My First Aquascape - Fluval Spec V

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thank you for the recommendation, but I do not think a peacock gudgeon is suitable for my tank, as pretty as it is. I personally feel one is a little bit too big for my tank. I can only keep the smallest of fish. Not to mention no one carries them :(

Update Time!

I decided to add a DIY CO2 kit into my tank. My plants were looking okay, but not as green and lush as they could be. I didn't know how much CO2 would really help my plants, but the difference is night and day.

It's so incredible how green and healthy they are. Compare for yourself:

No CO2
CRxFIbw.jpg

CO2 for 1 week
LYhnLRw.jpg

I could never go back now. If I had the money, I would just go a step up and get the real deal. I don't want to spend a lot on my 5 gal though, but CO2 is way too good to pass up now.

I don't have a drop checker yet, but based on my pH and kH, I am guessing that I am around 35 ppm of CO2.

Before I was using excel for the carbon, and while excel isn't bad, it's no where near close to a DIY CO2 kit. However, you can see I got a resurgence of green algae. It's okay though, I will harvest it to feed to my daphnia.

Anyways, it's just so amazing what a little bit of CO2 will do for you.

You might have noticed the little red guys too. Yup, I got some beautiful painted fire red shrimp. A really generous gentleman sold them for a $1 each :D

I'm still waiting for the chili rasboras as none of my lfs have them right now.

Anyways, it's been a month since I started and I couldn't be happier with my tank. I'll take better pics when my tank comes even more together.

Please feel free to comment. Leave your opinions or criticisms, maybe something you like, or have any questions for me. Oh, and can anyone recommend me a pressurized CO2 kit for under $75? Thanks.

Next update will probably be a week after I get my chili rasboras or when my carpet thickens. Thanks for looking! :)

You carpeting with baby's breath still? It's so funny that you decided to do CO2! I was just thinking today of doing that in my Betta's 10 gallon, but I'm afraid to mess it up! I will think more on it...and to think I wanted a low tech tank and already started to add ferts and now thinking of CO2! It's addicting! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Haha, yeah it can be quite addicting, but the payoff is great too. My baby tears recovered rather quickly, so I haven't given up on them. They are pearling now with the addition of CO2. Just keep in mind that if you do add CO2, you enter a whole new realm of balancing. It's not as simple as putting some CO2 in your tank and everything will be fine.

This tank is really easily affected by the presence and absence of CO2. Because I am using a DIY CO2 kit, I have to monitor everything. Too much CO2? pH drops, shrimp suffocate. Not enough CO2? pH spikes. Balancing is very hard right now and CO2 is rather new to me.

It takes a lot of effort if you go with DIY CO2 system, until you find that perfect blend of ingredients. I don't mind posting my CO2 recipe once I find the perfect mix for around 25 - 30 ppm of CO2 in a 5 gal tank at a pH of 6.4 - 6.8 and a KH of 5 - 6dH.

You also just got a betta in the tank right? A betta would be more forgiving (as long as the pH doesn't fluctuate too much) of over injecting CO2, since they can breathe straight from the air.

How are you diffusing the co2?

I actually experimented with different ways to diffuse, but this was the best result for a DIY CO2 in my tank:

I wanted the CO2 to diffuse extremely well with the water and be able to mix thoroughly throughout my tank, so I figured an adaption of the powerhead method of CO2 injection would work. Everything else just doesn't disperse the CO2 well enough.

As you can see, I have a HOB filter that I use in addition to the stock filter. I use it to house the most nitrifying bacteria as possible and to aerate my tank for my shrimp since the stock filter sucks at that.

What I did was run my CO2 line directly into the sponge prefilter. From there, the CO2 would travel up the filter and into the propeller where it would be finely mixed and poured out. But it worked too well. There is no real control in a DIY CO2 kit, so I had to tune down the amount of bubbles being released.

In the end, I just placed the tube directly by the propeller in a way that half the bubbles escape to the top and the other half gets drawn in. Yes, it's a huge waste and it's why I am still figuring out the perfect blend of ingredients to get my CO2 levels just right without wasting any of the bubbles. And you can imagine how difficult it must be to balance this as the CO2 levels fluctuate in a DIY CO2 system.

It's all a matter of experimentation - which is what makes it fun - but keep in mind that in a small aquarium, balance is so so very important to the success of your tank. If you got a larger tank, there would be a lot more leeway.

Also, if you are running a fish tank larger than 10 gallons, I don't recommend this. HOB filters (from my experience) aren't great at mixing the water after 15 gallons, unless you are willing to pay for the larger models. The best way to do it I believe would be using a water pump and placing it on one side of the tank. Run the line into it and have it release all the CO2 across the tank.

Anyways, sorry for going on and on. Just so much to share :) Feel free to ask me anything or even tell me about your set up so I can share my opinion or advice.

Edit:
I forgot to tell you about the possible consequences running CO2 into a filter:
1. It makes quite a bit of noise. The propeller is mixing the CO2 with water, so there will be a lot of gurgling noises.
2. Not sure if a fact, but I believe the bacteria in my HOB are probably dying or suffering. The first thing to come into contact with the mixed CO2 are the bacteria that live there. It's acidic and I believe these bacteria are also aerobic. Meaning they need O2, so the presence of CO2 probably affects them. I do not know if there are other consequences, but it means that nitrification stops. To me, it doesn't matter since the stock filter is a massive sponge, so I am confident I have plenty of bacteria still.

So anything else going in here other than cherry shrimp? I want to pick up one of these tanks, but I already have cherry shrimp. Do you like the tank? Any other stocking ideas?

I actually experimented with different ways to diffuse, but this was the best result for a DIY CO2 in my tank:

I wanted the CO2 to diffuse extremely well with the water and be able to mix thoroughly throughout my tank, so I figured an adaption of the powerhead method of CO2 injection would work. Everything else just doesn't disperse the CO2 well enough.

As you can see, I have a HOB filter that I use in addition to the stock filter. I use it to house the most nitrifying bacteria as possible and to aerate my tank for my shrimp since the stock filter sucks at that.

What I did was run my CO2 line directly into the sponge prefilter. From there, the CO2 would travel up the filter and into the propeller where it would be finely mixed and poured out. But it worked too well. There is no real control in a DIY CO2 kit, so I had to tune down the amount of bubbles being released.

In the end, I just placed the tube directly by the propeller in a way that half the bubbles escape to the top and the other half gets drawn in. Yes, it's a huge waste and it's why I am still figuring out the perfect blend of ingredients to get my CO2 levels just right without wasting any of the bubbles. And you can imagine how difficult it must be to balance this as the CO2 levels fluctuate in a DIY CO2 system.

It's all a matter of experimentation - which is what makes it fun - but keep in mind that in a small aquarium, balance is so so very important to the success of your tank. If you got a larger tank, there would be a lot more leeway.

Also, if you are running a fish tank larger than 10 gallons, I don't recommend this. HOB filters (from my experience) aren't great at mixing the water after 15 gallons, unless you are willing to pay for the larger models. The best way to do it I believe would be using a water pump and placing it on one side of the tank. Run the line into it and have it release all the CO2 across the tank.

Anyways, sorry for going on and on. Just so much to share :) Feel free to ask me anything or even tell me about your set up so I can share my opinion or advice.

Edit:
I forgot to tell you about the possible consequences running CO2 into a filter:
1. It makes quite a bit of noise. The propeller is mixing the CO2 with water, so there will be a lot of gurgling noises.
2. Not sure if a fact, but I believe the bacteria in my HOB are probably dying or suffering. The first thing to come into contact with the mixed CO2 are the bacteria that live there. It's acidic and I believe these bacteria are also aerobic. Meaning they need O2, so the presence of CO2 probably affects them. I do not know if there are other consequences, but it means that nitrification stops. To me, it doesn't matter since the stock filter is a massive sponge, so I am confident I have plenty of bacteria still.

Ok thanks I have everything for my co2 system but a method of diffusion. I have an internal sponge filter and a HOB. Tank is 25 gallons or so (diy). I was considering running the co2 line into my internal filter which disperses into the line of my HOBs dispersion as this would result In an adequate dispersion.
For my recipe I was going to start off at a small ratio and gradually increase the proportions of yeast.
My dad does homebrew though and we have several 20l kegs on tap at a time. So maybe he may have a suggestion on diffusion. He has enough yeast (about 15 different kinds) for me to borrow a pinch of one of them.

So anything else going in here other than cherry shrimp? I want to pick up one of these tanks, but I already have cherry shrimp. Do you like the tank? Any other stocking ideas?
Yup, the last livestock I plan on getting are chili rasboras. I think they would help really bring out the red in my tank, along with my cherry's.
Other species of rasboras would do well too. Galaxy, emerald, exclamation mark, phoenix, etc. Be careful though, they might destroy your shrimp colony due to some of their shoaling behavior.
I've kept small numbers of guppies in here too. I don't recommend over 8 guppies at one time, unless they are all frys/juvies.
A dwarf puffer would also enjoy this tank too. They are one of my favourite fish. Such big personalities and their curiosity makes them very interesting pets. Do not keep them with anything else in a 5 gallon though. I personally believe a 5 gal is the minimum for a single pea puffer, but make sure it's heavily planted.
One last suggestion: a betta fish. It's one I am thinking of if I cannot find any chili rasboras. Again, they will likely eat your shrimp, so I am currently on the fence about one.
A good rule of thumb is if it grows up to 1.5 inches or over, it's probably too big for this tank. Also, don't try to make it a community tank. Think single species.

And while I do enjoy this tank, there are some drawbacks to it as well:
1. It's pricey
2. It's stock light sucks. Only acceptable for low light plants.
3. It's stock filter is only decent at best.

But it's a very nice looking fish tank. It's longer than tall which is what I prefer. And it's actually a really decent tank for entry level. I do not recommend it for people who desire a higher level of fauna and flora, but if you are new to the hobby, it's a very solid tank. You can see how much I modified mine to fit my own needs.

Ok thanks I have everything for my co2 system but a method of diffusion. I have an internal sponge filter and a HOB. Tank is 25 gallons or so (diy). I was considering running the co2 line into my internal filter which disperses into the line of my HOBs dispersion as this would result In an adequate dispersion.
For my recipe I was going to start off at a small ratio and gradually increase the proportions of yeast.
My dad does homebrew though and we have several 20l kegs on tap at a time. So maybe he may have a suggestion on diffusion. He has enough yeast (about 15 different kinds) for me to borrow a pinch of one of them.

Yeah for your 25 gallon, I think spending like $5 or $10 would be worth it for a water pump to disperse that CO2. However, depending on the placement of your plants and your HOB, I think your method would definitely suffice too.
You are lucky that you have access to all these different types of yeast. I only have bakers yeast. haha
I can't find the article, but I am sure you can google which type of yeast is best. It recommended active yeast over inactive yeast and also talked about other types as well. Good luck experimenting for the perfect recipe :)

Yup, the last livestock I plan on getting are chili rasboras. I think they would help really bring out the red in my tank, along with my cherry's.

Other species of rasboras would do well too. Galaxy, emerald, exclamation mark, phoenix, etc. Be careful though, they might destroy your shrimp colony due to some of their shoaling behavior.

I've kept small numbers of guppies in here too. I don't recommend over 8 guppies at one time, unless they are all frys/juvies.

A dwarf puffer would also enjoy this tank too. They are one of my favourite fish. Such big personalities and their curiosity makes them very interesting pets. Do not keep them with anything else in a 5 gallon though. I personally believe a 5 gal is the minimum for a single pea puffer, but make sure it's heavily planted.

One last suggestion: a betta fish. It's one I am thinking of if I cannot find any chili rasboras. Again, they will likely eat your shrimp, so I am currently on the fence about one.

A good rule of thumb is if it grows up to 1.5 inches or over, it's probably too big for this tank. Also, don't try to make it a community tank. Think single species.

And while I do enjoy this tank, there are some drawbacks to it as well:

1. It's pricey

2. It's stock light sucks. Only acceptable for low light plants.

3. It's stock filter is only decent at best.

But it's a very nice looking fish tank. It's longer than tall which is what I prefer. And it's actually a really decent tank for entry level. I do not recommend it for people who desire a higher level of fauna and flora, but if you are new to the hobby, it's a very solid tank. You can see how much I modified mine to fit my own needs.

Yeah for your 25 gallon, I think spending like $5 or $10 would be worth it for a water pump to disperse that CO2. However, depending on the placement of your plants and your HOB, I think your method would definitely suffice too.

You are lucky that you have access to all these different types of yeast. I only have bakers yeast. haha

I can't find the article, but I am sure you can google which type of yeast is best. It recommended active yeast over inactive yeast and also talked about other types as well. Good luck experimenting for the perfect recipe :)

Ok thank you for the help there. When you find a yeast you like you can cultivate it.

IkWesAT.jpg
WFxFsev.jpg
VRhAQFw.jpg

I know I said I wouldn't update til my carpet gets thicker or I finalize my stock, but I came home today and the tank just looked so great.
Haha, sorry, a bit proud I guess ^-^;

Anyways, for real though, next update will have those chili rasboras or the carpet is actually covering most of the substrate. Probably in a month if the former.
Leave your comments and suggestions if you'd like :)

You should be proud...your tank looks great. Nice write up on the DIY CO2. I did that for about 8 months in a planted tank and had similar observations/challenges. Ended up going with a pressurized setup. I have a shrimp tank as well but not happy with the layout (crypts overgrown, can't see the livestock).
Anyhow, I am looking forward to the updates.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You should be proud...your tank looks great. Nice write up on the DIY CO2. I did that for about 8 months in a planted tank and had similar observations/challenges. Ended up going with a pressurized setup. I have a shrimp tank as well but not happy with the layout (crypts overgrown, can't see the livestock).
Anyhow, I am looking forward to the updates.

That means a lot, thank you Fresh2o! :)
I really want to go pressurized, but I cannot commit to it right now (and I don't have the cash). One day, for certain. I'm a believer in CO2 now :p

Until then, I have figured out the near perfect mix for my yeast:

2L bottle, 1/2 tsp yeast, 1/2 tsp baking powder, 1 1/2 cups of sugar

This gives me about 0.5-1 BPS for a week and a half which still allows me to get some pearling happening, while not harming my livestock. I'd rather be under than over. From calculations of pH and KH (and some guessing), I think my CO2 is at around 15 ppm.

I leave it running all night since it's low and my filters provide really good surface agitation. The goal is to just build up a little bit of CO2 so that when the lights come back on, the plants have plenty to take in along with the constant supply of CO2 all day. Been doing this for a week now and seems to be working. Will modify as I progress, but my HC appears happy.

Wow! Great tank! I'm about to get started on my own aquascape and this I really like your setup. I will definitely be using some elements from your tank. It is beautiful. Keep us posted, looking forward to seeing updates!

Back
Top Bottom