My First Tank (10G) Journal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How about some small puffer fish? I remember one of the members here had a little puffer fish, and it looked pretty vicious.

How about some small puffer fish? I remember one of the members here had a little puffer fish, and it looked pretty vicious.

Well I wouldn't suggest a puffer for a beginner.

For one they need brackish water to live longer and more comfortablely, which is like half way between full salt water and full fresh water.

For two they can be stubborn eaters and won't always adapt to flake foods, a lot prefer live or more expensive fozen/freeze dried foods, which makes feeding more trouble some.

For three, there are not a ton of plants that will work with brackish water condintions.

Like I said before, start off your very first tank with some simple hardy small inexpensive fish, and once you are comfortable with the hobby then you can get more expensive and more challenging fish.

Don't want to jump into the deep end of a pool if you can't swim, you need to start off on the shallow end and learn to swim, then go for the challenge.

I think there are 2 or so types of freshwater puffers. I also wouldn't suggest puffers for a first fish, as I think a community tank gives you the flexibility to add the fish you want. Dwarf puffer tanks are almost exclusively puffers (maybe an oto here or there)

From a quick search, I think you can have 2-3 pairs of brevis in a 10 gallon tank. Good thing about this is that even though they are somewhat territorial (they love their shell) they stay in the bottom few inches of the tank, so that means you can add some mid-top fish. Problem for me, is that I couldn't find any brevis around where I live.

Then I'll just throw some peppered cories in there to start. Then I'll add a few neolamprologus multifasciatus or brevis.

I am taking your advice, otherwise I would've just gotten neon tetras or something, then let the cichlids eat them a few weeks later lol... Didn't you recommend to start with 2-3 peppered cories?

I don't think cories would get along very well with those Neolamprologus, because Neolamprologus are cichlids, which means they can be aggressive towards other fish and also enjoy a higher pH than cories.

I am taking your advice, otherwise I would've just gotten neon tetras or something, then let the cichlids eat them a few weeks later lol... Didn't you recommend to start with 2-3 peppered cories?

Yes but I also recommend staying away from cichlids because they take different care for them then normal community fish, and they will most likely attack/kill your cories. If you get those cichlids those are most likely the only fish you get in that tank. Getting community fish you can mix n match fish.

Honestly, do what you want i'm just trying to make some suggestions to you that i've learned in my experience so you have a good walk into the hobby instead of getting angry with it at the beginning.

The hobby is full of trial and error, get whatever fish you want and if it doesn't work out for you there is your error.

Well you have gotten a lot of good advice so far, and I haven't even made it through the rest of this thread yet but I know that Petsmart and fish stores keep a lot of fish in small tanks because they have high turnovers. I suggest you hit the articles section of this site as well, and research research research before you make any purchases or decisions you are not sure about. This site is very helpful and if you have questions, (as you can see lol) they will be answered fairly quick.

Sorry I didn't make it clear, but I won't have cories and cichlids together. I will start with cories, and after I get more comfortable/a bigger tank, I will get some cichlids (not in the same tank as cories). And thanks for all the advice, you guys have been more than helpful!

Hey guys, I forgot to add the dechlorinator yesterday after setting up the tank. The bottle says that the dechlorinator also removes ammonia, so should I add it now, then add more ammonia later?

And here's the reading from this morning. I'm a little color blind, what would you say the level of ammonia is?

No flash:
img_1128428_0_4bc374b9af065ed0737c046025845c85.jpg

With flash:
img_1128428_1_c8910e81764ab9c336ae64cc41ca0bff.jpg

The water seems to be getting a little cloudy compared to yesterday, any idea why this is?

I made some minor adjustments to the tank today...

1. Moved the heater so it's on the same corner as the filter.
2. Upped the temperature to 82.
3. Cut the dead leaves off of the plant.
4. Added some Prime Dechlorinator, which lowered the ammonia level to ~2ppm, so I had to add more ammonia to bring it up to ~5ppm.
5. Tank got a bit cloudy, not sure if you can tell from the picture below, but the top one is from 24 hours ago.

Yesterday:

img_1128686_0_a17869e5afe8d3d350a994b813a8b8e1.jpg

Today:

img_1128686_1_119459fd690d77f6796e3cde51b28409.jpg

Back
Top Bottom