 3 oto's and a bulldog pleco, i think they keep the algae just under control! But i could do with reducing it a bit more.
Wouldn't adding more light to go with increased co2 reduce algae by utilizing plant growth, which will out compete the algae? Somthing im thinking of doing anyway (for plant growth, not algae!).

elliott_001 said:
Wouldn't adding more light to go with increased co2 reduce algae by utilizing plant growth, which will out compete the algae?

As long as you are keeping and eye your other Ferts and dosing as necessary at the same time. If you increase Light and CO2 without keeping the Ferts in line, they will just bottom out faster, stalling plant growth, and giving algae the green light to take over.

I think that is a fine goal to strive for. :)

Thanks for admiring it. Just do your test and dose as needed and it can be done. Good luck. I like your tank a lot.

I like your plants. The tank looks awesome.
What are those large plants on the left of the tank? They look incredible.

Great tank! Do you know if your current 30w are CF, T-8, T-12, etc?

Looks good!

Which types of algae are you battling? I've found for glass algae, nothing beats a good snail pack. I myself am still battling hair algae though.

Thanks everyone.
Im not sure what those plants on the left are, i think they are 'temple plant' - Hygrophila corymbosa. Its grows very quickly and can dominate the tank if not pruned (picture to prove it!)

I will do some test later and post the results. I would like to get some more light in there, then i can get some more interesting plants. I presume i will need to buy a new hood? My current hood is the standard hood that came with the tank Juwel rekord 120.
czcz - My current 30w is a T-8 - not quite sure what that means though? :)

Im battling green spot algae on the glass, hair algae, and a few minor ones that i dont know the names of! lol I thought about snails, but thought they might eat my plants too.

Attachments

• dsc07993_135.jpg
    dsc07993_135.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 29
As far as snails go, if the fish in one of your earlier pictures is a Botia striata, and you add some snails, you'll soon have a fat, happy loach and no snails....unless you get a really big snail!

Lol, i would opt for a large snail! Yes, they are botia striata, ive seen many a baby snail eaten by them! Still, might be an idea if it keeps my loaches happy lol!

My water parameters are:
NH3 - 0ppm
No2 - 0ppm
No3 - 10ppm
pH - 7.2
KH - 13dkh
GH - 17dh
Co2 - 24.607

I must admit, i havn't done many water test recently, everything has been running smoothly so i havn't bothered.

What would people recommend for my lighting upgrade? Whats a good wpg level to go for? 3? rich311k, how many wpg do you have in your tank?
TIA.
David.

I have 130 watts pc and 40 watts no over 36 gallons.

If I were you shoot for about 3.5 watts a gallon. Don't do what I do I am slightly off center. :)

rich311k said:
I have 130 watts pc and 40 watts no over 36 gallons.

If I were you shoot for about 3.5 watts a gallon. Don't do what I do I am slightly off center. :)

Would that be kind of like 520W CF over a 75G? hehe....

Would 3.5 wpg leave many plants that i cant grow? Are there many plants that require more than that?
pc fluorescents seem to be a popular choice.

With 3.5W/G, you can grow almost anything. There are a few plants that like higher light, but for the most part, with 3.5W/G, you have a huge selection of plants.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom