My first baby Neon Tetras in my tank :D

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bambam1

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just looked in my map turtle’s tank, which is my sump. I found it’s full of baby Neon Tetra :D but need to get them out of there is it okay to use a net on them because they are really small :S if I leave them in there they are going to be eaten :(

I have never thought of making a sump into a turtle/amphib tank... that is such a good idea!

You can use a net, however a cup or similar container may work better and be less stressful. Plus they won't get stuck in the net. Happens sometimes. XD

Thank you, it seems to work well but I bid make the door to clean and service the sump little to small other than that really good.

That was what I was afraid may happen them getting stuck in it there so small it’s hard to see them in the water let alone in a net.

Makes sense. What I used to do when I caught mosquito fish fry to feed to my betta was to place a ziploc bag and make it stay open somehow (i used staples which is fine if you plan on throwing the bag out later anyways) then I would position it infront of them on a stick (you could use a chopstick or the like) and finally use your hand, shadow, or the net to kinda scare them into the bag.

That sounds like a good idea. Il try it tomorrow and let you know if it works.Thank you :)

Thank you for your help icydeath. used a jug took me over 2 hours but there all out now I think :) How big should I leave them before putting them with the other fish?

It's a cool.idea on paper but.. wouldn't the turtle foul the water your attempting to clean for the tank? Does.the turtle live in the return water? Pics of baby neons? Never ever seen them!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It's a cool.idea on paper but.. wouldn't the turtle foul the water your attempting to clean for the tank? Does.the turtle live in the return water? Pics of baby neons? Never ever seen them!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The filters do a good job of taking the foul out but I have to way over filter the water, same as any turtle tank. Do water test's regular never got any ammonia in the water. yes the turtles live in the return water. I tried taking photo's but the babies are sooo small and can not see them properly - ive attached the photos.

Attachments

• DSC02459.jpg
    DSC02459.jpg
    184.9 KB · Views: 120
  • DSC02469.jpg
    DSC02469.jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 101
  • DSC02463.jpg
    DSC02463.jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 110
Wow they really are tiny!

Sent from my iPhone using my fat fingers covered in chocolate...

Yes they are and the 1s you can see in the pitcher is the bigger 1s cant see the smaller 1s

Did you set out to breed the neons? I have been reading up on doing that and every article I read says it is hard to get the eggs to hatch. What conditions did you use to get babies? I am getting another 10 gallon tank given to me and thought about setting up a spawning tank for a couple of my neons. I have a male and female that spawn regularly but non of the eggs make it because I have so much light on that tank.

Did you set out to breed the neons? I have been reading up on doing that and every article I read says it is hard to get the eggs to hatch. What conditions did you use to get babies? I am getting another 10 gallon tank given to me and thought about setting up a spawning tank for a couple of my neons. I have a male and female that spawn regularly but non of the eggs make it because I have so much light on that tank.

No sorry I didn't intend on them breading. I really couldn't tell you how they was just there in the sump.

I have been reading up on how to bread Tetras. Could the eggs have been pushed down the return pipes in the main tank, down to the bio ball part of the sump that is pitch black where they have hatched?

Hmm.. That would make sense. OR YOU HAVE LIVEBEARING NEON TETRAS?! :p

In all seriousness, is it possible the eggs were spawned in a dark area? Like a rock formation or something? They probably just got sucked into the bioball area. Oh do you have all your neons? One of the adults might have gotten sucked in and laid her eggs in the bioball area.

Must be the rock formation, fish cant fit through return to sump. I've attached photo's of my lay out - design. The in-let and out-let of my fx5 are in these two photo's. The out-let is under the rocks so you will be unable to see it. I will put up another post showing the sump filter and pump.

Attachments

• DSC02514.jpg
    DSC02514.jpg
    206.6 KB · Views: 78
  • DSC02480.jpg
    DSC02480.jpg
    182.4 KB · Views: 91
1st Photo - Is of the pump and internal filter in sump with air stones (couldn't get a very good picture)

2nd Photo - The return to sump

3rd Photo - The second return to sump with bio balls (cant see very well on
photo)

4th Photo - The in-let to return to sump, there are two in the tank, only took photo of one of them

Attachments

• DSC02503.jpg
    DSC02503.jpg
    201.6 KB · Views: 81
  • DSC02508.jpg
    DSC02508.jpg
    251.3 KB · Views: 85
  • DSC02504.jpg
    DSC02504.jpg
    243.9 KB · Views: 82
  • DSC02496.jpg
    DSC02496.jpg
    206.4 KB · Views: 77
in-let to tank from sump and above water level in sump

Attachments

• DSC02494.jpg
    DSC02494.jpg
    252.7 KB · Views: 79
  • DSC02501.jpg
    DSC02501.jpg
    249.4 KB · Views: 69
I would say you just got lucky and some of the eggs managed to hide in the rocks and avoid the light. In the wild they have lots of leaves and stuff on the river bottom for the eggs to sink into. If they spawned when the lights were out it would give the eggs time to settle into the rocks. I can't wait to started on a breeding tank and try to raise some neons myself. My other tanks are high light, I have a pair of tetras who spawn every time I do a big water change. Hopefully they will when I set up the proper conditions for them.

Back
Top Bottom