My BioCube 29 gallon journey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

22engine

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well as the title says this is the beginning of my journey into saltwater with the BioCube. Have had it for a couple weeks but just finished setting it up and getting water in it. I went back and forth if I should buy a stand or use the expensive end table I already had. After much looking at all the LFS I decided that my end table was made with better material and thicker wood and not particle board. The cube fits perfect on it with an inch all around which is we're the supports are. In the picture you can see that I cut some 2by4 pieces for extra support in the middle. Dont really think it needed it but I'm a little OCD so it can't hurt. Just need to stain them to match now.

View attachment 101803

Well as you can see it is cloudy from the sand and water. I have 30 pounds of live sand and a mix of live rock and base rock. I put a korila 425 pump in and am going to order another one and maybe the controller. But first I am getting the inTank media basket. I removed the false floors and the little piece for better flow. I will post some more pics when the tank clears to get some thoughts on my aquascape. Also feel free to give me any advice as I am new to this.
Thanks for looking Dan

Well it cleared up nice over night. Had to point the koralia up some as it made a sand dune in the middle and pushed a lot of the sand from the from left corner. Also buried a piece of live rock. Here is a FTS

View attachment 101935

I think I might go get some more live rock and switch out a piece or two of the base rock. I went with as much as I did based the the advice of the LFS. What does everyone think. Also how do you like the rock work.

Looking good!

I love my media baskets, like the best purchase I made for my cube. :)

I run chemipure elite, purigen and a filter pad on top.

Went to the LFS today and grabbed some more live rock and removed some of the base rock. They tested the water and everything was ok. Told them I was going to put a raw shrimp in to help the cycle and they said to just use a yellow tail damsel cause they are 3 bucks and hearty and will do better than a raw shrimp would with the cycle. What does everyone think. I know I have read that before

it's much nicer to cycle without fish. The poor fish are exposed to the ammonia and nitrites and may or may not die. Much easier cycling with a raw shrimp or pure ammonia.

That's what u was thinking. They also told me that the live rock I have and the live sand would make the base coral rock become re inhabited. Is this the case or will it take a real long time. I obv am not expecting anything overnight just curious. Sorry for all the questions. New to the community and appreciate the help

I cycled my nano for 2 months before putting anything in it. That may be a bit long but i had money issues anyway but it all worked out. And i got a few colony polyps on the rock that i bought and they survived through the whole
Cycle :).

Base rock will become live after a few weeks and will look like regular old live rock after a few months. Definitely a good way to save money. I started with about 40lbs of live rock and now have probably over 350lbs of it. It's all purple and you cant tell it apart from the base rock. :)

Thanks for the response. That's what I was hoping for. It was def cheaper only 1.99 lb as oppose to 6.99. I got another chunk of live today and took some base out. Haven't seen any hitch hikers on the live. Looking forward to watching it all grow and change

It takes time. I got yellow colny polyps on mine and several pods and hermits... And
A baby serpent star be he dissapeared :(

It takes time. I got yellow colny polyps on mine and several pods and hermits... And
A baby serpent star be he dissapeared :(

im hoping something will show up. Well something good atleast lol. it will give my kids something to look at because the keep asking me and dont get the patients concept yet.

Thats kinda adorable
Lol, dont worry you will probably see SOMETHING eventually. Get a cleanup crew once its lookin a little green/red

A clean up crew is a def once some color starts appearing. It's funny cause my son will look at the live rock and see something moving cause of the koralia pump and will ask is that something

I have also just began cycling my anniversary present the bio 29. I used to have a 125 reef and it was awesome. ..... expensive but awesome. since then i sold it and had the parts to set up a 30g and kept telling the wife it's gonna happen so deal with it.

so intead of fighting it she bought me the bio 29.

I went out and started with 30 lbs of live sand and then about 20 lbs of nice live rock that was well established. One thing i don't like so far is the stock filter pad with the carbon compartments. Once all the sand settled it clogged immediatley ( 3-days) and i was forced to change it.

Now I'm having issues with algae. Got home today and had it floating on the surface of the water.

Checked nitrite and nitrate and was a little high so did a 10% change.

Right now it's all stock ( no mods ). Any suggestions? I've been up and running since last Tuesday.

I was head over to inTanks website. Also I cut out the tab between chambers one and two to increase the flow. I order the media basket from inTank and you just take the carbon filter rite out. There are shelves in the media basket. Take out the bio balls as they are known the cause nitrate issues. I'll post the site in a sec

Thanks 22engine .... I'll check it out

the image is after today's water change.

Attachments

• IMAG0231.jpg
    IMAG0231.jpg
    189.5 KB · Views: 298
Back
Top Bottom