My Betta is Missing!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishfairy

Aquarium Advice Activist
I came into work this morning and my betta that I keep on my desk is missing! I can't find any trace of him anywhere. There are 2 possibilities as to what has happened to him: 1. He jumped out overnight and the cleaning staff picked up him since I now can't find his body anywhere. This is not like him though. I've had him for months and he's never tried to escape before. 2. Someone is playing a sick joke on me. And if they are, this is NOT funny at all. :(

Were there any other inhabitants in the tank? Does this tank have a filter? If so, I would check the filter intake.

Also, if the cleaning people picked him up, do you think that they would be so rude as to not at least leave a note?

lmw80 said:
Were there any other inhabitants in the tank? Does this tank have a filter? If so, I would check the filter intake.

Also, if the cleaning people picked him up, do you think that they would be so rude as to not at least leave a note?

No he is the only inhabitant in the tank. And yes it has a filter, but I checked that already.

And no I do not think the cleaning people would leave a note if they picked up the fish. They once threw away my wedding picture because they found it on the ground instead of setting it back on my desk, so I don't think they really care that much.

Check all your ornaments, sometimes they get trapped (and unfortunately by now, suffocate) in hollow ornaments. Pull everything from the tank, if he doesn't show I would guess that he jumped out of th tank and the cleaning crew got rid of him. Even fish that don't seem like they would jump can still jump.

Well there really isn't much in the tank except for some gravel, a few small rocks, and 1 plastic plant so there is nowhere for him to be stuck. :(

In the wild bettas jump (or crawl) from puddle to puddle so it's not unusual for them to go carpet surfing in captivity.

i have to ask is your cleaning crew good?
cause if he fell behind the crack of desk i probably wouldnt see him.
when u clean theres things on days u do.
like everyday its garbages and bathroom. and vaccum once or twice week.
so unless the floor is super dirty they wouldnt be getting in behind things.
and cleaning real well. and usually its the end of the the week so u can have it looking clean for the next week. I dont know what ur cleaning crew schedule is but i know that thats what happened when i worked cleaning for different companys.
but enough about that why not just ask them im sure they would remember picking up the fish if they did.

I think its likely he jumped. Its a lesson hard learned but all aquariums should have hoods, always. Sorry for your loss.

My mother had a Betta that was fine for a couple months and then jumped and suffocated one day.

Do you have an undergravel filter? I had one in my small desktop setup and the betta would swim down the tube into the bottom. I was concerned as they can obviously get stuck and suffocate, but he always came up for air...just enjoyed the privacy I guess.

To answer a couple questions:

Ky: The cleaning crew really only cleans up in the aisles between the desks (this is basically a cube farm), but I got down under my desk and looked behind everything and there was no sign of him.

pwrflpills: No it is a HOB filter. The water level was a little to low for him to swim up in it, but I checked there anyway.

:(

hmm thats crazy. i figured as much that they wouldnt go out around them. people are just like that and i seen that. well either way im sorry for your loss. and goodluck finding what happened to him

Back
Top Bottom