My 55 planted build!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
View attachment 193474

View attachment 193475

any better? is middle to bunched together?

Yes it is much better IMO. The reason you think the middle looks so bunched together is because the Vals are very thin right now and will look more balanced as they fill out with runners. Which btw you want to cut and replant runners when they are big enough close together so your groups fills in thick. Something else to watch is on the left side of the tank you have all similar vertical growing leaf plants. You need to try to mix vertical growth leaf plants like Vals, certain bulb plants, swords, and crypts with plants that have leaves and a more bushy appearance. Hope that makes sense!

Don't worry, almost all of us started out the exact same way :) Except for rivercats, all of her tanks were pieces of art as soon as water went in them :D

Hey guys and gals remember I was watching my father doing this in the 50's-60's and I was seriously into planted tanks and scaping by 1980. I've had many years to hone my skills.

Hey guys and gals remember I was watching my father doing this in the 50's-60's and I was seriously into planted tanks and scaping by 1980. I've had many years to hone my skills.

Hah man no wonder! Those tanks look like a pro aquascaping! Hope mine look that good someday!

we are soo thankful that you share your knowledge!!

Yes it is much better IMO. The reason you think the middle looks so bunched together is because the Vals are very thin right now and will look more balanced as they fill out with runners. Which btw you want to cut and replant runners when they are big enough close together so your groups fills in thick. Something else to watch is on the left side of the tank you have all similar vertical growing leaf plants. You need to try to mix vertical growth leaf plants like Vals, certain bulb plants, swords, and crypts with plants that have leaves and a more bushy appearance. Hope that makes sense!
Yes thanks so much! I haven't seen any runners off them or dwarf sag :-( guess I'll be patient

also I spot treated my dwarf sag with peroxide on Sunday. I see no difference should I do again or wait to see if it changes color

If you spot treated for BBA then if you don't see any color changes yet you need to redoes. Did you use liquid carbon or H2O2? If you treated for hair algae it kind of just melts away so again you would want to retreat. Then if you use the same product 2 times and get no results you need to switch to the other. Also remember to turn your filters off for 20 minutes.

If you spot treated for BBA then if you don't see any color changes yet you need to redoes. Did you use liquid carbon or H2O2? If you treated for hair algae it kind of just melts away so again you would want to retreat. Then if you use the same product 2 times and get no results you need to switch to the other. Also remember to turn your filters off for 20 minutes.

Yes i used H2O2..ill try glut next... do I turn filter& lights off for glut or just H2O2?

You can often get better results turning the filter off with using Glut same as with the H2O2.

Hello! my water wisteria is growing great!!! i am getting alot of stems coming off them! I have read to trim top and replant, but i also read that leaving the bottom cut off isn't good. One post said to throw away the bottom part! Should I do this?
Also my ludwigia broad leaf has lost all leaves on bottom. Could this be part of transition from buying it or could it be too close to wisteria? (not getting enough light)

I also want to purchase Rotala mini butterfly! do you think it will do well in my tank? I love the red!
or barclaya longifolia?

Hello! my water wisteria is growing great!!! i am getting alot of stems coming off them! I have read to trim top and replant, but i also read that leaving the bottom cut off isn't good. One post said to throw away the bottom part! Should I do this?
Also my ludwigia broad leaf has lost all leaves on bottom. Could this be part of transition from buying it or could it be too close to wisteria? (not getting enough light)

I would only throw the bottom off if it gets bare. In that case remove the bottoms and replant the top growth.

The L. Broadleaf could be both not enough light and acclimation.

Rotala Mini Butterfly does best in high light. If there isn't enough light then you get green leaves.

I was about a week away from tossing out my broad leaf ludwigia but then all of a sudden it started growing like crazy. It took about a month in my tank before it decided that it was happy

I was about a week away from tossing out my broad leaf ludwigia but then all of a sudden it started growing like crazy. It took about a month in my tank before it decided that it was happy

ok that's good! it's only been alil over a week!

in an attempt for more lighting, I went to Lowe's and bought 2 work lights with cfls.. i can't remember the bulbs I bought but they didn't have 6500k. I'm already noticing a HUGE difference! it's been 3 or 4 days and alot of new growth... is it sleek and attractive no, but this stay at home mama of a 3 & 4yr old, needed a quick fix!! No algae either with the new lights! I am going to use these until I can decide my next move..
how does most people set up tank with multiple lights?
my current dosing is 10ml of glut, 5ml of PPS-Pro and so far so good... i tried added more PPS-Pro for the algae and did better when I went back to 5ml for each

I found 6700K lights at lowes. I went for the T-8 natural sunlight spectrum. I see a big difference in the depth of light, and have had no problems with algae.
D

still can't find 6500k.. but i'm not giving up!!
need some encouragement with my plants!!! tips are starting to brown.. its the start of BBA right? why? I currenty dose 10ml glut, 5ml each of pps-pro...(i was dosing higher ml of pps-pro but it seems to make it worse)
I just added a ton of plants from a Peabody's Paradise special.. i hope they do well
i have 2 cfl lights(4 hrs) and finnex fugeray(4.5 hrs)
my hubby laughs bc i am so focused on my plants right now and only have 11 fish in there :)

Back
Top Bottom