My cycle log.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pistolero

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I got my 40 long full of mostly Prime treated tap water, and a couple inches of white gravel (the sand didn't work out). Running a new Aquaclear 70. I have a 10 gallon almost through with a fishless cycle so I took the bio bag for the 70 and hung it in that tank for a couple days and took a couple gallons out of it for the new one.
Added some ammonia and a pinch of flake food. So this is where it begins:

Day 1 stats:

ph 7.5
ammonia 4.0
nitrite 0

Stay tuned. :popcorn:

Edited to add: Oh yeah, 75* F, just turned the heater on.

Day 2:

83* F
ph 7.5
ammonia 4.0
nitrite 0

Stopped by a lfs on the way home from work today and picked up one of these:
D&T Aquarium Supplies - Deep Blue Professional ProSponge System 30 BioFilter u/t 40gal.
and set it up on the opposite end of the tank from the Aquaclear 70, hooked air up to it with a fine bubble stone. Gonna have some major filtration goin on in heeah.

Think I should turn up the heat a couple degrees? High 80's to 90 ish should be best for BB, no?

Your temp is fine where it is I think.

No nitrites or ammonia movement is typical for day 3, it's just frustrating, but you're well into the normal range. Usually nitrites show up within the 2nd week (on average, every cycle is different though). Good luck!

Today:

84 degrees.
ammonia 3-4 ppm
nitrite >0 but <0.25
nitrates 5 ppm

I was just going to test the nitrite but when it was less than it was yesterday that sort of threw me for a loop.
I did take the air pump off of the sponge filter last night because I need to hatch out a batch of baby brine shrimp.
?????

Did you have nitrAtes yesterday, do you know? YOu have them now, so maybe the nitrites were converted to nitrates? I think you're OK. :)

Didn't check the nitrates yesterday since it was the first time nitrites showed and it was only at 0.25. I'm assuming with the seeded filter material and water the bugs that convert the nitrite to nitrate got a head start same as the ammonia to nitrite ones. Just surprised me a little it took several days to get trites and then they went down overnight. I would have doubted my tests but the nitrates showed so I guess it's good.:)
I'll add a few drops of ammonia.

ETA: Added several drops of ammonia, tested to a positive 4 ppm. 9:45 PM

Hmmm, things seemed to be starting early but no change for two days now.

Temp 80 degrees
Ammonia 4 ppm
nitrite 0.25 ppm
nitrate 5 ppm

My temps dropped quite a bit, so that may have slowed it down some. The heater accidentally got unplugged somehow and I didn't realize until it got into the 70's. Hopefully when It comes back up into the high 80's it will resume the rapid progress observed earlier.:cool:

Edited to add: ph = 7.5

Last edited:
OK new change. I found a 55 on craigslist for $75 with a nice stand and the wife said she would rather have that than the plain iron one. So I'm going to get it cleaned out and move the water, gravel, and filters over to it. I figure the cycle shouldn't be affected too much if all the same stuff is just moved to a different container and why not go with the 10 extra gallons of room, the footprint is the same, it's just a few inches taller.

Today, still in the 40. A little nitrite bump. :cool:

temp = 79 degrees
ph = 7.5
ammonia = 4 ish
nitrite = 0.5 ppm
nitrate = 5 ppm

Still want to get the temps up a little, just going slow.

OK new change. I found a 55 on craigslist for $75 with a nice stand and the wife said she would rather have that than the plain iron one. So I'm going to get it cleaned out and move the water, gravel, and filters over to it. I figure the cycle shouldn't be affected too much if all the same stuff is just moved to a different container and why not go with the 10 extra gallons of room, the footprint is the same, it's just a few inches taller.

Nice! Just be sure to keep everything wet (filter media, substrate, etc) with tank water or dechlorinated water (not raw tap water) while you're moving or else you'll risk the bacteria drying out.

temp = 80 degrees
ph = 7.5
ammonia = 4 ppm
nitrite = 1.0 ppm
nitrate = >5 <10 ppm

Oh yeah, we got it goin on now. :dance:
Added a pinch of flake food and a few drops of ammonia last night.

Back
Top Bottom