My Betta is losing color

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Crewless

Aquarium Advice Activist
White spots on under side and the fins right above him close to the body is also loseing color also around gills please help .......

Moved to FW and Brackish- Unhealthy Fish forum.

Welcome! Would it be possible for you to post a picture of your betta? That would help a lot in determining the problem. Also, if you can, please provide details about your tank- tank size, how long it has been set up, your maintenance schedule, and your readings for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate tests are a good place to start.

ok well i checked and i think nitro and ph are to high btw 5gallon bran new tank with filter would a simple 50%water change help its been about a month since i set it up

Crewless said:
ok well i checked and i think nitro and ph are to high btw 5gallon bran new tank with filter would a simple 50%water change help its been about a month since i set it up

A pwc is always a good idea how high is to high?
Can you test
Ammonia
Nitrites
nitrates
That would help a lot more to see exact numbers

I hope these can help the strip to the right is a new one the one to the left is the one dipped in the tank

Attachments

• image-203505765.jpg
    image-203505765.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 92
  • image-3190618376.jpg
    image-3190618376.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 100
Crewless said:
I hope these can help the strip to the right is a new one the one to the left is the one dipped in the tank

Test strips are notoriously inaccurate find yourself a liquid test kit ASAP preferably API test strips are not even worth looking at

Sorry i didnt add this in my last post but this is the fish tank and the heater in the back is a preset submersable heater

Attachments

• image-3957401150.jpg
    image-3957401150.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 95
Can you help me diagnose my betta by this pic

Here it is the white spots are under the gills

Attachments

• image-465103332.jpg
    image-465103332.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 94
Crewless said:
Here it is the white spots are under the gills

It kinda looks like fungus google fungus on fish and if it looks like it I would recommend API fungus cure I don't wanna say it's for sure hard to tell in the pic

If you are going to test with strips you need to compare them to the colour chart not other strips. The chart will tell the ppm for each of the things. U said the tank is brand new. Did you cycle it at all? If not have you done a water change? Maybe they are ammonia burns or something similar. Either way the best cure is good water quality. A fish immune system is strong but gets weakened when it is under stress

Is it white and puffy? Or does it look like a metallic dusting?

Are those spots I see on the fins as well?

First step is do a large water change.

I changed about 25% of the water and added a fungas tablet bought from walmart and in four days hopeing to do a large water change followed by another fungus tablet and hopefully it wil do the trick

Crewless said:
I changed about 25% of the water and added a fungas tablet bought from walmart and in four days hopeing to do a large water change followed by another fungus tablet and hopefully it wil do the trick

Best of luck let is know how it goes

Well here it is he lost all color in about more than half his body i think its a case of being over stressed

I would recommend keeping the temp at 80F add some fungus like you said. Go to a local pet store and have your water tested with te liquid kit. I have to say strips are very innacurate. Do a 50-60% water change but keep the tempatures the same so there's no temp. shock. Buy aquarium salt and put a tblsp in the filter cartiridge. Does your filter have activated carbon in it? If not i would suggest you do. Hope i helped.

Well here it is he lost all color in about more than half his body i think its a case of being over stressed

Something is wrong with the betta besides run of the mill stress.

What have you done so far in the way of treatment? You said you used a fungus tablet from Walmart...I'm assuming this was Parasite Clear? Did you break the tablet to make it an appropriate dose? Just dropping a whole tablet in would be a terrible overdose for a 5 gallon tank.

Again, I have to ask, does the color change look metallic at all? Do the fins appear to have a dusting over them?

I would recommend keeping the temp at 80F add some fungus like you said. Go to a local pet store and have your water tested with te liquid kit. I have to say strips are very innacurate. Do a 50-60% water change but keep the tempatures the same so there's no temp. shock. Buy aquarium salt and put a tblsp in the filter cartiridge. Does your filter have activated carbon in it? If not i would suggest you do. Hope i helped.

Activated carbon in the filter would be great to remove those parasite meds, but if you had carbon in the cart when you treated then it removed the meds before they could do their work. If so, cut open the cart and remove the carbon and treat again if you think the fish has parasites.

Bettas thrive at 80F and I would recommend keping the tank at the temp always. I know you have a preset heater so that isn't going to be possible. An adjustable heater is great for treating many illnesses as it allows you to increase the temp, so I would invest in one when and if you can.

Ok heres what ill do
....50% water change
..."when i can" buy adjustable heater
.... My room does get cold so ill have to insulate the floor and inner walls .....last winter it droped to about below 30 degrees
....1/4 tablet of "fungal remover " the filter does have actavated charcole but ill remove it i removed it last time but put a whole tablet in made the tank soo green lol
.....i do have a tank thermomiter so i can tell what the temp is ill post a picture of him right after this post

Back
Top Bottom