My 40 breeder reef tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am having an algae problem on my sand bed and the sandbed only. What type of algea is it and is there anything that will eat it like a shrimp, crab, etc.? It is brown and stringy and causes the sand to clump together. The algae is circled in black. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1426947774.208719.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1426947789.988302.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1426947805.615668.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1426947642.883747.jpg
    ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1426947642.883747.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 85
Is it slimy? Looks like it is the start of cyanobacteria. This is a sign of nutrients and low flow. Some increased or adjusted flow would help along with lowing your nitrates.

From what it looks like it's cyano. Caused by low flow and nutrient issues. Some people say that turbo snails eat it but it comes down to fixing the flow issue/nutrient problem and if the tank is newer they will sometimes have a cyano outbreak

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

The tank was started in November so it is new. What would u consider a high number for nitrates? They are around 7 now.

7 is by far high. It is at least showing you a low flow spot. I'd still keep an eye on the nitrate levels, especially with what looks to be a crushed coral substrate. This stuff can catch uneaten food and poop where it will decay.

I am going to do a water change soon, and it is just a coarse sand the looks like crushed coral because the pictures are up very close. It is caribsea sand I forget what the name is but it is what the LFS recommends and uses in there tanks.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1426983378.599493.jpg

Thank you I got him last Friday and am loving his character. He is already sifting sand when he is only about 2 inches long which I find funny because he can only fit a few grains of sand in his mouth. Once he gets bigger I will get him a shrimp.

I was wondering if it would be ok to add more dry rock to my tank in small amounts every week or so till I have the amount I want. I would do it after a water change and use the water I take out of the tank to rinse it. Would this be okay?

I want to build up the back middle to make a cove look and make more caves for my fish. And to create more space for corals down the line.

I was wondering if it would be ok to add more dry rock to my tank in small amounts every week or so till I have the amount I want. I would do it after a water change and use the water I take out of the tank to rinse it. Would this be okay?

I want to build up the back middle to make a cove look and make more caves for my fish. And to create more space for corals down the line.

Yes

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

New stuff

34.99 for a large plate coral (I think this is a pretty good deal)
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1427488483.563952.jpg
Tiger sand conch
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1427488515.990669.jpg

Did a waterchange and got a conch and they seemed to clean that algae right up.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1427636240.652400.jpg

Thanks!

New aquascape as of 10 min ago.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1428096461.633225.jpg
Acclimating Duncan's right now, post pics later.

Good choice. Duncans are one of my favorite corals. So easy to care for and look amazing. I have an all green one and a purple/green in my reef right now.

wow those rocks are huge , try to get some smaller rock around 4/6 inches when you get more rock , the smaller pieces will help you add structure and give you different options to add coral ,

Back
Top Bottom