My buddy caught ick, but i have some questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Franco7

Aquarium Advice Activist
Well my buddy caught ick and he tried to treat it, but that didn't work out to well so he decided to do a 100% water change and start over. Mind you this is his second time he lost fish and i mean all of his fish, so hes not to happy. He ask me to post and ask if he did a 100% water change and is going to use the same filters and gravel does he have to treat the water with ick meds while hes cycling or will the ick be gone after 100% water change? Also does ick infect the live bacteria on his filters and stuff, like if he uses the same filters and gravel will ick still be present and infect him again?

Thanks guys.

The heat and salt treatment is the most effective method and it won't hurt the cycle. Ich does generally need to find a host and it cannot infect bacteria (too small) so it may be gone but this way you will know that it is. Most ich meds only kill the free swimming protozoan and not the cysts, which would be in the gravel.

Back
Top Bottom