My betta fish can't swim down!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KongfuCookie

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
It's so strange. The baby betta I purchased from Petsmart a few weeks ago can't swim to the bottom of the tank. She always has to stay at the top. Can anyone tell me what the possible reasons are?

1) oxygen: I put an air stone in the tank. Plus the filter already creates some water agitation, so there should be enough oxygen in the tank. The flow isn't strong. It is quite gentle.

2) constipation: she doesn't have constipation problem. I only feed her one very little soaked pallet, soaked blood worm or soaked daphnia twice per day, and she always makes good amount poop. She doesn't have big belly.

3) Space: she is in a planted, heated and well filtered 2.5 gallon tank. It's not deep. From the top of the water to the top of the substrate is only 5 inch (I keep the tank shallow).

4) water parameter: fully cycled. tested weekly with API. water change 10-15% everyday. everything is good.

What should I do? Does anyone know what her problem is? Thanks!

She tries with a lot of efforts but floats (against her will) right up. So now she simply stays at the top...

Is it swim bladder problem?

I am worried it might be genetic because she seems to be otherwise healthy. Her belly does look a little bigger (not out of proportion kind) but I have fasted her for two days and fed her with smashed pea. Nothing has changed.

It sounds like swim bladder, have you tried a de shelled pea? That's what I used on my betta when he was like that. I hope he keeps ok for you.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Sorry just noticed you tried the pea. What about Epsom salt?

Sorry just noticed you tried the pea. What about Epsom salt?

I also read that adding some salt may help, but do you know what the theory behind it is? I'm too scared to add things to the tank since my other betta passed away from me adding Maracyn II to help him with fin rot...

My baby betta has been on diet since the day before... My poor fish...ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1393700994.129514.jpg

I also read that adding some salt may help, but do you know what the theory behind it is? I'm too scared to add things to the tank since my other betta passed away from me adding Maracyn II to help him with fin rot...

My baby betta has been on diet since the day before... My poor fish...View attachment 225318

I've never had to use Epsom salt myself usually fasting and then the pea worked for me. I know other people who have used it with success it is safe to use, it helps the betta poop. Has the fish been pooping ok?

That's the thing. Since I put Eco-complete in her tank and planted it, I can't really follow her pooping activities anymore. Her poops are so small (bc she is a baby betta)!!

Poor little girl. I've been feeding her both smashed cooked pea and soaked daphnia. I will try Epsom salt bath when I get the salt (I only have aquarium salt) if she doesn't recover soon...

That's the thing. Since I put Eco-complete in her tank and planted it, I can't really follow her pooping activities anymore. Her poops are so small (bc she is a baby betta)!!

Poor little girl. I've been feeding her both smashed cooked pea and soaked daphnia. I will try Epsom salt bath when I get the salt (I only have aquarium salt) if she doesn't recover soon...

I hope she feels better for you soon, they can be a worry

Back
Top Bottom