My First Painted Background

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rebel1970

Aquarium Advice Activist
20 Gallon Long. This is my forst attempt. What do you think?? :whistle:
First I cleaned the glass with alcohol and then wiped it down with liquid deglosser. I used blue painters tape to use for the stencils. I printed the images off of the internet and then cut them out with a single edged razor blade. I then drew the images onto the blue tape and again cut them out with the razor. I used one coat of flat white rust-oleum. This way if it didn't cover completely, I figured that the black would fill in the voids and add a little contrast to the images. I used 2 coast of flat black rust-oleum and let dry for several hours. Incase you have never used oil based paint before, open a window, and turn on a fan!!! The flat paint will look like gloss when viewed through the glass. Painting over the white sea images with black will make them pop out as you view them. I plan to have this tank lightly planted as well. The images should still show up as if in the ocean. More pictures in the next post.

Attachments

• IMG_8498.jpg
    IMG_8498.jpg
    218.6 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_8499.jpg
    IMG_8499.jpg
    201 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_8503.jpg
    IMG_8503.jpg
    200.7 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_8500.jpg
    IMG_8500.jpg
    192.4 KB · Views: 73
Here is the finished product before I start to add water and get it into the cycling mode.

Attachments

• IMG_8504.jpg
    IMG_8504.jpg
    164.3 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_8507.jpg
    IMG_8507.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_8508.jpg
    IMG_8508.jpg
    197.2 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_8509.jpg
    IMG_8509.jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 83
cute!

looking at the background, its only fitting to have sharks in the tank too! hehehehe (although, I don't think any will fit :( )

Rebel1970 said:
Here is the finished product before I start to add water and get it into the cycling mode.

When r u gonna add water and light and cycle. I wanna see those pics

I will add the water in a few days. I need to get a filter and am waiting on plants to arrive.

Back
Top Bottom