My 55 gallon reef build.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wow I checked the link and if you were to buy something like that from another website I'm sure it would be around 800-1000$

Absolutely DO NOT buy the Odyssea MH fixtures, no way. Their products are not UL listed, and not quality. I would be a little more lineant on their T5's, but absolutely not their MH

Look up a T5HO system, 2 36" fixtures will be better than 1 72" fixture for you, but that means you'll have to hang them. Look into getting 4-6 bulb T5HO system, much cheaper, energy efficient, run cooler, and can put out the same or better PAR than MHs. Try fishneedit.com, or a Nova Extreme Pro. If you are willing to spend a bit extra for a great fixture look into Sunlight Supply Tek lights. They don't come with bulbs and you'll want ATI or Giessman bulbs so factor that into you're cost with that fixture as well

Probably because you put 150w halides in the 250w fixture, which you shouldn't have to be doing. Now that I think about it 250w going into a 150w bulb doesn't sound very smart, but regardless Odyssea fixtures have a tendency to not be very good, and there are stories of their MH fixtures catching fire

Where did you hear/why did you put the 150w bulbs in anyway?

It was originally 2 250w but they were a little to much for a 55 gallon so I switched it with a less powerful 150 bulb 5 months ago. No it barely heats up.

His tank also looks overstocked IMO, 6 tangs in a 220G with multiple other large fish and small schools of fish?

The fixture also seems to look like it has no fans, which IMO is not good. For a pendant it's fine but for a fixture with T5s as well? Definitely needs some fan.

I'm not gonna try to argue with you on this. I'm just giving my honest opinion and reasons why I think that way. You can do however you please. This thread has gotten way off topic anyway, and I apologize to JABS for that

I'm unsubbing this thread now which saddens me because JABS' tank is amazing and I want to see it progress

I am probably the only person on this forum who actually recommends odyssea, but only their T5 units. i have two and love them but even i wouldn't get the MH unless theres some major changes made to them. They are cheaply made which is fine for a 4 bulb system but when you gt to the heat of a MH? Nope, not a chance.

LOL

An ro/di unit is vital for sw. I just picked one up on ebay for $59 and its a 100gpd unit. Theres a thread under equipment you can look at, has all the details.

Need to hit ebay ;-)

lol

Cheapest one they have and it works grear. I just used it again yesterday to make 20 gallons in like 4 hours

Back
Top Bottom