My first tank - inspired by you!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rolnd

Aquarium Advice Newbie
There are a lot of great tanks here. Love all your posts and setups. Thought I would share my 29G experience. This is my first tank and I’m absolutely enjoying it!

Some info on the setup:
Started late July 2008 with a few tetras and some plants.
AquaClear 50 hang off the back filter
Undergravel. Yes, it's a UG setup!!
200W heater
Temperature: 78F

Substrate: Cheap gravel from the LFS. Most plants are planted directly in the gravel. Some plants are potted in a gravel/sand/garden soil layered mix. Potted plants are placed on the right of the tank.

Lighting: 36” Coralife T5 2 X 39W fluorescent tubes, 1 tube is 6700K and the other I’m not sure – it’s pinkish purple in color. Bought all these used at the LFS $30CDN. I can’t complain.

Driftwood: From the local beach – you can see the barnacles. Bleached/rinsed/scrubbed/soaked for two weeks before putting in tank. No ill effect on fish/plants.

Plants: Amazon swords, pygmy swords, ludwigia repens, rotala, wisteria, hornwort, vals, bacopa, java fern, java moss (attached to driftwood) and cryptocryne lucens (very slowing growing).

The vals really thrived. They were only 5 inches tall with the tips cut and rotting when I bought them. The new growths are 3 ft long and half an inch wide.

Ferts & Dosing: Every other day 1 capful of Flourish Iron. I decided to dose with iron after seeing the amazons showing some yellowness and holes in new leaves. Works great! All other nutrients are from fish waste and the bi-weekly water change (25% each time).

CO2: None.

Inhabitants:
4 bolivian rams - 1 mating pair which spawned for the first time two weeks ago.
6 neon tetras
2 chinese algae eaters – mistakenly bought thinking they were SAEs
2 SAEs – love watching these
2 albino corys
2 pearl gouramis
1 gold angel
snails – came with the plants but I’m not complaining as they seem to be doing a great job contolling the brown and green algae...lol

I don’t do any tests on the water; therefore, I don’t know what the pH or the water hardness is. Don’t like spending money on tests when observations say all inhabitants appear to be doing well. I prune the plants with each water change.

August 25th, 2008 - one month after initial setup (no pics of bare tank as I didn't get my camera until this day).

18559-albums270-picture1696.jpg

September 13th, 2008 - close up of the pygmy sword spreading along tank

18559-albums270-picture1698.jpg

September 18th, 2008 - more shots

18559-albums270-picture1697.jpg

18559-albums270-picture1700.jpg

September 27th - some shots of the bolivians

18559-albums270-picture1701.jpg

October 16th - almost mature growth

18559-albums270-picture1702.jpg

18559-albums270-picture1704.jpg

Last edited:
Just relinked! I see them so not sure what happened!?

OK, I got it. I need to share the album with the public. DOH!!!

Looks great! My only comment is the bunch plants in the 4th photo (I assume they are hornwort) appear to be planted upside-down. It's possible they are simply long and the tips have been knocked downwards - my apologies if that's the case.

Ziggy: Reason why you could see them is because your a moderator and you have certain privileges to view the pics in the album. I had since shared the album with all viewers so all should see them now.

Tony: That is hornwort and, no it's not planted upside down. I had just added this 1 day prior to the picture being taken. I noticed it didn't look right but I'm not sure why the 'leaves' turned down like that. It could be that I had the light turned off that day and the ambient light reflected off the gravel was brighter than the top of the tank; hence, the leaves turned down to get more light??? Not sure but once I had the light turned back on, everything grew fine again.

Back
Top Bottom