My 75G - Freshwater!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mike is correct. Low light is 1-2 watts per gallon. I am using 260 watts on my 60. And adding too much CO2 is not necessary for low light slow growing plants. If your plants are doing fine with the light you have, then I always say "If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Tank looks fantastic!! The crushed coral will cause hard alkaline water which most plants will do FAIR in those conditions based on my experience with African setups. The only issue I can see is brown algae thrives in hard water. You SA Cichlids prefer soft acidic water and the Africans like hard alkaline water, but they will adapt if the parameters are not too extreme. Is there a reason you are using crushed coral? Plants will fair a lot better in an iron rich substrate and it will not affect PH or hardness. But if crushed coral is what you like and its working, then so be it. I know I am contridicting myself a little, but the joys of aquariums is customizing it to what interests of the person/people that enjoy looking at it everyday. You asked
For suggestions? If it were me and your budget allows, I would replace the coral with a nutrient rich gravel or sand. I prefer Flourite. And I would add more lighting in the 6700K range. I got my 260W LUNAR PC from Fosters and Smith for $272.00 shipped to my door. It works flawlessly and runs cool. Just replace the actinics with 6700K bulbs and your ready to grow. Hope this helps.

Sam

you are way under powered on the lights. I am running 150 right now tell my new ballast comes in. Then I will be running 240. For nice plant growth you need to be in the 2-3 watts per gallon the more the better. I dont think I would putting in co2 in the tank tell you up the lighting a good bit. are you tracking your ph?
very nice looking tank by the way. I wish I could find a piece of drift wood like you have on the right.

Mike

Yeah, I thought so. Not sure what to do now. Not sure if this ballast can handle a higher rated bulb.
Going to check my ph right now.

Thanks guys for the feedback and compliments, much appreciated.

SD,
Not sure why I went with the coral, someone at work suggested it because they used it and loved it. I like it a lot. Have I thought about changing it? Yes. For me right now it's about the fish and their health. They all seem to be adapting really well, and for me that is the ultimate. As far as lighting. All but 1 of the 6 different types of plants I currently have, are slow growing. That single plant is growing like wildfire, I just love the way it looks. If it ain't broke, don't fix it? Love that term.
You're not contradicting yourself. I am!!! It's an odd mish mash of a setup, you gotta admit, but yeah, right now it works for me.
Not sure what to do about the lighting. The budget allows, this thing is only 54w. This is what is on the box.

GLO
54W
Life-Glo
T5 HO
High Output

W.....W...W.. WOW!!!

That look AMAZING!!!!

Thank you, I appreciate that. If time allows, I will upload some more pics, have some re-arranging to do this weekend. I added more coral, and I wanted to set up the plants a little better. 2nd c02 bottle will be added at some point as well this weekend.

Also setting up a 2 gallon nano salt, my first attempt at salt.
Hopefully I will not need that much luck!

Back
Top Bottom