My Banggai loves my Foxface

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

snappa1953

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Anybody had experience pairing a randy female (I assume) Banggai Cardinal?

It is currently trying to interest my Foxface in some shenanigans. 1480823604092.jpg

I'd like to pair "her" with a male Cardinal and give my Foxface some peace. Sexing Cardinals is difficult in juveniles I hear. Firstly I need to confirm that she is female. I assume this because I have read that females to the courting. Secondly I need to explore whether a guaranteed other sex can be supplied by my LFS.

No I haven't but I'll endeavour to do so. One for a girl and two for a boy.

Has anyone had success with a group of Cardinals? I read that pairs work but odd numbers lead to tragedy.

Anyone had a LFS or supplier sex a Cardinal before purchase?

I couldn't see any vent which doesn't help at all eh? Its jaw looks square, it is not full bellied and its second dorsal fin is quite long. That fits a male description from what I've read. Except I haven't seen the one vent that would make it definite.

Either male or female, I still need to check whether a supplier can sex their fish.

Unless you have a really good LFS, I wouldn't count on sexing of any 'difficult' to sex fish.
I haven't kept banggai, as they were more difficult when I started in the hobby. PJ on the other hand I kept for some time, I only housed two because I didn't know any better but didn't see any issues in the 55 gallon system.

Yeah I agree Sniperhank. I've got a 143 gallon 575 xl reefer but I'd be reluctant to add another fish without more certainty.

The romance is over! Rashid the Cardinal is admiring Francis the Foxface from a distance now.

I guess No means No when you have a heap of spines to discourage suitors!

Rashid will have to be a bachelor or spinster from now on......

Back
Top Bottom