My 55g pics... questions.... and how often water changes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hooperman42

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello, some may recall that I recently moved from a 20L to a 55G tank. It is running perfect so far so good for about two weeks. Thanks I believe to all the bio matter that was moved over including, filter, fluval marshmallows, bio wheel, gravel and other internal items plus a 75 gallon hit of Tetra Safe Start (or Start up whatever it is called).

All levels still in check and fish are having a blast. I am running a TWO Marineland Bio wheel 360's. The would be four total outputs. Each 360 claims to do 350 gph. On one I have two bio wheels of course (the larger ones) with two filters and fluval marshmallow material infront of the filters - water still pours like a faucet.

The second 360 I simply have the two bio wheels and two cartridges on each side. So this gives me a total of four bio wheels, 6 cartridges and the fluval material. I may end up just chucking the fluval stuff and going with 6 filters and let the wheels handle it after it is up and proven itself to have good bacteria. All levels are fine. I am not new to tanks just one this large.

I use Marineland White and blue LED's. I am really hoping the plants do well as I have many. We will see. It does get some sunlight but thats through a window of course so not sure there is a benefit to that. But hey we live in FL and its sunny everyday in case it does.

I keep the tank at 80 and use fluval brand black sponges as baffles to keep the water still for my betta and I do have an airstone in one corner that is putting our plenty of oxygen as do the filters but he is still happy with the low current.

So with that, how often should I do partials? I did one today - just about 20% or so. The residents are the happy betta, 4 cory cats, two yoyo loaches, one zebra loach and two little clown loaches and yes I know how big they get :facepalm: and will one day no doubt need to find a new home. But for now everything is small. The largest fish are the betta and two of the cats.

Any suggestions, thoughts, ideas etc? :confused:

I still use my 20L for my son's mystery snails and it has some neons, cardinal tetras and a few cherry barbs. I just cant get those darn fish to come to the top to eat! So I end up letting the food fall for them and I am sure Ill need to vacuum the mess soon. It uses twin 30 inch T-5 HO bulbs with a glass top (ACI bulbs in white and blue). This one really shines! Wish I could afford the same top and lights for the big tank. Again thanks for all your input and hope to hear from some of you.

Oh ya, in the 55G the Betta gets his two pellets a day and the others get algae wafers (maybe 1/2 to 1 or 1 and a half a day depending on how much they had the day before). Plus a few smaller sinking wafers.

Thanks. Sorry for typos. :fish1:now the pics... of both:
https://picasaweb.google.com/103134...nkSetUps55And20?authkey=Gv1sRgCIOU6d-w5cSPlQE#

Attachments

• IMG_3344.jpg
    IMG_3344.jpg
    249.5 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_3289.jpg
    IMG_3289.jpg
    236.3 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_3345.jpg
    IMG_3345.jpg
    251 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_3341.jpg
    IMG_3341.jpg
    252.1 KB · Views: 64
I would go with a 40%-50% bi weekly to make it less work for now. All the fish are small and you are understocked so you will be fine. Then when they get a little bigger 30% weekly, then when they get full grown 50% weekly. I know its not in your post but you could do alot more plants, like double, if thats the look you are going for. It looks great though. Lost of room for the bottom dwellers.

just added more plants today! Just four more. Trying to stay with moderate or low light ones. But I have some in there for bright light and hope they stay ok. The T5 tank was brighter by far of course. as you can see in the pics. Can you suggest a few other fish for now. I really just want bottom fish as I dont want to get into flakes with the betta. was thining of a few upside down cats just cuz they are hilarious to look at or a few more colorful bottom dwellers. I know the loaches I have do better with other of the same kind... poor little zebra. He is getting bigger but I guess will max at 4 inches at most. expensive little dude. Any thoughts on others than would be a nice little bottom school?

You might be able to get a ram, they can be tough sometimes but they do stay at the bottom for the most part. Or another school of a different kind of Cory. Also any docile "shark".

Back
Top Bottom