My fish are dying!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm glad your mom enjoyed them. I love sharing that kind of stuff with people! S. Padre is such a fun and relaxing place to go.
I don't know if I'd listen to the people at Pet Smart. Sometimes I just think they want to be able to sell you more stuff. I would not take out all the stuff in the filter though. You will lose your BB. Just take out the carbon because that actually is what takes the "toxins" or meds out of the water. Is your filter a canister filter? I run a Fluval 405 Canister filter in my 55 gal. It has 4 baskets. One has carbon - usually, 2 baskets of bio rings, and the top one has a water polishing pad. I took the carbon out though because I thought it might be taking all my Flourish for my plants out. IDK, just my thought.

Not sure of the exact make/model. It was gifted with the tank so I don't have the box. It says Fluval 50 on the top. I think it's a canister. This is how I set it up when I firdt got it: Excuse my lack of knowledge with aquarium terms; I put the sponge looking thing on the bottom, a bag full of cork looking rocks on top of that, & the carbon bag on top of that. Which ones do you think I should put back?

She was actually pretty nice & the only thing she tried to sell me was a bag of sea shells but I already have some in there.

Now the app is crashing every time I try to add a pic. My laptop is at a friend's house. :/ I'll keep trying.

It looks like this (had to resize it)

Attachments

• edgetop.jpg
    edgetop.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 29
I see the picture. That's an HOB (Hang on Back) filter. Canisters will sit under the cabinet and have hoses that go into the tank. I would normally put the carbon on the bottom but since you are going to use meds just go ahead and tank it out. The only HOB filter I've used is for my 5 gal. Someone with more knowledge than me can chime in here if I'm wrong but I would take out the carbon, put a sponge in to catch any debris, then the ceramic rings, (or cork looking things), then another sponge on top to catch any little debris still going through the water in the filter. When you clean the filter, don't rinse off all of it at once. I'd clean one sponge in tank water in a bowl, then leave the other stuff until next time. If you clean it all at once you lose your bb (beneficial bacteria). My sponges get dirty so what I usually do is soak them in a bucket of some of the tank water when I'm cleaning and then put them back in. The next time, I'll leave them and rinse off the ceramic rings with tank water. I understand you aren't suppose to change them with new ones (sponge or rings) until they are falling apart. Then still just replace one or the other. Not both at the same time. Hopefully this will help. I hope it's not too confusing to understand my method. LOL!!

No that makes sense! I'll put a sponge & the ceramic rings back in. I haven't got a spare sponge. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated! Thanks for sharing with me even if you aren't an expert. :p

I would leave the filters in there, unless they have carbon in them. But if there isn't keep them in there and just remove the carbon. Some filters have them in them.

I'm glad I can help. I need help on here quite a bit and everyone is always so nice to help! It's a great site for us fishy people!! LOL!!
Here's a picture of my canister filter and another one of it where you can see how it's set up under my tank. Oh, that's Scooter in the picture. He's my 20 lb tabby!!
I'm throwing in a picture of my friend's 90 gal cichlid tank. They are so colorful and fun to watch! I wish my tank looked that good!!

Attachments

• 2013-04-29 20.34.33.jpg
    2013-04-29 20.34.33.jpg
    183.8 KB · Views: 40
  • 2013-04-29 20.34.11.jpg
    2013-04-29 20.34.11.jpg
    255.3 KB · Views: 45
  • 2013-04-27 18.48.19.jpg
    2013-04-27 18.48.19.jpg
    255.3 KB · Views: 45
Alright guys thanks! I put the sponge & ceramic filters back in. & good news! I found one of my Cories (the girl) & she's fine! :) So happy about that. Still missing one.. But it's good to know I saved at least one.

:) I might make a Facebook page for people who have pictures of cats being curious about aquariums. I'll have to come up with a better name though. It's too cute. You & your friend's tanks are pretty!

I tend to find the nicest people on pet related sites. Animal lovers are the best! I've only been on here for two days now & I've talked to people who speak to me as a friend would. Sadly that is a rare thing out in the world now.

I agree! I meet the best people on Facebook who are involved in dog rescues and such. Plus on here everyone is great about offering advise. And no one judges you if you aren't too good at this stuff! I get lots of great advise on here. It must me an animal thing. LOL!
I'm betting that anyone who has a cat and fish have pictures like ours. I have lots of pictures of my cats watching the fish, watching them back! LOL!!
It seems like my tank evolves every paycheck. I keep adding plants and rearranging the ones I have. It's a never ending project but it's loads of fun!!(y)

It is definitely an animal thing. We're all much more in tune with mother nature & all of her children. :) People who have a passion for other living things tend to be more passionate about life itself. We obviously for one reason or another have a greater ability and a heightened sense of the human need to nurture & care for things. It's not uncommon for animal lovers to be horticultural as well. It's all therapeutic for us & beneficial for anyone we connect with. Once again good night my fishy friends! Never stop being awesome. ;) I'll come back tomorrow afternoon with test kit results for those who were curious about it.

Hey everyone! Just wanted to let you all know my fish are doing great now! I saved one of my Cories & my black Molly had a baby! No more fungus, water chemistry is good, everyone seems happy & healthy. Thank you all for the support & help! If you'd like you can add me on Facebook @ Facebook.com/GaGa.iz.God or follow me on Twitter @Andy_Frost I'm sure I'll be back on here but just in case I'm gone for a while we can stay in touch that way.

Back
Top Bottom