My first planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BeachBum2012

Aquarium Advice Activist
17g Low Tech setup end of December '09

Coralife F/W T-5 Aqualight Double Strip Light with one colormax full spectrum and one 6500k bulb (28w total)
Black Tahitian Moon Sand (inert)
Aquaclear 20 with sponges only
No dosing as of yet
Root tabs are on their way

Flora:
Spiral Val
Ludwigia repens?
Ludwigia peruensis
Needle Leaf Java Fern
Narrow Leaf Java Fern
Java Fern
Hygrophila Corymbosa
Hair Grass
Dwarf Onion
Java Moss
Some sort of rotelas?
(all of these came in a low light starter pack from a member of another forum)

Also have some sort of Anubius and grass like plant in the front left that I'm not sure of. Any help with better plant ids would be great,

Fauna:
16 Cardinal Tetras
Looking to add RCS when I'm sure everything is settled in.

So... What do you think for my first try? Any ideas, advice or criticism is welcome. Thanks for looking

img_1067585_0_20876d51874476f07602e4c074a76e3b.jpg

img_1067585_1_d67a945a38345bc3e7102f9e1b07703f.jpg

img_1067585_2_c457d03660b905760a2f5d77c07b76c2.jpg

Sorry for the bad pics. Camera phone. Going to have to invest in a better camera for shrimp photos in the near future.

Looks very nice. I think a black background would really make your plants jump out at you. Keep us updated!

It looks really good once if fills in it will look even better!

Is your anubia rhizome buried?

Thanks all.

Meegosh, I'm actually heading to get my background this morning. Great minds huh.

Joy, It was when I took that photo. After some more research I have fixed it. Good catch.

Oh and it does look like Ludwigia repens, aka Red Ludwigia. I just bought two bunches of them from my LFS, got some new leaves on it just in the past two days. Keep us updated!

Oh and it does look like Ludwigia repens, aka Red Ludwigia. I just bought two bunches of them from my LFS, got some new leaves on it just in the past two days. Keep us updated!

The one right in the middle?

Its been growing great. I'd say more than an inch in the 9 days that I've had it. That whole red set of leaves wasn't there when I planted. Its started to pick up some staghorn algae so I'm going to have to do something about that quickly. Its my favorite plant right now and I'd hate to have to cut it out.

I have my background but haven't put it on yet. I have moved a few things and picked up 3 ottos today. The Excell has helped with the hair algae (there is still some but its less every day) so I figured I'd get these little guys to help with the other algae.

img_1070298_0_c702a67b16582c34fdf4bf9af1c89a04.jpg

My favorite plant and one of my new Ottos

img_1070298_1_ec2c49e9f8cfb32605d29b633c8d91ea.jpg

Another shot with some Cardinals in the background.

img_1070298_2_efd0b13817ac7580acbcd1c59f95222e.jpg

New growth. Anyone know what this plant is called?

img_1070298_3_ad0f71a4a307af6b8b904be8fd35ee59.jpg

One more of the new Ottos

What do you guys think?

i am starting a 55g planted community, i only hope that it can look half as good as all the tanks that are on here, you guys are my Inspiration

i am starting a 55g planted community, i only hope that it can look half as good as all the tanks that are on here, you guys are my Inspiration

Wow, thanks a lot. This is my first attempt. Its only been up for a little over a month now. I'm glad you like it and I agree that this in an inspiring place.

By looking at some of the stuff I've seen you post on here I doubt you'll have any problem venturing into a large planted tank. You've got some nice tanks up already. The 90 is great.

I'm working on setting up a 55 myself but to breed Flowerhorn in. After I'm done with that one and getting that project going Im thinking about trying one of my other larger thanks with plants and a full co2/high light setup. I figure that's at least 6 months off so I have a lot of time to learn (and save).

Thanks for the vote of confidence. also thanks for the complement on the 90 that was a 6 month project. i am just thankful my wife let me setup another tank lol.

That is a beautiful tank. Not sure what those plants you're asking about are. I'm a newb to the planted tank world myself

Thank you for the kind words. The "unknown" plant on the right has been identified as Mondo Grass, which is not aquatic and has since been removed and now lives in a little pot on my front porch.

Good look with your planted tank adventure. Mine has been fun so far.

Back
Top Bottom