My BioCube 29 gallon journey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Got in my test API master test kit yesterday. And my ammonia, trites, and trates are all zero. My ph was 7.8 still a little low but we will see what happens. I ordered a refractometer today from marine depot cause everyone says they are the best for salinity and it's marine depots deal of the day at 39.99. My inTank media basket and fuge should be here hopefully by the weekend. Will post some more pics when install the baskets

22engine said:
Got in my test API master test kit yesterday. And my ammonia, trites, and trates are all zero. My ph was 7.8 still a little low but we will see what happens. I ordered a refractometer today from marine depot cause everyone says they are the best for salinity and it's marine depots deal of the day at 39.99. My inTank media basket and fuge should be here hopefully by the weekend. Will post some more pics when install the baskets

Still no sign of a cycle? Why not try throwing a table shrimp (grocery store) in there to boost it forward. Just put it in a net and lay the net on the bottom of the tank

Due to poor advice I have a damsel in the tank for a week and a half. I know people will probably jump down my throat but I am learning on here. I keep watching the levels and test everyday per a article on here about fish in cycle.

I know they probably won't make it but I moved a piece of live rock I had that came with a ton of hitch hikers up to the middle for some better lighting for the 30 plus baby zoa's and this miring before I left for work I saw two baby star fish. Can anyone identify them. Here is a pic. They are green toward the bottom of the pic.

View attachment 104566

The coral might make it through the cycle, since you have a fish in the tank the ammonia shouldnt get too high since you'll be doing frequent water changes. :)

I can't see the starfish, but if they are white and stubby they could be asterina stars. If they have little legs that come out of the rock they are baby brittle starfish. Both are fine to have in the tank too.

I do not have a problem doing water changes. It's been a couple weeks and have done two 5 gallon changes. The star fish look green. My wife said one moved onto a lighter piece of rock so I'll post a pic when I get home. They are really tiny. Although one wasn't moving so I'm not sure if he is dead.

22engine said:
Will water changes affect any cycle though

No. Many people will say yes, but they are confused on whats happening. I cycle all my tanks with normal weekly or bi-weekly changes.

Schism said:
No. Many people will say yes, but they are confused on whats happening. I cycle all my tanks with normal weekly or bi-weekly changes.

Thanks. That's what I plan on doing weekly changes of 2 1/2 to five gallons

Jlsardina said:
Water changes won't hurt the cycle- just prolong it a little

Ok sounds good. I'll do 2 1/2 gallon ones which is 10 %. I would rather it extend it a little and keep the damsel happier.

Jlsardina said:
Water changes won't hurt the cycle- just prolong it a little

Does not prolong it either. Think about how that would happen. What doesnt a water change do that would halt a cycle? Nothing. The only thing you are doing is removing food, ie ammonia/nitrite. The bb colonies are still there and still eating doing there job. Remember the water does not contain the BB, just the food for them. And you are not taking that food source away with a water change, just adjusting the levels of ammonia, nitrite and nitrate.

This is why i feel this topic so controversial.

You can dose 1ppm ammonia if you wanted and the do a 20% water change. Your still left with .8 ppm ammonia and the cycle still occurs.

So if anyone thinks they can debate that then i would love to here it out in a PM so we dont take over the OP's thread.

Ive been told a lot of things over the years and ive heard that one over and over again but no one ever can explain how it could/would possibly slow down or halt your cycle.

I hear lots of myths like that in this hobby.

I've cycled several tanks, like alot really and have only ever done a water change on one. And that one I overdosed on pure ammonia, I added like a cup to a 29g tank!!! LOL My first attempt at a non fish in cycle and I had to do several water changes to get back down to readable amounts of ammonia. Live and learn.

I just finished soft cycling my bio cube again and didn't do any changes or anythign for that matter. Kept dosing to 1ppm and kept the lights off and just let it sit. :)

Since the OP has a fish in then she will have to do water changes regardless to keep that fish in good shape.

Not sure which end of the debate I'm on, facts are facts and I don't think water changes can hurt but without them you can at least keep the ammonia at a constant readable level to track the cycle. Thats my 2 cents on that. lol

Good luck with the tank and fish, you will be just fine as long as you stay on it.

Thanks all I am learning and just to throw it out there I am a guy not a she lol. The pink IAFF as my avatar represents the fight against breast cancer.

Some pics from today. All my levels are at zero and ph looks to be 8 from my API test kit. Hard to tell the colors are really close in the ph side.

View attachment 105622

Just ordered the Kydor Smartwave Controller and a second 425 pump. Also ordered the mj1200 to replace the stock pump. Found the old model on amazon not the new one that's made in China. Now I can use the stock pump to circulate the salt water I make overnight before it goes in the tank. Next gotta get some LED lights so I don't have to run a fan on the tank during the day

My inTank media basket and refugium will be here today and just ordered Chaeto off eBay.

My inTank basket and and refugium are installed. My Chaeto should be here in a day or two. My other koralia 425 and wave maker will be here tomorrow along with the upgraded pump. Going to a new LFS I found today online that's about 25-30 min away and they carry the Aqua Illumination SOL blue. We will see what happens lol.

Back
Top Bottom