My first fishless cycle - input requested

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ac30fan

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello everyone

So yesterday, I added ammonia. Prior to that, I'd only added stress coat & SeaChem Stability to my 29gal tank.

Testing w/ API Master Test Kit. Before adding ammonia, readings were: Ammonia: 0 / Nitrite: 0 / Nitrate: 0. No surprise there, right?

After adding ammonia last nite, todays readings are: Ammonia: 4 / Nitrites: 0 / Nitrates: 0

I added several capfuls of 4% ammonia - prior to discovering a calculator on this site for more precise dosing.

Water temp is steady 85degf (too high?). I raised after seeing it suggested on another thread.

What's the next thing I should anticipate? Is it advisable to add additional SeaChem Stability during the cycle?

I'm presently reading thru the available threads about cycling, but am hoping for a bit of feedback during the process?

Thanks all!

Bobby

Looks like you're doing good. Ammonia should be 4 & can take a week or two to drop. Once it drops to 1 dose it back to 4. Eventually you'll see nitrites & you'll be even closer to cycled. The temp is fine, some may say raise a little more. As for using stability that's hit or miss as far as working. If I'm not mistake it's supposed to be added daily for a week. It won't hurt anything if you want to use it.

For now, just wait. You might give it 4 days and test again. Whenever your ammonia drops, dose it back up to 4ppm. It takes a while before the nitrites and nitrates show up. If your pH starts to drop, do a water change and dose up ammonia. Make sure your heater is going. You can add plants if you want, too.

Hello everyone

So yesterday, I added ammonia. Prior to that, I'd only added stress coat & SeaChem Stability to my 29gal tank.

Testing w/ API Master Test Kit. Before adding ammonia, readings were: Ammonia: 0 / Nitrite: 0 / Nitrate: 0. No surprise there, right?

After adding ammonia last nite, todays readings are: Ammonia: 4 / Nitrites: 0 / Nitrates: 0

I added several capfuls of 4% ammonia - prior to discovering a calculator on this site for more precise dosing.

Water temp is steady 85degf (too high?). I raised after seeing it suggested on another thread.

What's the next thing I should anticipate? Is it advisable to add additional SeaChem Stability during the cycle?

I'm presently reading thru the available threads about cycling, but am hoping for a bit of feedback during the process?

Thanks all!

Bobby

I haven't done a fishless cycle myself, but have read a lot on here about them. From
What I remember reading, you don't want to dose over 4ppm because to much ammonia can stall the cycle I believe, do I would stick with how much you are adding now to get to 4ppm. You should she nitrites soon, then eventually nitrates. The nitrite phase takes the longest. Also keep a good eye on your pH, if it gets to low it will stall the cycle. If it ever gets in he low/mid 6's do a water change to get it back up. I dont know the levels of how high nitrite and nitrate levels to watch out for because I believe that can also stall a cycle. Don't let ammonia get below 1-2ppm during the fishless cycle or the BB will die off. You could add stability if you wanted, I've read products like that are usually a hit or miss, they work for some and others it doesn't nothing for.

Just finished a fishless cycle with no seeding material. It took almost 4 weeks before the ammonia ever started dropping, so be patient! After the ammonia dropped it only took about 1 more week to complete the Ammonia-nitrite-nitrate cycle. This was in a 55-gallon tank.

Looks like you're doing good. Ammonia should be 4 & can take a week or two to drop. Once it drops to 1 dose it back to 4. Eventually you'll see nitrites & you'll be even closer to cycled. The temp is fine, some may say raise a little more. As for using stability that's hit or miss as far as working. If I'm not mistake it's supposed to be added daily for a week. It won't hurt anything if you want to use it.

Activity at last!

So 2 days ago, ammonia was holding steady at 4ppm, with no sign of nitrites/nitrates.

Today, ammonia has dropped to 1ppm and nitrites appear to be > 5 ppm because that's the high end of the color gradient scale. Nitrates appear to be high too, maybe between close to 160 ppm (this is a diff color for my eyes to decipher. I wonder if I'm colour blind?)

The nitrite/nitrate thing happened fast it seems. I thought my ammonia would drop way before buildup off the trites & trates.

So do I do a water change right away? Do I dose more ammonia into the tank after the wc?

After wc how long before I test everything all over again? Please help me avoid a stalled cycle! Thanks!

B

You can keep dosing ammonia up to 4ppm. Change the water if your pH starts to drop or if your nitrites/trates get really high.

Test every 24 hrs, do a water change to keep nitrates from being too high & Ph from dropping too low, redose ammonia to 4.

Test every 24 hrs, do a water change to keep nitrates from being too high & Ph from dropping too low, redose ammonia to 4.

Replaced 10gal of 29gal tank today, with Prime

Waited an hour. Took readings, and here are today's results:

pH: steady at 8.4
Ammo: .25
Nitrites: still at 5
Nitrates: 40 - 80

Adding more ammo to bump back to 4ppm.

Am I on track?

Did I stall? Is it common to have the exact same readings as yesterday?

I dosed back to 4ppm last night. Tonight ammonia is still at 4 & nitrites are unchanged from yesterday too...

Shouldn't ammonia have dropped again if things are proceeding?

That's weird. Are you sure about how much you dosed last night?

Pretty sure. I did small, incremental doses and final reading was the desired 4ppm.

I may test again in a little while. Other than that, I guess I'll just wait & see what tomorrow brings. Any need for a water change or anything else to jump-start things, or should I just be patient?

Hopefully back on track

pH = 8.4
Ammo = .5
Nitrites = 5+
Nitrates = 20
--------------------

I think I prob overdosed my tank on Wed, which raises a question since I prob need to add more Ammo today:

I'm using 10% ammo (janitorial strength, found at Ace hardware which is what I saw recommended on the forum), and a dosing calculator posted in another thread. The calculator provides measurements in milliliters, which I then convert to household measurements, tsp etc...

How does everyone administer their correct dosage? Should I invest in an eye dropper that shows units in milliliters? The API kit only has a marking at 5ml

I added approx half the recommended dosage on Wed, waited an hour, tested, and added the remaining dose. Did I maybe not wait long enough between doses?

Sorry if this is a dumb question, and as always thanks for sharing your advice

B

An syringe is probably a good idea. When i did my fishless cycle I used a turkey baster and just counted the drops it took to get it to 4 (it took some adding, waiting, testing, adding more and counting to get the right dose), then I just added the same amount of drops when needing to dose to 4 again; I added half the drops to get it to 2, etc.

When i did my fishless cycle I used a turkey baster and just counted the drops it took to get it to 4 (it took some adding, waiting, testing, adding more and counting to get the right dose), then I just added the same amount of drops when needing to dose to 4 again; I added half the drops to get it to 2, etc.

Sounds like a methodical way to calibrate the right dose. How soon after dosing is it appropriate to take another reading, and dose again?

Back
Top Bottom