my first cichlid tank....?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishnova

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi! I am soon buying a 40 gallon aquarium with stand, and filter. I don't know what kind of filter...hopefully canister! This will be my second aquarium. At first I was leaning toward two fancy goldfish. I am now thinking of a cichlid tank!

I really like Oscar fish, but the 40 gallon aquarium is too small for even one! I like Oscar fish because they are big fish with awesome personalities.

I was wondering, what kind of cichlid(s) can I permanently keep in my soon to be 40 gallon? A pair, or one cichlid is what I really want! Something big, with great personality, like the Oscar. If anyone has any pointers for a cichlid noob, it shall be gratified. :)

Hi! I am soon buying a 40 gallon aquarium with stand, and filter. I don't know what kind of filter...hopefully canister! This will be my second aquarium. At first I was leaning toward two fancy goldfish. I am now thinking of a cichlid tank!

I really like Oscar fish, but the 40 gallon aquarium is too small for even one! I like Oscar fish because they are big fish with awesome personalities.

I was wondering, what kind of cichlid(s) can I permanently keep in my soon to be 40 gallon? A pair, or one cichlid is what I really want! Something big, with great personality, like the Oscar. If anyone has any pointers for a cichlid noob, it shall be gratified. :)

JDs have some personality, although I'm not sure how they would do well in a 40 Gallon long term. There's also angelfish, rams, several apistos, golden dwarf acaras, keyholes, African Butterfly cichlids, and kribinesis. You could also try a shell-dweller colony of some sort. Hope that helped you out!

Okay, I decided I want some cuckatoo apistos! Is it possible to have one cuckatoo apisto, one angel, a school of cardinal tetras(6), along with a school of cories(6), and one bristle nose pleco?? Is this overetocked for a 40 gallon? If I have room, can I up my schools?

Sweet! How about 8 tetras? Will a German blue ram get along with a cuckatoo apisto? Thinking of a German blue ram instead of the bristlenose pleco...

Yer 8 would be ok.my stock is 3 f/m mollies 10 neon tetras 3 glowlight tetras 3 peppered corrys 2 juli corrys 1 panda Corey 2 f/m gbr 1 m double red cockatoo 1clown loach an 1 bn an they all get along good

Back
Top Bottom