Riled over the fate of todays pet Bettas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Christmasfish

Aquarium Advice Addict
.....AKA What I learned about "Bettas" at age 6:

Every time I see a 4x4 inch cup sold as a bettabox, I shudder.
That goes for bubble, gimmicky bowls and brandy snifters, too.
Everytime I see rows of bettas in cups that are blue with meds and filthy with debris I burn.
Everytime I see several dead bettas on those same shelves I wanna grab a soapbox.
And everytime I hear another statement about how bettas live in puddles and DON"T NEED Space, I freak and rant. And yesterday I saw it posted the one time too many! So here goes...! :evil:

If Bettas need less space based mostly upon the fact that they breathe air, why not Gouramis, or Lungfish, Snakeheads?
Because a cruel myth has been perpetuated! That's Why!
And the corporate pet sellers and their backyard breeders of the fish world would prefer it so!
Fish warehouses in asia may raise them in bottles and jars,
but true breeders in Asia raise them as every other fish fancier handles their wet friends. Those warehouses are just fish sweatshops!
The ol' rule of thumb....gallon /inch minimum.
My grandfather bred and raised show quality Siamese fighting fish of the time (as well as a few other species). He actually flew out East for some of his desired specimens.
Sure they didn't come in all the color and style of today.The veils would be unaccepted and the deltas would be considered skimpy.
But they were glowing, vibrant, big and healthy as horses.
And even back in the archaic 70's they were kept just as any other aggressive fish. In community tanks with some neutral species or in a big "paddy he built that was planted.
In fact I think they still sold goldfish as "easy" then and in little betta style bowls and little square glass tanks.
And they would sell you you as many guppies as you would take home, so your kid could watch them all slowly but surely die.
I never wanted fancy goldfish. That was another thing my grandfather handled. They were ALWAYS delicatein some ways.
Now I realize that his perfect temps for tropicals was prolly bad for them. Even with the special circulator he built (He lived in Southern Cal)
He had several betta males in that same tank with none coming up dead. He had 11 females that swam with a school of same shaped fish that are not known to me. Granted most of his tanks were 20 gal and up.
When identifying quality he'd have a shelf with literally hundreds of large qt jars. To prevent fin damage as they come of age, this is a necessary temporary home. But Neither he nor his peers that I saw come over ever suggested they live that way permanently!
(I know hundreds because my paid task was to gently handle and clean ALL the jars every day after school! ^ .^)
They were friendly as puppies and some occasionally nipped during chow time. They jumped good!
There was always 1-2 that made the leap to the floor mats and had to be de-stressed.
And in the fast food franchises of the animal world, the experts are still simply retail cashiers for the most part.
Low paid and poorly trained with some shining exceptions. They will sell you the tank and the fish on the same day. ANY of them. Test and see.
Put a handleable size tank in a basket and look at fish and they will be ready to bag em right there! Any one you want!

Though poor circumstance may end up trapping a betta in a true puddle, most live in asian style bayous and swamps, or in the ditches and fields of rice paddies. When I say ditch, it runs along ALL that farms paddies! Rice needs constant water supply!
see: http://www.bettadreams.com/ricepaddies.html
Heh<>while searching for a Rice Paddy image, here is a betta lover who says also..No More Cups! i am not a single voice! Here-here!
Wonder why bettas left their murkier swamps to live in Rice paddies? If they like small space and still water so much
why move to unfamiliar territory when they do stay in a small range?.... Better, more available, constant water supply!
Now someone tell me they prefer stagnant, still, TINY cups and bowls!
It is one of the outrages of animal care left in the world. And gets less press because they are fish. Somehow because they show no outward symptoms of discomfort, it translated to feel no pain.
When Fluffy the Sea Otter is living in a wittle swimming pool and has a dog door to the house; and never sees others of his kind..whoa! EVERY one is involved, people freak over his "unnatural" existence..
The general public cares more what happens to veal calves that are being prepped for consumption than their own domesticated friends, ,that live with them daily. At least the calf is there only 8 months of his soon to be ended life! The poor Bettas live the same set of conditions for years! And it isn't just Bettas. I was a former feline fancier and
I have seen stock kept in horrific conditions. No wonder pets are not fun anymore. They have the wrong reactions to stimuli based on their inbred physiology and their scarred psyches from being unsocialized, unhealthy and poorly kept.
Those of us that are older..before there were 30 styles of catbox and litter....
Do you remember your old housecat EVER defecating in the house as an adult? or not being unable to eat right?Or being "prone" to a disease? And I wont even touch dogs! The subject of today's rant is fish, the Betta in particular. I am not an expert. My grandfather probably was in his day. And I know nothing about tetras or platys. Or marine fishkeepin, other than bits and pieces overheard as a kid. But I know verbal justification for a bad action when I see it. It is up to us to ensure these animals that are genetically altered for our pleasures are kept in standards above and beyond what they might encounter as their wild from. We have made them weaker genetically than their wild counterparts.
It is our duty to keep them safe and comfortable! If we cannot do so, then we need to be satisfied with a virtual pet. If the word expense creeps into your vocabulary, especially when referring to purchase of the bacsic necessities for the creatures health, then it is probably the wrong pet/hobby for you. My daughter on her own has made over 700 in a year to put to her plan to have a parrot and breed bettas. She's 8. She has planned this all for a year. She has ordered custom tanks, shelves.
If she can be prepared to care for a animal, we adults should do better (incl me :roll: :oops: )
Anyway that is the fussy opinion of this former genetic engineer (and still training..still a lot of formal school left) and breeder of rare animals and cats. I rarely go into petsmart type places. It is in and out for items I need. Now that I frequent the fish zone waiting to snap up the small heaters when they come in I see TO much. My daughter is right. I should do my small part and just order Foster &Smith again. A slight rise in expense but a show of principle against the megalith petpalaces.

I look at my fish the same as the dog, cat, bird or the kids to an extent. They are my wards as long as they reside with me, and it is my duty to
ensure them happy, long, comfortable lives.
*Wipes foam from lips and steps down from high horse* Mighty thirsty! Gimme an Ale! Barkeep, I wurked me up a mahty thurst!

I can't imagine my betta in anything smaller than his 5 gallon planted palace with his pet shrimp and snails.

It always makes me sad to see a betta in those little glass bowls that are so small that you couldn't even pour a beer into without it spilling all over the place...(that's a very small bowl.

But what to do about it?

After seeing my Betta swim around my 10g tank constantly, I cringe to think about what he would do if I put him in one of those Betta tanks. The Betta is probably the most active non-Guppy fish I have, he never stops moving and looking around the tank.

I will say that I totally disagree with selling Bettas in little plastics cups. When I decided to get a Betta, I went to the one pet shop in my area that keeps Betta in their regular fish tanks (one male per tank, housed with non-aggressive tropicals). This way I could still get a Betta, but I was not supporting the retail practice of keeping them in tiny cups.

Well said, Christmasfish!

Fortunately, I have been blessed to find a lfs that actually cares about the quality of life of their livestock. They ALWAYS ask me about my setup whenever I buy fish there and I truly appreciate their concern.

I am always astounded by the horrific conditions in the mega-pet stores. I wish they would stick to selling 50 lb bags of dogfood instead of puppies crammed in a 3x3x3 foot cage; aquarium filters instead of diseased feeder goldies kept in a dirty overcrowded tank; and Habitrail tubes instead of the sick rats and mice that they peddle from overcrowded cages.

"Fortunately, I have been blessed to find a lfs that actually cares about the quality of life of their livestock. They ALWAYS ask me about my setup whenever I buy fish there and I truly appreciate their concern."

The LFS I try to go to (and where I bought the Betta) has every single tank planted except for the Cichlid tanks. None of the tanks are very overstocked either, which make it weird because you do not see 50 fish in each tank at a time. They also ask what size tank every fish is going to, what the tankmates will be, and just refuse to sell you any fish that are not compatible for your tank. When people say, "But I am going to get a bigger tank..." they just make you come back when you have it :)

I don't keep bettas in anything less than 10gal.

and I am the type that gets on the soapbox [ Namely at Wally World ] and tells people who are buying bettas that they need more than their little two own betta hex that the store clerk gave them.

Its cruel and unusual punishment to the umteenth degree! :evil: :evil:

Speaking of cruel and unusual... I actually saw a "Buy one Get one Free" sale on Bettas at Meijer's... I can only imagine the number of casualties that will likely occur from unexperienced fish buyers looking to cash in on a good deal. :|

HEAR HEAR!!!!!

Well said!!

Speaking of mistreating dogs and cats, many types of commercially prepared dog and cat food do a pretty good job of making pets miserable and sick. Here is one example written by Ann Martin.

http://www.doberescue.com/faq/items/12.html

Like my mom tells me every time I rant in disbelief of people and businesses that are blatantly unethical and evil:

"For them, it's all about money and power".

Mom is right - and killing pets and people on the "way to the top" is just no big deal for many of the the unethical "businesspeople" of the world (think cyanide fish capture, junk food, dyes and sweeteners, modern chemical medicine)

Absolutely agree. My betta makes full use of our 55 gallon tank--he is one of the strongest and most enthusiastic swimmers in there. I would hate to think of him living in a little cup.....or any of his relatives.

Well said! Even the good LFS locally has bettas in little bowls :( I am all inspired now to give them some *explitive* next time I am there.

Yeah!! Let's give those *expletives* some *expletive expletive expletive* serious piece of *shocking expletive* reason for being a *expletive expletive expletive expletive* better bunch of *expletive expletive expletive* fishkeepers!!

(kidding.. just a little levity there)

Well said, indeed. And I'm glad to hear a story about responsible breeding. I feel very depressed about the condition of care for tropical and other fish and hope that at some point I can make a difference legislatively! Bettas and goldfish are, obviously, the extreme and most common cases of this... Whenever I'm in a fish store and see a person new to the hobby buying a fish and bowl on the same day, I try to steer them toward research and patience.

However... It's important to separate advice from accusation. In the future, I recommend that anybody who feels strongly about any subject politely advise another member of the site to consider the high mortality of fish in small spaces (etc.) or start their own thread (as Christmasfish has) and express their views without making them referential to another member's posts. Often, if you want to discuss an issue relating to ethics, it is better to start a thread in the Lounge. This is a more politically-inclined space.

Just trying to keep the site as friendly as possible *and* keep a free discourse about humane treatment of fish!!

Oh my foul mouth, gets me in trouble all the time :oops: I'll have to watch my *explitive* language.

In RL I actually do swear like a dockworker :D but in a jolly, friendly way LOL

And just when I was feeling better about the 1 gal tank I have my betta's in. Dang. Maybe this weekend I'll release them into my 55 gal and watch for any aggression, I would put one in my 26 gal but the mollies don't like betta's.

aawwww..don't feel too bad

aawwww..don't feel too bad!
At least your betta can actually turn around still and can move way from dirty spots. My rant is more for the industry that perpetuated the "no-muss;no fuss" fish myth (though as fish go, Bettas are as close to bullit proof as you can get) and the people that REALLY want to cling to this myth.

He'll survive..... though if can he get on well with your community's examples that would be super keen. I am keeping our first bettas in 5 litre (gal 1/2)mini-aquariums currently. And I had planned to have them that way for a couple months. I want to set up tanks like my grandpa's.
Sometimes bachelor quarters end up the only way. Heck I am having trouble keeping gourami and female bettas in one tank. (though i had luck with ONE female Bettas and the gourami female sharing a space)But the water changes are a pain. I figured as soon as they each get over their creeping crud I 'd split up a big tank between them.
Unfortunately each one came with a different disease or I'd put them all in the same hospital tank. Betta A had Ich, BettaB has Anchor worms, And betta C has colum- whateveris. The small fish store guy smiles shakes head when he sees me now. The fish he sold me were healthy and still are. Though one sure beat up the other (so another peeled off as a single). The tanks are looking like weird knick-knacks in here now......
My daughter has ordered herself some custom tanks which she will post here after she has her own name approved and set up. She is quite serious in her endevour.

**edit: heh, guess spell check can accept both from and form ^.^

Good post!

I hate it how some LPS don't take care of their fish. Just because they don't have fur, you can't take them for walks, teach them to sit and stay, ect ect doesn't mean they don't diserve to be treated right, fish have feelings to.

ashley

They will sell you the tank and the fish on the same day. ANY of them. Test and see.
I agree to your stance on the bettas, but I have actually witnessed a large pet chain employee in the Everett, WA area tell a customer THE TRUTH! The customer and his girlfriend were buying an acrylic 2 gallon tank, picking out all sorts of fish for it and the employee told them about cycling and that they had to come back in a few days to pick out two fish for the tank. A few days!? Two fish!? The customers put down their cheap tank and left. I was floored.
:eek2:

Back
Top Bottom