My fish died! why?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Paulcm10

Aquarium Advice Freak
so today I did a 50% water change.. and then all of a sudden i see both of my fish dead :(.
how? :(
did they get shaken up from me putting the water in?

also this is the first time i did a 50% water change. usually they do okay with me just doing 15%. and i did scrub the glass to get the diatoms off as well. so could it be that i stressed them out to death? :(

did you remember to use whatever water detoxify you use?

Could the water have been contaminated with chemicals? I know some people do 50% water changes but maybe this had an effect?

I'm almost done with the cycle in my tank, and due to the high nitrites I was doing daily water changes, and I as doing at 50% water change minimum, so I do no think changing that much water caused your fish to die. I am doing fish-in cycle, and I have 3 neons and 3 platies and no fish loss yet. From what I can think of, is that the temperature of the new water was too cold or too high for your fish, or that you did not use dechlorinator. Please provide more info.

Is not gonna be from too much water taken out. I've done 75% water changes and usually do at least 50%, although lately I've cut back a bit. The main problem would be a difference between the two groups of water. If I had to guess, I'd say your temperature was way off. This can put fish into shock very quickly, especially in a small aquarium, and certain fish are more prone to shock them others.

so today I did a 50% water change.. and then all of a sudden i see both of my fish dead :(.
how? :(
did they get shaken up from me putting the water in?

also this is the first time i did a 50% water change. usually they do okay with me just doing 15%. and i did scrub the glass to get the diatoms off as well. so could it be that i stressed them out to death? :(
I accidently killed a fish once pouring the water in. the fish ran straight into the water pouring in and it smashed into the gravel on the bottom. Any chance that happened.
Or as silly as it sounds did U forget to add the water treatment stuff? It sounds silly but its an easy thing to forget.

i did everything that I'm supposed to do but i don't think i matched the water exactly... could that be it?

and after what you said namelesspoet i think i might have killed it that way... cause they kept on swimming around and it did swim right under the water but it didn't hit the sand or anything. the water made the sand float up though. at least i didn't see my fish fly off. i just know it went directly under the current.

Back
Top Bottom