my 40 gallon breeder questions.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
two things, well 3

1) i added a timer to my lights, now on an 8 hour light cycle still trying to over come this nuisance algae.
2) bulk reef supply group by started today and most everything i was looking at to buy is sold out. just thought that was amusing. i guess we all wanted the same things.

3) added a filter sock to my sump, i currently have one 200 micron filter sock and one 150 micron mesh filter sock.

any recommendations on filter socks?

I get them from BRS for like $5 a piece. I prefer the felt socks, they catch the most stuff but get dirty quick. But since they are only a few bucks i have about 12 of them now so rotating every other day or so works for me. :)

thanks carey. and do you just rinse in a sink to clean them? thats what i did with the felt one. the mesh is in use now.

After about a week or two I just toss the socks on the washer with no detergent or anything and use my steam clean cycle. It's a front loader so I'm not getting them as clean as i could by hand....but who wants to do that all afternnon. LOL

I can't imagine what my water would look like if I didn't use filter socks. lol There is so much gunk in there its unbelievable. I only change mine out 2 or maybe 3 times in a week, only takes about 3 minutes and I'm pretty slow. ;-)

Changing them out 3 times a week means you have to be there, otherwise they clog up and overflow. Then there's washing them, and don't forget picking out all the pods before you do.

I've been trying the mesh filter socks too. They only need to be changed like maybe once a week or even 2 weeks. I haven't seen any real difference between them other than the clog rate.

its been a while since i last updated,

i took out the filter sock. biopellets have been running for just over the 8 week mark brs suggests to leave it alone. that problem algae is creeping back into my tank. so instead of getting some upgrades for my brs ro/di from the group buy carey has been fantastic about coordinating, im going to get a gfo reactor and media for it. ill run both the pellets and the gfo.

im saving up for a vertex in-100 skimmer

my tank as it sits now
4 bulb t5 ho running ati 2 aquablue specials and 2 blue plus bulbs
sump is set up like this
2 koralia 750gph powerheads
skimmer-> quietone 2200 return <- refugium (home depot clip light with a ge 6500k compact)floressant)

by the way, my bta is doing very well under the lights.

img_1960263_0_ed82afe53a0aaa19199bdebe2d8959dc.jpg

i dont like how it transitions from the bubble chamber to the collection cup neck. the cone is nice, but the cup once in place creates a "step" before it can bubble up.

its become finicky with how it skims. i do periodically disassemble the pump to clean it, and still sometimes its wet, some times its dry, in terms of skimmate. ive looked at my skimmer before ive left the house to look around the lfs noting that my cup is half full only to come back an hour later and its overflowing, spilling back into the sump.

this was an ebay special and im hoping that a quality skimmer with a positive reputation will be better than what i have.

Back
Top Bottom