My cycle log.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
THANKS GUYS!

It's been about 24 hours and just tested, ammonia and nitrite still at ZERO.:cool:

How's this sound for a plan to start out with? If I do a gravel vac of half the aquarium each week with a 15 gallon water change, that should be around 25-30%.
I Plan to fast them one day a week also. The two bigger ones are so huge compared to Bettas, the big one probably would weigh as much as 10 or 12 Bettas I'd guess. It's easy to tell when a Betta's belly is pooching out too much but these things are so big and round! I'm afraid to feed them too much, but I'm afraid I won't feed them enough being used to the betta's that get 4 or 5 small pellets a day and an occasional bloodworm. They are so much larger and they are so much more active, they never stop moving!
The guy that sold us the big one mentioned also that one reason they are such a notoriously "messy, dirty" fish is their digestive system is not very efficient requiring more food, that makes more waste.

pistolero said:
THANKS GUYS!

It's been about 24 hours and just tested, ammonia and nitrite still at ZERO.:cool:

How's this sound for a plan to start out with? If I do a gravel vac of half the aquarium each week with a 15 gallon water change, that should be around 25-30%.
I Plan to fast them one day a week also. The two bigger ones are so huge compared to Bettas, the big one probably would weigh as much as 10 or 12 Bettas I'd guess. It's easy to tell when a Betta's belly is pooching out too much but these things are so big and round! I'm afraid to feed them too much, but I'm afraid I won't feed them enough being used to the betta's that get 4 or 5 small pellets a day and an occasional bloodworm. They are so much larger and they are so much more active, they never stop moving!
The guy that sold us the big one mentioned also that one reason they are such a notoriously "messy, dirty" fish is their digestive system is not very efficient requiring more food, that makes more waste.

Sounds like a plan. I'm not sure what the feeding requirements of Goldfish are...but I do believe they're different from tropical fish. Vacuuming the substrate won't hurt anything (despite what you read online). I just switched out every spec of gravel and replaced it with sand...and I didn't have any hint of a toxin spike. There's very, very little beneficial bacteria there.

Back
Top Bottom