my fish are dying please help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aring

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
In the last week I have lost my little baby bristle nose pleco and my 2 yr old pearl gauarami and I don't know why. I've never had problems before. The pH level is normal and so is water temp. The only fish I have left is my blue gauarami and I'm trying to mk sure he doesn't die.
I am doing a 50% water change 2day, adding an air stone and a sponge filter.
I usually fill 1 gallon jugs and put drops of dechlorinator in each one. Would it be better to just add water to tank then the dechlorinator after?
Doing it the usual way I end up using more than I need to that way.
Any advice would be great

please tell us about the tank/inhabitants and water tests and we can try to help you out. I would not add chlorinated water to the tank then adding dechlor. (which dechlor do you use btw) You may be having a mini cycle and there's no reason to risk making things worse by exposure to chlorine.

The only fish I have now is my blue gaurami. I'm using start right but I bought stress coat 2day since I will be doing a water change. Only water tests I've ever done Is the pH tests. Have only artificial plants and have sand instead of gravel. I normally use prime ( which I much prefer) and am ordering more tomorrow. No access to any around here. I will definitely add it to my water jugs then. Otherwise I've done nothing different than I have for the last 3 years.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Also the most frustrating thing is my pearl was fine when I went to bed sat nite around 1230 am and when I got up sun at 8 he was dead. Same thing with my pleco he was fine then next day he was dead

In what size tank? Any new additions, changes to feeding schedule. The more you can tell us about the setup the more we'll be able to help. Obviously something changed!

You said you were adding a sponge filter, was there no filter before?

30 gallon..nope I feed twice a day. Once in the morning and once at nite. Artificial plants, 4 decorations, submersible heater, air pump and a submersible filter. Well its one that hangs on the back but it's hangs down into the water. I just got the air stone and sponge filter but haven't introduced them yet. Honestly everything else is same thing since I've had the tank.

well really the most common reason for unexpected fish die off is a mini cycle. Do you have a test kit for ammonia nitrite or nitrate or can you go get your water tested at a store?

I would back off the feedings to once every day or every other day until you know if you are going through a mini cycle.

No I don't have that but after all this I will. Ok I will try that and ty very much

My fish seems to be much more active since we did a 50% water change. I now have a sponge filter I as well. Is it bad to also put an air stone in too?

air stone is fine. won't really help or hurt.

Did you test/ get your water tested? the improvement after the 50% water change probably means you were in a mini cycle and still might be.

Aairstone is good. Ammonia starves fish of oxygen, burns their gills.
Also it will encourage Benifical bacteria growth, i say kick up the heat and keep up the PWC for a long time until its healthy brown on the filter pad, then its "cycled"

Back
Top Bottom