My enhanced light

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Homer8

Aquarium Advice FINatic
i had 2 20 gallon hood lights that were beat up that someone had thrown away. So i decided to put them together. each bulb is 25 watts i had some of the old bulbs in there till i get cfls. Im going to use this on a 10 gallon planted tank. I didnt know if i could connect 2 sockets together so instead the light has 2 cords coming out the back. if i can hook these two up together i probably will so i can get rid of one cord but id still keep the 2 on/off switches. With this set up I can have 10W per gallon but ill probably get 14W bulbs instead.

Looks good. Are they mositure resistant? I had an old hood I did something similar too, after about a year i started to hear arcing - Dangerous!.

as well, Keep an eye on the heat, espically if you leave the incandescent lights in there.

yea im definitely not keeping the incandescent lights in there the other light fixture is partially melted. do you think i could wire them together to eliminate one of the plugs or will it be too much?

Since there is no splash shield on the hoods, you ought to make sure you get bulbs labeled as "weather safe" or "weather resistant".

those switches are a bit crapy - it'd be hard to wire it. I would really recommend soldering and shrink tubing though, as marettes(sp?) covered in electrical tape wouldn't handle the heat/wet/cold/wet/heat/wet very well.

Also, when lighting a 10 gallon, the same "lighting rules" don't quite apply. But keep in mind you don't want to give your fish a sunburn :p (some fish are uncomfortable in very "well lit" tanks. Also, beware of algae.

Back
Top Bottom