My first discus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mikezilla89

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So My boss at the pet store I work at finally decided to pick up some discus, and he offered them to me at wholesale price, I couldn't help but buy two. I left them at work for now to make sure my tank is ready for them first, I'm just curious as to what I need to know. I do know that they like low ph and hardness, and high temperatures, as well as no nitrates and nitrites. Anything else I should know about keeping them?
I have a 20 long planted tank with different small tetras, some cherry barbs, a small upside down cat, couple of mystery snails, and a blue crayfish that's about 4-5 inches. I'm wondering if the crayfish is going to be an issue and harass my discus. Any thoughts or ideas on who I should get rid of?

Temperature needs to be 82-86 ph and hardness low. As with stocking they need to be with relaxed fish they get scared very easy when small. Nitrites should be at 0 anyway and nitrates need to be kept down. Other than that Discus are amazingly wonderful fish with breat colours and big personalities any fish keeper can enjoy there company.

So My boss at the pet store I work at finally decided to pick up some discus, and he offered them to me at wholesale price, I couldn't help but buy two. I left them at work for now to make sure my tank is ready for them first, I'm just curious as to what I need to know. I do know that they like low ph and hardness, and high temperatures, as well as no nitrates and nitrites. Anything else I should know about keeping them?
I have a 20 long planted tank with different small tetras, some cherry barbs, a small upside down cat, couple of mystery snails, and a blue crayfish that's about 4-5 inches. I'm wondering if the crayfish is going to be an issue and harass my discus. Any thoughts or ideas on who I should get rid of?

Hi Mikezilla89,
Sounds like you took the plunge into Discus....They're awesome!
I would just suggest keeping a close eye on that crayfish. I do belive crayfish are nocturnal wish will cause problems for Discus.

Also Discus do best in schools of five or six.
What size are the Discus you're getting?

Dennis

They're about an inch and a half, I got rid of my big blue crayfish in exchange for a mexican dwarf, and I believe their max size is 2 or 3 inches, so I'm hoping that this one won't bother them

They've been in my tank for around a week now, they're doing ok but not eating, I've tried flakes, discus pellets, freeze dried and live brine shrimp, but no luck. Could they still be stressed out from the move?

They've been in my tank for around a week now, they're doing ok but not eating, I've tried flakes, discus pellets, freeze dried and live brine shrimp, but no luck. Could they still be stressed out from the move?

They should of settled in by now. Do you know what the fish store people were feeding them?

Dennis

We haven't gotten the ones at our store to eat either, not sure what the wholesaler was feeding them

DiscusDennis said:
Maybe try some frozen blood worms.

Dennis

Yeah I was thinking that or some live black worms. Also my tank isn't overpopulated, but busy most of the day. The discus have a little hiding place in some plants but I'm wondering of the hustle n bustle of my little tetras could stress them out at all

Definately try some frozen blood worms or live black worms.
Live black worms are my fishes favorite!

Dennis

My discus were exactly the same, very perticular over what they eat. match what the seller was feeding them. Then i would gradually introduce bloodworm and my discus love cockles and krill. Welcome to the world of keeping discus!

Do to a lot of back history; I've unintentionally put my discus through **** and back.

So tips for you:

Discus cannot tolerate ammonia. Do not not let it go any where near .25ppm. They will get sick.

Do not let nitrate get above 20ppm; they will also get sick.

Discus cannot tolerate busy tanks. They will eat; but not like they are supposed to. They will color up; but not like they are supposed to.

Discus can tolerate hard water. Just wont thank you for it.

Discus can tolerate low temp water, to about 76f. Again will not love you.

Discus hate flake food as well as beefheart, however will eat bloodworms and tetra crisps (sinking grapenuts).

Discus enjoy gourami fry. Probably as a food source, but mostly for entertainment value.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom