My angelfish passed away.. :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kishore

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have had 4 angel fish since I bought the tank. Luckily, 2 of them were males and 2 were females. That was last July. It has been six months and they have grown a lot. The unfortunate fish was however a little 'stunted' in its growth and I had always assumed that it might be its nature.

About 2-3 days ago, I noticed that one of my angels hasn't been eating regularly. I feed my fish twice a day, once in the morning before I leave for school and once in the night before I go to bed. I have been observing it since then. I thought maybe it ate the sunken flakes. Today morning, I had decided to wait until the end of the day and if its eating had not improved, I can maybe put it separately in a bucket. But when I came home, my mom said that it died. She wasn't sick or anything. She wouldn't just eat. A few hours before dying, my mom had moved it into a bucket and tried to feed her with a few flakes. It was of no use.

The poor fish::sad:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nYYlCx8eELUaJmCjp_z_ap5OuMdRqfuj/view

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1PaFcVonUHOt7AZ1rf3xxgOQVCJGpV-1t/view

Previously, the tank had two angel pairs. Now there is only one and there is a male without a pair. But the male in a pair right now is the dominant fish of the tank and is aggressive. It constantly taunts the other male. I don't know what to do. Should I buy another female angelfish or should I give up the male(I am trying to avoid this. I like him so much)?

The aggressive male
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1PpxjCBHtFU6xdrx3unWSNeDDYC8Kptpo

The other male is pictured below. As you can see from the fins in the pic, he has already taken some hits.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1I4qbMi1Y8YFNX_6EyvgztNQwKcmP3k-r

Other than his fins, he still seems to be normal. He fights back and eats properly.
I would love to have some advice on this.

Tank size matters here.
If the tank is not large I would rehome one of the males..
They do not bond forever like other fish so you can rehome the aggressive male and still very possibly have a breeding pair.. You know you will have a pair at least?

My tank is about 200 litres. I also have no way to 'rehome' them. I simply would have to give them up to the LFS. Maybe tall plants will help provide cover?! I was already planning to add some plastic plants to the tank.

K
Regarding the dead Angel, you noted that it was somewhat stunted, indicating that it was a weaker specimen. It seems that Mother Nature just took care of business, weeding out the weak, opening up the opportunity for you to replace with a stronger, better Angel.
You didn't note your tank size, but if it's a fairly large tank, instead of replacing one Angel, might be better to add two or three new ones. One weapon against cichlid aggression is to slightly overstock. That often times dilutes aggression. I wouldn't get rid of your favorite male Angel. A big part of the hobby is "adjusting" and learning, as to being able to deal with problems which always occur. Good luck.

K
Regarding the dead Angel, you noted that it was somewhat stunted, indicating that it was a weaker specimen. It seems that Mother Nature just took care of business, weeding out the weak, opening up the opportunity for you to replace with a stronger, better Angel.
You didn't note your tank size, but if it's a fairly large tank, instead of replacing one Angel, might be better to add two or three new ones. One weapon against cichlid aggression is to slightly overstock. That often times dilutes aggression. I wouldn't get rid of your favorite male Angel. A big part of the hobby is "adjusting" and learning, as to being able to deal with problems which always occur. Good luck.

V227, see my last post. The tank has a volume of 200 litres. That's about 50 US gallons. How many more female angels do you suggest to be added? Before that, note that the tank is also a home to 4 pearl gourami, 8 red eye tetras, 2 neons , 4 corys and 2 snails.

50 gal. Is a good sized tank, but not large. If you are a big fan of Angels, then it might be a good idea to return the Gouramis to the fish store and replace with a couple of Angels. That leaves you with five. Odd number groupings of five or more cichlids have worked for me. If that alternative is not to your liking, then try to replace with another female, not an easy task to I'D gender, or follow CB' s advice, get rid of one of the male Angels, which would leave a single pair. You appear to have a good working knowledge about fish keeping. I'm sure you will make the correct decision.

So sorry to hear about your angel. Imo, I'd try adding more cover and move things around, see what happens then decide. It's gonna be up to you. But, Imo, if the bigger one is nipping more then just the other male, I'd take the bigger bully one to the store and trade him in for a couple different ones. Get 2 that are the same size or alittle smaller. Looks like the bigger male is doing alot of damage. The stress builds up after time and creates sick fish, cause they are too stressed out and weak to heal when being constantly picked on. But if you want to breed I'd take the other male out and just stick with the pair and wait for baby's and keep 1 or 2 of them. It's up to you. But I got rid of my bully. I had a male nipping at everything in my 75g and only had 4angels, pleco, and 2 Otto's cats at the time. Now have 3 angels and other fish and my tank is much more relaxed. No nipping.

Okay, I've planned to get rid of the bully. Talked to the LFS today and they told that they won't have more blue zebra angels in stock for about a month. Gonna have to wait until that. I prefer to replace the bully with a couple of female angels. But sexing angels when they are young is difficult??

I have a small thing to worry about now. My other male is often at a 'tilted' pose. Link to some pictures,

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1y6uV-u-HA-erxjS_HXIcF2Dw2KhPYUuU
https://drive.google.com/open?id=12kv3ts_5683lAntyR5Aju9_9jLymc5MT

He doesn't ALWAYS stay like that. But I don't like this. The bully is confined to a bucket now and will be there for a couple of days. He has a sponge filter running. That filter is from the established tank and I guess I won't have any problems. I hope he'll change after this "punishment".

Meanwhile, I got myself a pair of these.:dance:

Attachments

• IMG_2273.jpg
    IMG_2273.jpg
    222.8 KB · Views: 47
You got new fish in the tank and the other male angel is out. As he tilts and swims sideways he's showing he's the big guy of the tank now. Male angels are usually jerks of the tank when wanting space from others. Most the time it's when there's a female in the tank and wanting to breed.

Sent from my HTCD100LVWPP using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Put the Bully back in the tank. It seems that the other male has recovered and as you said was thinking that he's the big guy now. When I put the Bully back, the other male angel doesn't give up. They are fighting like crazy. Both are taunting each other. Do you think I should may be allow them to continue to fight so that if an order is established, they both will calm down?!

K
Every species of cichlid ive kept, New World or Old, in which I had a grouping, there has always been "Head Knocking" between the #1 and the #2 fish. That includes mellow delicate fish like Discus or big aggressive fish like the Festae - Red Terrors.
Some species of cichlids can literally rip the mouth off their rival during a fight but most species of cichlids have non-injurious skirmishes. IMO the later applies to Angels. There are no set rules on how to handle your angels head knocking, because every fish is different.
The time tested method on handling most aquarium aggression issues is dilution; adding additional fish to the original grouping. Another way is "aquarium dividers", but that is usually reserved for The hobby's monsters such as the Midas or the big CA Hybrids. It would look pretty silly to divide your tank for those fierce Angels. Lol.
I've kept Angels on and off over the years and never lost one due to species specific aggression.
As I sit here typing this novel length post, I'm watching the schools of Tetras, and groupings of cichlids swimming in my display tank. I'm witnessing the typical fast and furious, early morning head knocking and high speed chases that are routine. At first glance, it's aggression chaos. 99% of the time no injuries. My advice is to relax a bit, make your own decisions, then advise AA what you have learned. I am certain you will be successful. (y)

K
Every species of cichlid ive kept, New World or Old, in which I had a grouping, there has always been "Head Knocking" between the #1 and the #2 fish. That includes mellow delicate fish like Discus or big aggressive fish like the Festae - Red Terrors.
Some species of cichlids can literally rip the mouth off their rival during a fight but most species of cichlids have non-injurious skirmishes. IMO the later applies to Angels. There are no set rules on how to handle your angels head knocking, because every fish is different.
The time tested method on handling most aquarium aggression issues is dilution; adding additional fish to the original grouping. Another way is "aquarium dividers", but that is usually reserved for The hobby's monsters such as the Midas or the big CA Hybrids. It would look pretty silly to divide your tank for those fierce Angels. Lol.
I've kept Angels on and off over the years and never lost one due to species specific aggression.
As I sit here typing this novel length post, I'm watching the schools of Tetras, and groupings of cichlids swimming in my display tank. I'm witnessing the typical fast and furious, early morning head knocking and high speed chases that are routine. At first glance, it's aggression chaos. 99% of the time no injuries. My advice is to relax a bit, make your own decisions, then advise AA what you have learned. I am certain you will be successful. (y)
I agree... And to add to this, just know there is a big difference between a bully fish and a territorial fish. A bully is nonstop hurting all fish everywhere in the tank, and will cause stress and lower the immune system which will lead to sicknesses. Territorial is one that just let's others know there's a area that is off limits and won't do as much damage.

A bully is nonstop hurting all fish everywhere in the tank, and will cause stress and lower the immune system which will lead to sicknesses. Territorial is one that just let's others know there's a area that is off limits and won't do as much damage.

Then my angel is not a Bully but a territorial fish. But that name helps me distinguish him while referring to the angels. So it stuck on.

I've been trying some methods to make them get along. I'll post my results here later.

Then my angel is not a Bully but a territorial fish. But that name helps me distinguish him while referring to the angels. So it stuck on.

I've been trying some methods to make them get along. I'll post my results here later.
Territorial is easier to deal with. If you add more cover top to bottom and maybe move things around you will probably have good results.

I guess the solution is to isolate the aggressive male for sometime. Then put it in the tank back and watch carefully. They fight for sometime and eventually a new pecking order is established. Then they may/may not go together peacefully, which they did in my case. This method has worked out for me so far. As in the pic, they have been moving together in the tank, without any issues the whole day.

I guess the solution is to isolate the aggressive male for sometime. Then put it in the tank back and watch carefully. They fight for sometime and eventually a new pecking order is established. Then they may/may not go together peacefully, which they did in my case. This method has worked out for me so far. As in the pic, they have been moving together in the tank, without any issues the whole day.
That's good! I hope it works out for y'all. When or if you get more I'd try taking both males out for awhile and add the others to the tank. Just to cut down on aggression before it start. Just a thought if it works this time.

Back
Top Bottom