My Favorite LFS Burns to the Ground

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BrianNY

Aquarium Advice Addict
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

I just turned on the news and heard about the 8 alarm fire. BTJs Pet Jungle burned to the ground. None of the hundreds of animals survived. They had so many exotic birds, mammals and reptiles as well as an outstanding fish selection.

What a horrific loss. Jon, this is where I took you and Ally.
:cry: :cry: :cry:

That's just terrible, Brian. :cry:
I wonder what caused the fire. Also, I think petstores should be required to have smoke alarms and sprinklers. It's too bad all those animals perished. :( :( :(

Oh no Brian! This is terrible! This should really be a wake-up call to other pet stores to have an emergency evacuation plan.

According to reports the fire depts were called at 3AM. The fire is under investigation of course. I don't know how one would evacuate hundreds of animals in cages and tanks. It was a huge place. Many of the animals there were for display only. They always had lots of help and the animals were well cared for. It really does break my heart. Expecially since I would go in weekly. Many times just to see how puppies and kittens were doing.

Wow, sad to think about all those poor animals without a way of escape. Sorry to hear. Breaks my heart. :(

Ahh I'm so sorry to hear that...The poor animals!

Omg...puppies were roasted to death :-(

That must of been one hell of a fire to burn up all the aquariums too...

Normally the glass would just crack and put out a lot of the fire...

Sounds kinda fishy to me...

On the local news they said the fire was electrical. Possibly faulty or improperly set up Christmas decorations.

It is very sad. They interviewed a few employees that arrived at the scene. Said they had brought in extra puppies for Christmas and were holding many specially ordered animals for Christmas. They were all crying and said they felt worse for the owners who are devestated.

You can probably read about it on www.news12.com

I'm very sorry to hear this :cry: :cry: :cry:
It's heartbreaking because you know the animals couldn't do anything to get to safety on their own. :( :(

I hate to hear about this - I am surprised that sprinklers were not installed that could have helped. It is a real nightmare to think about. I'll echo Menagerie: :bawl:

I'm so sorry to hear about this too -- what a tragedy, and so close to Christmas too... :cry:

Hopefully other pet stores in the area will double-check their smoke alarms and sprinkler systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom