My first 20 gallon freshwater!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, Help! I fed the fish this evening, after the water change, turned the lights off. Everyone was Fine. I came over to take a sample for gh and ph testing, and another turquoise guppy is dead. His belly is bloated, there's a red spot on his belly. Sorry for the gruesome photo, but I have to ask you all what is this! I'm a bit freaked out.

image-782186021.jpg

image-2115073231.jpg

I had to dispose of him, ugh, and that was gruesome. I looked more closely, and I think it's blood on his belly. Either he got bit, or more likely, constipation?

Well, Help! I fed the fish this evening, after the water change, turned the lights off. Everyone was Fine. I came over to take a sample for gh and ph testing, and another turquoise guppy is dead. His belly is bloated, there's a red spot on his belly. Sorry for the gruesome photo, but I have to ask you all what is this! I'm a bit freaked out.

Don't worry about "gruesome pictures". I have seen worse. The red dot is either blood or a parasite infection. Was the guppy swimming a bit wonky when u last saw him? Good thing u disposed of him. If it was a parasite, it might spread if left in there too long.

I looked closer and it was definitely blood. It looked like his skin had a small hairline crack in it. I'm going to fast them all for a day.

Last night after I switched off the light, though, ad switched it back on for some reason, he was sitting on the bottom of the tank. He was swimming apart from the others but at top of the water today. And then when he fed, he seemed normal.

I looked closer and it was definitely blood. It looked like his skin had a small hairline crack in it. I'm going to fast them all for a day.

Last night after I switched off the light, though, ad switched it back on for some reason, he was sitting on the bottom of the tank. He was swimming apart from the others but at top of the water today. And then when he fed, he seemed normal.

Huh. I have never heard of a fish having a "crack" in there anal area and blood coming out too..... I have no clue what it is. When he was swimming, was he kinda swimming awkwardly? He might have had some kind of parasite.

No, not on his anal area, but on his belly below the gills. He was swimming fine at the top of the tank but away from the other guppies. Going to go get frozen peas tomorrow.

Well, the third and last turquoise guppy died. During the night sometime. He wasn't bloated and no red spot on his belly. All other fish seem fine. I'm very frustrated do you guys think I should treat the tank, and if so, what product would you recommend?

Last edited:
Well, the third and last turquoise guppy died. During the night sometime. He wasn't bloated and no red spot on his belly. All other fish seem fine. I'm very frustrated do you guys think I should treat the tank, and if so, what product would you recommend?

I would only start treating if other kinds of fish ( not guppies ) start dieing. Whatever happened to he guppies may only affect guppies so don't treat unless the sickness spreads to others. Sorry to hear that all your guppies died. :(

Thanks. The three lyre tailed guppies are still ok. Keeping my fingers crossed.

They are the same species of the guppies who already died?
From what I read, yes. I saw the lyre tailed and the turquoise are both fancy guppies and they had the same scientific name. I Googled last night.

From what I read, yes. I saw the lyre tailed and the turquoise are both fancy guppies and they had the same scientific name. I Googled last night.

Oh. Hopefully they don't catch the disease. If they do die, I wouldn't get any more guppies and get hardier breeds.

Quite a few posts on here from different states. I have been lucky, no deaths for mine. *Knocks on wood*

I have never actually really liked keeping guppies cause they seem so easily get sucked up into filter and seem so tiny in comparison to other fish.

Back
Top Bottom