My fish keep dyeing!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mahoney

Aquarium Advice Activist
I bought a brand new 20 gallon tank and added 14 new fish to it. I think I added to many at the say time and I was going to do a 75% water change cause the water looks nasty and I was going to put another filter in it

Do you own a test kit? If you do I would try to test your water. Lots of nitrates and nitrites and ammonia can harm your fish. I think a water change would help. Good luck!:) Also make sure you treat the new water you put in the aquarium!

Mahoney said:
I bought a brand new 20 gallon tank and added 14 new fish to it. I think I added to many at the say time and I was going to do a 75% water change cause the water looks nasty and I was going to put another filter in it

Huh? So u bought the tank, had no filter, immediatly filled it up and got 14 fish for it in one day??? Ya theres your problemo

redsea said:
Do you own a test kit? If you do I would try to test your water. Lots of nitrates and nitrites and ammonia can harm your fish. I think a water change would help. Good luck!:) Also make sure you treat the new water you put in the aquarium!

I have the stuff to treat the new water but I was going to have pet smart test my water for me they do it for free

Gboy66 said:
Huh? So u bought the tank, had no filter, immediatly filled it up and got 14 fish for it in one day??? Ya theres your problemo

No I had a filter on it before I put the fish in there I was just going to put another one in it cause the one doesn't seem like it is doing much

Thanks I didn't do that but I am going do a water change and hope that all the bad stiff will leave and I heard that your filter hose should be an inch away from your gravel is that true?

1. Ok, before you buy a second filter, which filter do you currently have?
  2. Buy your own test kit: API Master Test kit for Freshwater, if your lfs didn't even tell you about cycling the tank, I wouldn't trust them to be using a good test kit that will give you fairly accurate readings. (BTW, Foster and Smith also sells the kit, so no pressure to use Amazon. However it's cheaper by at least $10.00 at one of those places, than your lfs.)
  3. If you are using any sort of bacteria in a bottle / instant cycle, stop.
I know folks keep saying this, but it's worth saying again, read up on how to do a fish-in cycle. Your life for the next little while is about daily testing and if needed, water changes. Your fish will thank you and if you pay attention, you won't loose any more fish.

Good luck, happy fish herding and welcome to AA :flowers:
-M

+1 to what Mac and everyone else has said. Read the links, get your own test kit (the petstores kits are often unreliable and often they tell you your water is "fine" when it isn't), and do water changes as needed (often this will be daily). Your best option is really to return the fish and cycle the tank first. If that's not an option, keep up with the water changes. What dechlorinator are you using? Prime is the best if you can get it.

Also just out of curiosity what kind of fish do you have in the tank?

librarygirl said:
+1 to what Mac and everyone else has said. Read the links, get your own test kit (the petstores kits are often unreliable and often they tell you your water is "fine" when it isn't), and do water changes as needed (often this will be daily). Your best option is really to return the fish and cycle the tank first. If that's not an option, keep up with the water changes. What dechlorinator are you using? Prime is the best if you can get it.

Also just out of curiosity what kind of fish do you have in the tank?

I have two gaint danio fish, one knife fish, one kissing gourami fish, one silertip fish, one algae eater, one betta fish, and one dinosaur bichir in my 20 gallon tank

I have two gaint danio fish, one knife fish, one kissing gourami fish, one silertip fish, one algae eater, one betta fish, and one dinosaur bichir in my 20 gallon tank

Oh no..who sold you all of those fish (let me guess, the pet store!).

1. The Dinosaur Birchir needs to be returned; it can get aggressive and will eat anything it can fit in its mouth as it gets older, including your Gourami. It also needs a minimum of a 55 gal tank (or maybe larger; I've read length of tank is more important, 6 feet long being ideal).

2. The Giant Danios need more room. They should be in a large tank, at least 40 gals as they can get up to 5" long and they need more swimming room than a 20 gal can provide

3. The Knife fish (there are many varieties) in general can grow to 19" long. It needs a minimum of a 55 gal tank, depending on size.

4. If the Silvertips are Tetras they are schooling fish and need a number of 6 or more

With the exception of the Betta, Gourami and Silvertips (which the school needs to be filled out) the others are NOT compatible at alll in your aquarium. In some cases they'll probably kill other fish and they get way too big for a 20 gal. The Knife Fish, Birchir, and the Danios need to be returned ASAP. Unfortunately the fish stores sell you anything, but those species are not going to be happy in your tank. Sorry about that.

Forgot to add: what type of algae eater? Since your tank is new there isn't going to be anything for it to eat. I'd highly suggest supplementing with algae wafers and see if it eats it. I'd return this one too until your tank matures.

+1 to librarygirl. She is absolutely right.

However if you had an upgrade in mind I think you can keep a couple of the fish then.

True, but the upgrade would have to be very soon, in the next few months I would think. Even then I don't know if all of those would be compatible?

If he had a huge tank (110 gallons I think) a school of giant danios that was filled out wouldn't look so bad and it's big enough for the knife IMO. Most people don't have the money and time for that though.

I just upgraded from a 10 gallon tank and was going to try to get different fish cause all I had in my 10 gallon tank was goldfish. Is there any suggestions to fish I can get to have an awesome tank

Ok first, return your other fish. Those will not work. With a 20 you could keep the algea eater, gourami, fill out your silvertip school and make another school of maybe rummynose tetras

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom