My First Saltwater Nano

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NasB

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey, I'm starting my first saltwater tank 10g. Always wanted to start one just couldn't afford it but I've been researching for a while .

This is Day 2 of the tank cycling of Fiji live rock. Advice would be great.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1394735442.373384.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1394735455.727801.jpg

I'll be following along. Could you give a few more details on your build? Will this be a reef? If so, you'll need to upgrade the lights.

Looking forward to seeing it progress :)

Ok so I have a:

Marineland led light hood
ViaAqua Quartz Heater 100w
AquaClear power filter 20g
Jp-110 powerhead ( I lost box not sure name)

And yea I'm getting more rocks tomorrow if I can get there. Should I upgrade my light?

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1394754386.597839.jpg

If you are planning on corals then you definitely need a highly upgraded light. If it's FOWLR you don't need an upgrade, unless you want more light.

Yea plan on getting corals, do I need my powerhead on while cycling? It blows the sand too much it's annoying

If you need any light suggestions I would recommend a par bulb... Cheap and effective!

Btw, you should have your ph on during cycling to create circulation. You want ammonia to be created, but you also don't want stagnant smelly water. If your ph is blowing the sand I would recommend pointing it more towards the surface (more surface agitation never hurts ;) )

Ok I'll move it around and yea those lights look amazing. What day should I start testing? I have an API master test kit

Or the led strips that I got for $35 on ebay

You just have to be a rebel with your "35 dollar lights that work way better than anyone bought they would" :) . Seriously though, pretty amazing you found such a nice deal on good lights!

Ok I'll move it around and yea those lights look amazing. What day should I start testing? I have an API master test kit

Do a test every day to track your ammo spikes and so on. Once you get a feel for your cycles progression you can slow down as much as you want too, so long as you have a good idea of what stage you're at.

Btw, are you planning on doing any more tests? I do kh and calcium (calcium for the lps)
I think kh is good to do, but I'm not sure it's required, at least while you're cycling.

Yea the kit has all, ph nitrite nitrate calcium, etc. I'll start test tomorrow. It's only second day.

The rocks came out of petco tank and there is a few snails that we're hiding on it.

Thanks and I would like to have mushrooms polyps maybe hammer coral , I like the colors, not sure on fish though. Suggestions for fish in 10 gal?

Thanks and I would like to have mushrooms polyps maybe hammer coral , I like the colors, not sure on fish though. Suggestions for fish in 10 gal?

How about a clown goby and a yellow banded possum wrasse?

Back
Top Bottom