My 75 gallon African tank. Water issue?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Malawi Freak said:
Sounds like you could possibly have a small, extremely tiny pinhole leak in one of the lines.

I had the same problem and discovered -after much frustration- that I hadn't screwed the cap of my Rena's intake tube on tightly enough.

I always have stuff floating around my tank too. Gross. I think maybe it comes from having a ton of messy fish...I have 2 awesome filters (a Rena and a Fluval 405) on my 100 gallon and still have floaters even right after i clean it. I'm glad to hear the 110 worked well!

Last edited:
Convict2161 said:
Well... Here it is. Pictures tell the truth. I ended up unplugging both Rena 300 air pumps. I also added the AC 110 with sponge and filter floss. And here ya have it!!!

I'm very pleased!!! I'm in love again!!

Crystal clear! Could it have been the air pumps or the stones? I mean a HUGE difference when the pumps are off.

**** that's nice! Good job

Sometimes when the Air gets sucked in the filter system...even a little it can cause micro bubbles....which might carry debris from your Filter albeit trace amounts.

I use Purgen and Matrix behind my Filters (I have a Emp 400 and Penguin 350) in my 60 gallon and it cleared the water and I was Able to keep the Micro bubbles with my fish love....They freak when the pumps are off...I am going to add a canister soon...

Convict too bad about Jacobs eh? He was kind of a loudmouth but I like him and was a True Giant.

Pton46 said:
Sometimes when the Air gets sucked in the filter system...even a little it can cause micro bubbles....which might carry debris from your Filter albeit trace amounts.

I use Purgen and Matrix behind my Filters (I have a Emp 400 and Penguin 350) in my 60 gallon and it cleared the water and I was Able to keep the Micro bubbles with my fish love....They freak when the pumps are off...I am going to add a canister soon...

Convict too bad about Jacobs eh? He was kind of a loudmouth but I like him and was a True Giant.

Yea he was. A shame. Over paid for sure but I liked him too. Greed got to him.

Anyway. I would have never thought the air pumps/stones would have caused all that. Just look at it now!!! I'm like shocked!!! It looks awesome now!! Makes me proud again after everything I've been through with the tank and all it makes me happy to see water that looks like glass!!

boadams87 said:
**** that's nice! Good job

I agree! Haha man i thought i was gunna see my reflection in those pics, so clear! What do you dose to get rid of hair algea?

Nu-Nu the eel said:
I agree! Haha man i thought i was gunna see my reflection in those pics, so clear! What do you dose to get rid of hair algea?

Thanks bro!!! It makes it all worth it when I get comments like this! You KNOW how I am and since I consider it a "show" tank I have to keep it pristine! Now I can relax...

Hair algae? lol I'm not following. Do I have it? :(

Convict2161 said:
Thanks bro!!! It makes it all worth it when I get comments like this! You KNOW how I am and since I consider it a "show" tank I have to keep it pristine! Now I can relax...

Hair algae? lol I'm not following. Do I have it? :(

Haha ya that tank is lookin great! I wish mine looked like that right now... I got hair algea everywhere!

And its just gross black algea that grows EVERYWHERE!!! I hate it. You have NONE, thats why i want to know your secret! Haha i think its because my water is really hard in CA

Nu-Nu the eel said:
Haha ya that tank is lookin great! I wish mine looked like that right now... I got hair algea everywhere!

And its just gross black algea that grows EVERYWHERE!!! I hate it. You have NONE, thats why i want to know your secret! Haha i think its because my water is really hard in CA

Thanks again bro!! I work hard at it. Water changes 50% every Saturday. Just use Prime and flourish excel 2x' week. pH is 8.2 and everything is 0 except nitrates. Which is like 0.5. Other then that I just have my daylights on from
4pm-9pm. Blues kick on at 2pm and go off at 11pm then moonlights. No secret lol.

I just wish I ha an answer for why the air pumps/ stones were making such a mess. But I'm glad it's all figured out now.

Haha ya we do waterchanges and all that
Good stuff as well! I think our lights are on too long and our tank is kinda near a window... Too much sunlight :( anyways, looks great, keep it up man!

Nu-Nu the eel said:
Haha ya we do waterchanges and all that
Good stuff as well! I think our lights are on too long and our tank is kinda near a window... Too much sunlight :( anyways, looks great, keep it up man!

Thanks bud!! Yeah the window will add to the cause of your algae problem and your talking about your freshwater tank right?

If its freshwater and no plants that really need a lot of light you can back. My lights are times to go on when I walk through the door! I have loads of Anubias but they don't require much. My saltwater tank is near a window but I put limo tint on the window closest to the tank and I bought those heavy curtains to keep the light out.

Convict2161 said:
Thanks again bro!! I work hard at it. Water changes 50% every Saturday. Just use Prime and flourish excel 2x' week. pH is 8.2 and everything is 0 except nitrates. Which is like 0.5. Other then that I just have my daylights on from
4pm-9pm. Blues kick on at 2pm and go off at 11pm then moonlights. No secret lol.

I read something interesting last night. If you perform over 40% of a water change you are supposed to dose flourish at 1 capful per 10 gallons not the 50. And that's straight from seachem.

Malawi Freak said:
I read something interesting last night. If you perform over 40% of a water change you are supposed to dose flourish at 1 capful per 10 gallons not the 50. And that's straight from seachem.

That is interesting...

One of the reasons Dino has no algae is because of his lights. He has them correctly timed. Also flourish excel has algacide properties. Im sure that helps keep it in check. Make sure you dont overfeed also. Flourish is not advertised as an algacide however it is one of the most popular treatments of black beard algae (which I now have)

tank looks great, im glad you didnt give up on fish keeping when your fish got sick :)

Back
Top Bottom