My biggest tank yet. ( 90 gal)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sorry I didn't update recently. I've been busy with my finals and my goldfish have come down with terrible fin rot. I cry for them everytime when I see it.

I do wish I had taken a before picture. The silicone was just terrible.
Anyways, heres a picture when I thought I was done the first time:
(btw. Goo Gone doesn't work. Plus its very difficult to get off your tank afterwards. Don't bother with this stuff)
The biggest eye sore on this tank is this scratch:
Residue from the old silicone. This wasn't from one of the bad parts though. The bad part was the bottom front pane.( it wasn't even and it was just ahuge glob of loose silicone) :
I think this was a picture of some of the old silicone?

FINALLY FILLED:

No decorations yet because I'm still treating my fish for their terrible fin rot.It's really bad. I can see the rays in their fins and they went belly up multiple times where I thought I would lose them. Yet, somehow they managed to pull through with my limited knowledge of fish emergency care.

Yikes. :( Some are getting better now...and some are getting worse.

-edit- Looks like one of them is a goner now. :( He was the only actual GOLD coloured goldfish. It's really difficult dealing with these fish now. He showed no signs of fin rot but he had been lying on the bottom of the tank for 2 days and moved him to the hospital tank because he was going belly up and he decided he would stay belly up D: I guess I was too late. Although...the entire 90 gallon is basically a giant hospital tank too...

-edit- woke up this morning to find another one had decided to go bye-bye. I don't think anyone is enjoying my constant screaming " Breathe! Don't DIE!" at the tank anymore.

Not related to this tank but I didn't feel like starting a new thread for it yet. I found some spare glass in my grandmas basement. Think I can build something with it and my left over silicone? The pieces aren't that big maybe 15 g or 20 g max is what I can build. The glass is pretty thin though, since it's glass from left over entertainment stands and tank dividers.

Another one said it's goodbyes last night. I wasn't too surprised though, it had gotten red sores all over it's body right before then ( I don't know how it happens over night but that's what happened). All my small fantails are gone. I'm trying really hard to save a small comet right now. I really hope it makes it.

I realized that I think my tank is cycling (which is good in the long run...but not right now) my fish have never lived in a cycled tank. Since I was so overstocked, I always over cleaned. Despite that, my fish were fine. I move them here and suddenly everyone is sick :( I was always wanting to down size to the proper stock but this wasn't how I wanted it to happen TT^TT I'm seeding the filter with a cycled 10 gallon media but I'm not sure if that's going to be enough. Should I take the sand from my cycled 10 gallon too?

Another one said it's goodbyes last night. I wasn't too surprised though, it had gotten red sores all over it's body right before then ( I don't know how it happens over night but that's what happened). All my small fantails are gone. I'm trying really hard to save a small comet right now. I really hope it makes it.

I realized that I think my tank is cycling (which is good in the long run...but not right now) my fish have never lived in a cycled tank. Since I was so overstocked, I always over cleaned. Despite that, my fish were fine. I move them here and suddenly everyone is sick :( I was always wanting to down size to the proper stock but this wasn't how I wanted it to happen TT^TT I'm seeding the filter with a cycled 10 gallon media but I'm not sure if that's going to be enough. Should I take the sand from my cycled 10 gallon too?

Sorry about your fish :(

Can I ask what your ammonia reading is? I'm inclined to think ammonia burns/poisoning is the cause of death...

Sorry about your fish :(

Can I ask what your ammonia reading is? I'm inclined to think ammonia burns/poisoning is the cause of death...

Thanks. I've lost alot of them over the past few months from water conditioner disasters and now this. :( It seems that only the younger and smaller ones are having fatal trouble with this. The fish I've had for over 6 years are recovering better.

My ammonia kit ran out and I haven't been able to go get a new one yet but I agree that I think it's ammonia burns. I'm doing large water changes every second day but it doesn't seem to last for very long before the fish are sitting at the bottom again :( I believe this was started because my grandma fell ill and we moved to her house to care for her. After we moved I had to spend time siliconing the tank and curing it and during that time I couldn't go home for long enough to change the water for them and all that ammonia built up alot and started all this mayhem. :banghead: I thought they would recover much better after I moved them to a nice big clean tank but it would seem that I was wrong. There is also no water softener here. All I'm getting is hard water. Do you think that's contributing to their poor health?ALso how long does it take to seed a filter?

Thanks. I've lost alot of them over the past few months from water conditioner disasters and now this. :( It seems that only the younger and smaller ones are having fatal trouble with this. The fish I've had for over 6 years are recovering better.

My ammonia kit ran out and I haven't been able to go get a new one yet but I agree that I think it's ammonia burns. I'm doing large water changes every second day but it doesn't seem to last for very long before the fish are sitting at the bottom again :( I believe this was started because my grandma fell ill and we moved to her house to care for her. After we moved I had to spend time siliconing the tank and curing it and during that time I couldn't go home for long enough to change the water for them and all that ammonia built up alot and started all this mayhem. :banghead: I thought they would recover much better after I moved them to a nice big clean tank but it would seem that I was wrong. There is also no water softener here. All I'm getting is hard water. Do you think that's contributing to their poor health?ALso how long does it take to seed a filter?

Real condolences again, I lost my 150G stock but I came home and they were all dead thanks to a leak which while traumatic, was better than having to go through what you are :(

Hard water is fine, I wouldn't stress about that. You need to get yours hands on a test kit, API Master is preferred but if you can't just get something that can check ammonia, nitrItes and nitrAtes. Also you'll need to start doing daily water changes or as often as possible. Have you read up on cycling and how it works?

As for how long...well there's no answer to that. I'd estimate 3 to 4 weeks for a 90G but really there's no guarantee that's why you need the test kit.

Best of luck and stick with it (y)

Real condolences again, I lost my 150G stock but I came home and they were all dead thanks to a leak which while traumatic, was better than having to go through what you are :(

Hard water is fine, I wouldn't stress about that. You need to get yours hands on a test kit, API Master is preferred but if you can't just get something that can check ammonia, nitrItes and nitrAtes. Also you'll need to start doing daily water changes or as often as possible. Have you read up on cycling and how it works?

As for how long...well there's no answer to that. I'd estimate 3 to 4 weeks for a 90G but really there's no guarantee that's why you need the test kit.

Best of luck and stick with it (y)

Thanks. :) Yikes. Actually, a leak would be way worse for me. Considering that this isn't my house. The "owner" of my grandmas house was already flipping his lid when he saw the tank and it wasn't even filled yet! :nono: He said he would kill all my fish if I filled it. They seem to be doing that themselves now. :banghead:

Ah, that's good. I was worried because I didn't know how to remove all the minerals in the hard water. I'll be getting those on my next trip to petsmart but that won't be until at least monday. :eek: I've also run out of dechlorinator so I can't do any changes over 5 gallons today. Well 3 since I just changed some water in the hospital tank. I'll have to have my mom get me some tomorrow. I read up on cycling from time to time and have a cycled 10 gallon and 2 twenties but I've never done something of this scale.

3-4 weeks....I only hope my fish can adjust till then. :hide:

Thanks. I've been spending more time with my fish than studying lately XD

I lost that little comet and another 2 comets afterwards along with one of my fantails that I've had since 2008. ( I put it in the fridge so I could take the little guy home to bury). 4 of my fish are Hospitalized and 2 are in the tank. Yesterday I was sitting there staring at them in awe because they are obviously just really strong fish but today I noticed that they have pop eye. Does popeye come with ammonia poisoning? Or is there something else I should worry about?

I don't want to lose anymore fish. I came here with 14 fish and now only have 7 left. :(

Down to 5. This is one of the worst count downs ever. I lost another comet and another one of the fish I've had since 2008. :nono: I've removed all the fish from the tank and one of those "strong" fish went bye-bye. :bawl:

No more...please :(

Oh no! I am so sorry!!! What is going on with your parameters right now? Do all of your remaining fish have the same symptoms? Is anyone eating? Are you treating with anything?

Oh no! I am so sorry!!! What is going on with your parameters right now? Do all of your remaining fish have the same symptoms? Is anyone eating? Are you treating with anything?

Thank you. The remaining fish have similar problems. Red sores, fin redness, one has pop-eye and they aren't very active like how they used to be but I think that they seem better. I'm treating with Melafix and aquarium salt in a bucket with some plants and a sponge filter. They aren't eating very much, if at all. I feed lightly once a day but maybe only one fish might come up for a nibble. I change the bucket water everyday or sometimes twice a day (half at a time to not shock the fish) .

As for the tank...I drained that darn thing out. I feel like there is something else in there that is contributing to the insane deaths. I'm washing and draining it out multiple times in hopes to get rid of it. I even scrubbed it down. Which kills half of my cycle (If I had one) but I kept all the filter media and decorations safe ;) I feel like there shouldn't have been such a deadly ammonia spike in a clean tank this size. I know it sounds bad but I used to have 22 gold fish in a 40 gal and none of them died from ammonia poisoning. At one point when I was cleaning the 40 gal I had them in a 20 gal for a few weeks :blink: ( With lots of water changes of course) and none died either. Yet, when I moved them over here, within 3 days they started going belly up. I knew that they didn't have perfect life so I wanted to do better for them. Not kill them off slowly :bawl:

Woke up today and there were no dead fish. This is the biggest achievement I've had all week. :D Amazing how they are doing so much better in buckets and bins than in the tank. I'm going to rinse down the tank again later tonight (It'll be the 5th or 12th time now) and fill it either on Thursday or Wednesday night. Or my Mom might fill it for me like she did this morning. Tomorrow, I'll be making a detour after my exam to the pet store to pick up some testing kits.

Alright I think I got everything figured out. It was the wrong silicone. Now that it's all sorted out I'm considering my decorating options. My uncle has some blue and black gravel down stairs. Should I use the blue + back mix or pick out and use only the black gravel? I just got a multicolor LED strip yesterday but blew out the adaptor, inanycase I'll probably use that more than the T5 light in the hood. I was thinking sand...but sand and goldfish just don't mix very well.

Alright I think I got everything figured out. It was the wrong silicone. Now that it's all sorted out I'm considering my decorating options. My uncle has some blue and black gravel down stairs. Should I use the blue + back mix or pick out and use only the black gravel? I just got a multicolor LED strip yesterday but blew out the adaptor, inanycase I'll probably use that more than the T5 light in the hood. I was thinking sand...but sand and goldfish just don't mix very well.

Sand suits goldfish very well! They can't choke on it, and its easier to keep clean :)

Back
Top Bottom