My first tank! 10g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I got the gravel from my mother-in-law's tank. I've obviously got the bacteria in the tank so I don't know how much help more seed would be now.

I'm getting some plants from Joy in a couple days. This will help with bacteria surfaces and give me something to play with while I wait for fish.

I saw some puffers (dwarf I think) at the lfs I went to on Saturday. They were sooooooooo cute!! I looked them up online and found out that puffers are not for me. No way. Too bad because these little guys were adorable. /swoon

I'm thinking a community tank. I'm going to push the limits of my little 10g. I don't like overstocking, but <insert a million excuses to justify here>.

What I like:
Male Endlers
Cherry Barbs
Harlequin Rasboras
Otocinclus

I'm still not sure. I'm going fish-looking this weekend to see what's available and what I like.

Day 10 (9-4): Ammonia = 2.0+ NitrIte = 5.0
Day 11 (9-5): Ammonia = 2.0+ NitrIte = 5.0
Day 12 (9-6): Ammonia = 1.0+ NitrIte = 5.0
~added more ammonia. Ammonia = 2.0 NitrIte = 5.0
Day 13 (9-7): Ammonia = 1.0+ NitrIte = 5.0
~added more ammonia. Ammonia = 2.0 NitrIte = 5.0
~tested again Ammonia = 1.0, added more.
Day 14 (9-8 ): Ammonia = 1.0+ NitrIte = 5.0
Day 15 (9-9): Ammonia = .50 NitrIte = 5.0
~added more ammonia.

I did some research at my LFS last week. They have a 'new' endler out now. I think it is 'apontine' (? spelling). It is very colorful (red variations) and the females aren't even out on the market yet (so says my LFS). Sounds like you plan to have an peaceful and active tank; my favorite type!

Please let us know if you find anything interesting. LFSs are as variable as the people that own them. I just wish I had more to visit in my area. Happy 'window' shopping!

I received some plants today from Joy.

plants1.pngplants2.pngplants3.png

I hope I didn't murder them.
The moss is Phoenix Moss and the other plant was a bonus, but I'm still not sure exactly what it is.

Day 15 (9-9): Ammonia = .50 NitrIte = 5.0
~added more ammonia. Ammonia = 4.0
evening: NitrIte = 5.0+ Ammonia = 2.0
Day 16 (9-10) Ammonia = 0 NitrIte = 5.0+
~added more ammonia. Ammonia = 4.0
afternoon: Ammonia = 2.0 NitrIte = 5.0+

Where's the bacteria that's supposed to be eating the NitrItes?? /search

It was actually identified as Dwarf Java Fern when it was originally given to me. There is some debate over whether or not there actually is a Dwarf Java Fern or not, but the plant has remained quite small for me the entire time that I've kept it. The cutting that I sent is off of the main part of the mother plant that I've had for just over 2 years.

planted.png

I went to a great LFS in Dallas yesterday! I bought some bacopa stem plants and anubias nana.

Day 16 (9-10) evening: Ammonia = 0 ~added 2 squirts of ammonia
Day 17 (9-11) morning: Ammonia = 0 NitrItes = 5.0+
afternoon: Ammonia = .25 NitrItes = 5.0+
~added 2 squirts of ammonia
Day 18 (9-12) afternoon: Ammonia = 0 NitrItes = ???
~added 2 squirts of ammonia
~added more new plants
Day 19 (9-13) morning: Ammonia = .25 NitrItes = ???
~added 3 squirts of ammonia

The "NitrItes = ???" is that my test can't measure nitrItes. When I add the drops in, the color immediately turns dark fuchsia. During the 5 min cure time it fades down to light purple and eventually turns a light turquoise. I assume that this means my nitrItes are too high for the test to measure.

So this is my second spike in nitrItes. I hope it gets eaten soon.

Woot! It is looking good.

Bidgette and I went to that LFS today and she ended up buying more plants for *her* tank. I am glad I finally got her to take the tank over.

Don't tell her I threw out the gravel we "borrowed."

Good! I'm glad she got some new plants. The ones she had were looking ragged.

Its not that they are all ragged, just some. Two of them that I bought originally back in March are so huge now. Their root system is about spread out about 3 inch radius, and actually touch the top of the tank. Its those that are like the front left in your tank picture above.

tank is looking really good. (y)

you know a watched pot never boils so maybe you should stop watching the tank so closely lol :silly:
Thank you, Matt.

I'm obsessed with my tank because it's like being the ruler of my own little galaxy.

Plus it's the substitute of a substitute for something I really want but can't have right now. That's what makes it so important to me. I'm hoping it will satiate a part of my soul until I can I completely fill it up.

I ordered a bag of Eco-complete from Big Al's. It will be here Monday. The sand didn't work for me. It looks nice until it gets full of debris and then it's dirty looking and vacuuming is difficult. I also don't like the way it stirs up and settles on top of all my plants.

I've been reading a ton on planted tanks and aquascaping. I'm very excited about keeping healthy plants as well as fish. I'll be acquiring a lot more plants for this tank.

I'm playing hooky from work today so I "cleaned" up my tank a bit. I untied all the plants and removed all the river rocks. I did a 50% water change. I took out the plants and picked off most of the dead parts. I re-arranged the rocks and plants into a formation I've been thinking of lately. I love it! I just need to fill it in with more plants.

last sand.jpg

Of course it will look loads better with the eco-complete instead of sand. I'll also obtain some flourish excel (as my carbon source) and Fertilizers For The Planted Tank | Ferts . I might even get into DIY CO2. I know it's not necessary with my low light, but my plants greatly benefit from it.

Cycle: It's stalled. even with 50% water change my nitrItes are 5.0 (on the chart). I haven't dosed with ammonia in 2 days. I don't know what to do. With the substrate change I will keep the scape in tank water during, but I'm replacing 100% of the water. Maybe this will help. I don't know. I'm not sure what to do about it at this point.

Playing hookie! Shame shame shame! :) Would you like to try to aquascape for me this weekend in my tank (or help me figure out how to make it better. I can be the one thats moving the stuff around)? :)

Then maybe we could all head out to a fish store or 2 (I might need some snails by then). Maybe we could talk my mom into buying you some more plants? :)

Sounds good to me! I was going to call your mom this afternoon to see if she was expecting us to come help her on Sat, but I like your idea better. ^_^ Plus I want to take a look at those rocks I left in the yard to see if I want any (unless your mom just put them in her tank). I took a look at the pics of her tank and it looks nice!

I'd definitely want to go to the Fish Gallery if we're going fish shopping. I like their plants and I want to see if they carry ferts.

One of our Directors at work suggested some test kits from them (they have them the cheapest in the area). I know my mom took one rock atleast from the yard. I just tried to get ahold of Ed, but they are very busy at the moment. I do need help figuring out how to put the rocks in my tank though if you could lend your mind:)

Mom wont be around Saturday because Kinny has a special olympics in Southlake she is going to. They will probably be there all day (starting at 8:30am). I am sure we can get something cooked on the grill if you guys wanted. Just SMS me when you know what you want to do.

My eco-complete came today. Also I bought a hygro "kompakt" at the fishy store this weekend. Need some more plants to fill in the back.

new eco left.jpgnew eco right.jpg

Back
Top Bottom